Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long did it take you to NOT have to map out lawgic under timed conditions?

youbbyunyoubbyun Alum Member

i've heard many 170+ scorers rarely map out logic or do any writing when taking timed PT's.

How long did it take you to get there?

Do top scorers NEVER map out logic, or hand write notes while taking timed PT's?

For certain SA and MBT lawgic questions, sometimes I feel that I HAVE to write out the lawgic. There are just so many ideas to juggle around, and it's so difficult to keep track of them all in my mind.

the tough thing is the convoluted GRAMMER/referential phrasing plus the logic. It's really hard to keep all those ideas straight in my head without hand mapping it out.

Any general ideas/suggestions on how to get to a point of mastery/fluency with logic??? one example of this is that i wouldn't have to hand write out logic when i see it?

Comments

• brigittebrigitte Free Trial Member
    edited October 2018 432 karma

I got a 180 and diagram frequently. Probably ~2-3 problems per LR section. Usually one of the difficult parallel reasoning questions and one MBT or Sufficient.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

My need for diagramming steadily reduced as I progressed through the upper 160s and into the 170s. Use it as needed and don't judge yourself for it. Personally, if I needed to diagram, I'd skip that question and diagram in the second round.

There's no secret to lawgic mastery. Just keep drilling. During BR, I made it a habit to translate every single conditional statement in LR and LG whether or not it was part of a question I wanted to review. I also frequently returned to the CC to drill the conditional indicator groups (1-4).

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    770 karma

@anonclsstudent said:
    I got a 180 and diagram frequently. Probably ~2-3 problems per LR section. Usually one of the difficult parallel reasoning questions and one MBT or Sufficient.

Whoa, you really got a 180? That's amazing man.

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

I diagram if there is a need for it. Fool-proofing LG allowed me to get a good handle on formal logic so I can diagram pretty fast on LR. I generally diagram 1 or 2 times every test for complicated MBT, lawgic-heavy Parallel Reasoning, and very very rarely SA/NA questions. Diagramming will also make sure you don't lose easy points because of misreading. For example, on the June test I caught one of my mistakes on a PR question because I took the time to do a 5 second diagram and finished with 178. So essentially, I don't think you should be setting your goal to not diagram at all but rather focus on learning how to diagram fast. Small but important difference.

I think it took me around 4-5 months to be able to recognize questions that need diagramming and doing it fast enough.

• youbbyunyoubbyun Alum Member
    1755 karma

@eRetaker @NotMyName

thanks for the helpful remarks! :)

• Logic GainzLogic Gainz Alum Member
    700 karma

I guess diagramming is slow, but what's even slower is trying to do lawgic in your head when you could've just sketched out a quick chain in the margin. There was a specific question in PT85 that I used lawgic for and I know I turned what could've been a difficult question into a layup. It gave me confidence during the exam.