Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disappointing LSATs. Should I wait to apply?

bkphalenbkphalen Free Trial Member

Hi everyone,

I took the LSAT twice this year, in June and September. I got a 161 in June after fudging up my pacing and guessing on too many questions, so I thought this was a good sign going forward if my minimum goal was mid to high 160s. All I needed to do was work on my pacing, right? In the following two months, I felt my understanding of the test got even stronger, and in isolation, I was very good at answering all question types. However even with more conscious timing, I was getting low 160s on PTs, with the rare 169 and 170 on older tests. I was confident that at least I could not do worse in September, but to my horror I did: 159. I am still in shock. I feel discouraged and burnt out, and know it would not be wise to take it again this year.

I am aiming at top 25 schools, which makes these scores all the more upsetting. Fortunately I have a very high undergrad GPA, a strong personal statement and good recs, but I know the LSAT score is key. My question is this: should I apply for 2019 with my application as is, knowing that I will likely not get into my top choice schools, and theoretical try to transfer in my second year? Or should I wait and take the LSAT again next year and apply for 2020? Besides my own personal urgency to apply now, I also have exhausted all recent PTs (save for future tests), and honestly do not think I will get much better at undertanding the test or how to answer questions. I feel like the problem is just the physical taking of the timed test, for whatever reason. In other words, I don’t know how much my official score will improve.

Any and all thoughts/advice welcome.

Thank you!!

Comments

• cqas190517cqas190517 Alum Member 🍌
    535 karma

You can always apply, if you can afford it. The worst they can say is "no" or waitlist you. But if you never apply, then you'll never know.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

I think there is a bunch to unpack here.
    1.You should try the 7sage predictor for your chances at a top 25. A whole bunch of personal assumptions are going to apply when you run the numbers: cost of living, how much debt you're willing to take on-or you could be fortunate enough to not take on any (personal wealth etc), what type of job you'd like etc. But the 7sage predictor is great, and I would give it a try:
    https://7sage.com/predictor/
    running a 3.9/161, you've got some chances at the top 25

2.This is a forum on the LSAT, the most popular answer choice you're going to get is: retake. Along these lines I would challenge the notion that you cannot get a ton from old exams. I think this is false the vast majority of times people say it. Old exams can be thoroughly reviewed for tons of skills that we can hone. For instance, even if you have done an LG section you can do it again: reworking the inferences, and working the answer choices from wrong to right. I believe that quite often there is always something else we can get from an old exam to raise our score.

Best of luck moving forward! Keep us posted if you decide to retake.
    David

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

Retake if you think you can do better

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

If you want T25, and that is a very reasonable goal, you should push back a year and re-take.

I know right now it probably feels like this is it, this is all you can do. But I highly doubt that. What study materials have you been using?

Older tests are still helpful and, as you mentioned, newer tests are always being released too. This is a very learnable test. And you have scored in the high 160s before, so you know you can do it. It's just a matter of shoring things up.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited October 2018 3652 karma

Last year I made it into a t25 with just under a 160 and 3.8 gpa. I got a whopping 10k/year merit scholarship. It’s not worth it. Retake or aim for a regional school where you will get a lot of merit scholarship money.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    edited October 2018 2689 karma

@oshun1 said:
    Retake or aim for a regional school where you will get a lot of merit scholarship money.

It certainly isn't impossible, and it's just money to apply... but I think Oshun nailed it. If your goal is t25 and you dont want to pay sticker, retake. If you really think you've hit your max and you are over it, maybe consider a little under t25 as options. See what schools have good employment, bar passage rates, and other statistics for the region you want to be in.

• bkphalenbkphalen Free Trial Member
    6 karma

Thank you everyone! These comments are very encouraging, either way. At this point I think I am going to apply for 2019 because I have put so much work in already, and see where the chips fall...