Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are Law School Ranking The Most Important Variable?

PandaRamenPandaRamen Alum Member
edited October 2018 in Law School Admissions 162 karma

I am at a crossroad in which schools I should apply to. I have an LSAT score of 158 and a GPA of 3.7. My softs qualification would be that I am an engineering graduate with honors. For me, Intellectual Property Law, mainly patent prosecution, is something that really interests me.

I have read this blog post: https://medium.com/@andybrink/10-variables-more-important-than-prestige-real-factors-to-help-you-pick-a-law-school-bd8e38b023c8

It's worth reading since it includes variables other than law school rankings to consider. BUT I feel like ranking still matters with job prospects. I am planning on applying to UCI (#21) or Loyola (#65). Both are reachable schools with my numbers. I will apply to other schools, like USC etc. but that seems like a practice in futility.

To make matters simple let's just assume $0 for scholarships. I plan to be based and practice in LA. Loyola has a good program. I am considering doing a double concentration in IP and Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Law. Loyola both offer these programs. I also read that their Data Privacy Law have well known faculties. I think Cyber-anything law would become a big field in the future due to where out society is heading. I dont mind doing the extra-leg work that lower ranked schools entails. I have talked to lawyers who went from unknown-unranked law schools and are doing VERY well. They all sing the same hymn, "it's not where you get your degree, but what you do with it."

However, UCI's ranking is pushing me to highly consider them. They are really trying to be the next highly ranked school in CA. Although their alumni network is not as vast as Loyola, I heard nothing but good things from UCI. Their faculties are also top-notched and student accomodations are well praised. Their ranking, although at its infancy stage, I think would end up competing with USC and UCLA.

SO I was wondering if the community can give me any feedback on how to approach this issue. Should ranking be the top thing to consider? How about subjective issues like concentrations and future growth be considered as well?

Comments

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited October 2018 3652 karma

UCI but I wouldn’t pay money for it. I noticed you mentioned concentrations, those don’t matter to employers. Don’t worry about choosing a school when you haven’t been accepted yet.

• gettysburggettysburg Alum Member
    126 karma

I wouldn't say that ranking matters so much as employment does; rankings are just an easy way to estimate roughly how well a school can employ its graduates. However - the actual employment #s and %s, what region(s) or markets graduates end up working in, and the nature of that work (large firm, PI, small firm, solo, etc.) matter a lot.

• cqas190517cqas190517 Alum Member 🍌
    535 karma

Hey! You’re in my area! Have you visited either school? Are you also aware that you have to pass the patent bar before you can practice patent law?

I’d say the school visits are the most important thing you’ll ever do. I’ve been to UCI (Loyola isn’t on my list) and the impression I got from the open house was that the school was very bubbly, youthful and progressive. I liked it a lot, but it didn’t feel like “home” to me. They focused so much on the clinical aspect of school that I began to think that they students were roving bands of self-taught academics who had never seen a professor- the emphasis was really placed heavily on externships and clinical work.

Also, keep in mind that it’s probably best to take as many bar classes as possible while in school, because you’re essentially paying them to teach you how to pass the bar, and you can use your externhips and some electives to flesh out your program. The program or concentration is a little less important than passing the bar lol.

Overall, UCI is a great school if you want to focus really heavily on clinics, clubs, and externships, and also if you want an active alumni network and an atmosphere that focuses on social justice. Also it’s a fairly big school with a collegiate vibe. If that’s not your thing, you may not like the school. But before you accept any invitation you NEED to visit the schools you like. I thought I’d actually hate the school that turned into my first pick after I visited :)

• LAWYEREDLAWYERED Alum Member
    335 karma

@cqas190517 said:
    Hey! You’re in my area! Have you visited either school? Are you also aware that you have to pass the patent bar before you can practice patent law?

I’d say the school visits are the most important thing you’ll ever do. I’ve been to UCI (Loyola isn’t on my list) and the impression I got from the open house was that the school was very bubbly, youthful and progressive. I liked it a lot, but it didn’t feel like “home” to me. They focused so much on the clinical aspect of school that I began to think that they students were roving bands of self-taught academics who had never seen a professor- the emphasis was really placed heavily on externships and clinical work.

Also, keep in mind that it’s probably best to take as many bar classes as possible while in school, because you’re essentially paying them to teach you how to pass the bar, and you can use your externhips and some electives to flesh out your program. The program or concentration is a little less important than passing the bar lol.

Overall, UCI is a great school if you want to focus really heavily on clinics, clubs, and externships, and also if you want an active alumni network and an atmosphere that focuses on social justice. Also it’s a fairly big school with a collegiate vibe. If that’s not your thing, you may not like the school. But before you accept any invitation you NEED to visit the schools you like. I thought I’d actually hate the school that turned into my first pick after I visited :)

I think you made really great points and wholly agree with you. Visiting is really important. Do you guys think it's best to visit a bunch of schools rn or AFTER you get in? So far, I haven't visited any schools but plan to see a few of the ones I'm applying to (maybe 2-3).

• PandaRamenPandaRamen Alum Member
    162 karma

@cqas190517 said:

Yes. Ive actually been to both schools since I am based in SoCal. I think you hit the nail in the head with the UCI externships and clinic programs. I think it's because of their community based approach. From what I heard, the community around the OC area really like what UCI law is doing.

Also yes, I have looked into the patent bar. During my undergraduate year, I actually emailed a bunch of patent lawyers in the OC/LA area to get their take of the field. So I do have clear goals I just confused on which path to take. I guess the main reason I started this thread was to ask: Should Law School Ranking Matter as much as US News Report want us to believe?

535 karma

@PandaRamen said:

@cqas190517 said:

Yes. Ive actually been to both schools since I am based in SoCal. I think you hit the nail in the head with the UCI externships and clinic programs. I think it's because of their community based approach. From what I heard, the community around the OC area really like what UCI law is doing.

Also yes, I have looked into the patent bar. During my undergraduate year, I actually emailed a bunch of patent lawyers in the OC/LA area to get their take of the field. So I do have clear goals I just confused on which path to take. I guess the main reason I started this thread was to ask: Should Law School Ranking Matter as much as US News Report want us to believe?

I don’t peraoblly think ratings make much of a difference because for me, it comes down to being in an environment that I know will support my goals and then promote my transition to lawyerhood. Ratings are based primarily on medians and they can’t tell you how good Career Services is, how much the professors invest in the students, or how many programs are available. I guess if you really are concerned with the “brand” or image of a school, then rankings matter. But even a good brand and reputation of a school can’t make up for bad grades because you don’t jive with the vine of the place shrug

535 karma

@LAWYERED said:

@cqas190517 said:

I think you made really great points and wholly agree with you. Visiting is really important. Do you guys think it's best to visit a bunch of schools rn or AFTER you get in? So far, I haven't visited any schools but plan to see a few of the ones I'm applying to (maybe 2-3).

I’d say before. I knocked two off my list of five because I didn’t like the school once I visited, and that’ll save me application fees.

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

So you have a 158, that's very good. But if you get another 6-7 points, you can go to UCI with a significant scholarship. I suggest that you keep pushing yourself just that bit further so you can avoid the future pain of loan repayment :disappointed:.

3652 karma

@cqas190517 said:

They focused so much on the clinical aspect of school that I began to think that they students were roving bands of self-taught academics who had never seen a professor- the emphasis was really placed heavily on externships and clinical work.

Just popping in to say that this isn’t the best way to judge a law school. If you speak to any t12 dean, admissions director, or student, they will tell you how much the school stresses pro bono work and clinics. One t12 dean even said at an ASW, if you don’t want to do pro bono work leave right now. Most successful attorneys, even those not in public interest, do pro bono work on top of their day job.

edited October 2018 535 karma

@oshun1 said:

@cqas190517 said:

They focused so much on the clinical aspect of school that I began to think that they students were roving bands of self-taught academics who had never seen a professor- the emphasis was really placed heavily on externships and clinical work.

Just popping in to say that this isn’t the best way to judge a law school. If you speak to any t12 dean, admissions director, or student, they will tell you how much the school stresses pro bono work and clinics. One t12 dean even said at an ASW, if you don’t want to do pro bono work leave right now. Most successful attorneys, even those not in public interest, do pro bono work on top of their day job.

I think you’ve misinterpreted my comments to mean something they’re not. I wasn’t judging the school based on the clinical access they offer. I was explaining my observation that “name brand” faculty, as usually emphasized at other schools, weren’t a big part of the presentation at UCI.

3652 karma

@cqas190517 said:

@oshun1 said:

@cqas190517 said:

I think you’ve misinterpreted my comments to mean something they’re not. I wasn’t judging the school based on the clinical access they offer. I was explaining my observation that “name brand” faculty, as usually emphasized at other schools, weren’t a big part of the presentation at UCI.

Which schools talk about name brand faculty? I haven’t heard that as a bragging point even by Stanford

535 karma

@oshun1 said:

@cqas190517 said:

@oshun1 said:

@cqas190517 said:

Which schools talk about name brand faculty? I haven’t heard that as a bragging point even by Stanford

Hm well ok. I visited a few schools that made sure to let me know that they had writers of legal textbooks as tenured professors and published political analysis as adjuncts. Apparently we’ve been visiting different schools. But I’m not even sure what that has to do with OP at this point, so if you’d like further clarification please feel free to PM me.

edited October 2018 3652 karma

@cqas190517 said:

@oshun1 said:

@cqas190517 said:

@oshun1 said:

@cqas190517 said:

Hm well ok. I visited a few schools that made sure to let me know that they had writers of legal textbooks as tenured professors and published political analysis as adjuncts. Apparently we’ve been visiting different schools. But I’m not even sure what that has to do with OP at this point, so if you’d like further clarification please feel free to PM me.

I don’t think that’s unique to any particular school. All professors have publications, it’s part of the requirement in becoming a professor, and a large number have their own textbooks. I can’t imagine a dean or admissions director sharing that information unsolicited as it’s not a unique selling point. It has to do with OP bc you [jokingly?] implied UCI is weak in academia, due to the fact that they emphasize clinics. It took me seconds to google “UCI law professor textbook” and find multiple professors who wrote legal textbooks. I’m not even interested in the school personally but UCI is a fantastic school in both academia and in providing practical experience.

Maybe lower ranked schools try to stress to you that their professors are capable of teaching since they worry people might think they are weak in academia.

535 karma

@oshun1 said:

@cqas190517 said:

@oshun1 said:

@cqas190517 said:

@oshun1 said:

@cqas190517 said:

I don’t think that’s unique to any particular school. All professors have publications, it’s part of the requirement in becoming a professor, and a large number have their own textbooks. I can’t imagine a dean or admissions director sharing that information unsolicited as it’s not a unique selling point. It has to do with OP bc you [jokingly?] implied UCI is weak in academia, due to the fact that they emphasize clinics. It took me seconds to google “UCI law professor textbook” and find multiple professors who wrote legal textbooks. I’m not even interested in the school personally but UCI is a fantastic school in both academia and in providing practical experience.

Maybe lower ranked schools try to stress to you that their professors are capable of teaching since they worry people might think they are weak in academia.

I didn’t imply anything of the sort. I simply stated that during my visit, the credentials of the staff weren’t presented as a selling point of the school. The faculty itself wasn’t ever mentioned by name.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

So I think you are considering the right things Where you want to practice, who can help you learn the type of law you want, whether clinicals are important to you. @cqas190517 pointed out something that is quite important to some people, myself included, and not important to others. I think that is exactly the sort of thing you can learn during visits, but right now, because of Covid, schools are doing a lot of virtual visits and information sessions. For me, I had Vanderbilt and Minnesota pretty high on my list and removed Minnesota and am now on the fence about Vanderbilt because of things I learned in online info sessions. From emailing administration I learned that Northwestern is not always responsive to perspective student enquiries, which leaves me concerned how they treat actual students, while Michigan blew me away with their detailed and carefully crafted response to an anonymous inquiry. At Duke I experience both an Ad Com member that was not helpful at all and a dean that was very warm and helpful, so your experience with a single person may come down to an individual or a day, but it could also be a sign of other things. Use all of these online interactions that are suddenly necessary for schools to learn as much as you can before you attend.

As far as your original question, ranking and prestige may be entirely irrelevant depending on your career goals. It sounds like you have a leg up on a lot of applicants regarding what those are, so evaluate them honestly.

For example, while I am interested in a very different field of law, being committed to international development and human rights, I realized in my searches that even though US News Ranking is not that important to me personally chasing mid and lower T14 would, because of resources, give me the clinicals, connections, and international opportunities I want to better prepare me for international human rights and also open the door if I ever decide to join academia or pursue a job in a highly competitive organization like the UN. I definitely want the first, while the second is a potential future, but both are markedly better served by T14. I have not removed places like Texas, Emory, Wash U, and Washington and Lee from my lists, but I am focusing on lower/mid T14 more than I was and have decided to take additional shots at schools like Michigan, Penn, and Chicago which I was not looking at originally.

To put that back on you, are you looking to be partner in a big law patent department or looking to go in house ASAP? Is a smaller patent office okay? Are you looking to move into management or consulting in the tech field with (I think you mentioned) computer science background? Are you open to and would it be harmful to move to a well known East Coast program that specializes in both cyber security and patent? You have implied the answers to some of these things I think, but it will come down to trading out one school's good points for another's. Good news is you do not have to decide for a long time. Certainly apply to both and see what they offer. Maybe one will surprise you with a 60% scholarship and the other will offer nothing. I would suggest applying to more than those two schools as well. Even if you get into the schools you would prefer over them you can always use any additional admission or scholarship offers to negotiate out of pocket cost. Maybe you can even swing a few fee waivers. I spent a very early Saturday morning here in Asia at the first LSAC forum and got several fee waivers for my time. They have another in a few weeks. That will combine info sessions with fee waiver opportunities.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

And I just realize that I replied to a several year old post because a spam bot posted in it and sent it to recent discussions. That explains all the discussion about campus visits.