AMA with 7Sage alum Allison (HLS '19) hosted by J.Y. Ping | Wednesday, October 17 | 8pm ET

studentservicestudentservice Alum Member Administrator Moderator Student Services
in Webinars 1421 karma

AMA with 7Sage alum Allison Gill Sanford (HLS '19) hosted by J.Y. Ping

Wednesday, October 17, 2018 at 8 p.m.–9 p.m. EDT

Allison Gill Sanford ( @allison.gill.sanford ), a current 3L at Harvard Law School, will be returning to 7Sage to answer your law-school-related questions!

After studying with 7Sage, Allison scored a 173 and hosted many webinars (such as “Strategies for 170+ Prep,”“Public Interest Careers & Resources,”and “Skip it! Skipping Strategies Panel”) as a Sage (170+ scorer).

This time, she will answer the question on everyone's mind: “What's law school really like?”

@"J.Y. Ping" will first ask her questions and then he'll open the floor for questions!

• The webinar will be held on Wednesday, October 17, at 8 p.m.–9 p.m. ET
  • No registration is needed for this webinar. The link below will grant you access to the webinar.
  • This webinar will be recorded.

Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/126612109

You can also dial in using your phone.
United States: +1 (408) 650-3123

Access Code: 126-612-109

Joining from a video-conferencing room or system?
Dial: 67.217.95.2##126612109
Cisco devices: 126612109@67.217.95.2

First GoToMeeting? Let's do a quick system check:
https://link.gotomeeting.com/system-check

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

Yaaaaasssss

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma
  • LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

Oh this is so cool!

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    2124 karma

It's LITTTT!

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

Oh wow. This is awesome! I can't be there for it, but I look forward to viewing the recording!
    Will there be a Q&A, or is it more just letting her speak about her experience? Any wisdom and insight she imparts with us is great, but I was curious. There are a couple things on my mind.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited October 2018 9372 karma

@AudaciousRed said:
    Oh wow. This is awesome! I can't be there for it, but I look forward to viewing the recording!
    Will there be a Q&A, or is it more just letting her speak about her experience? Any wisdom and insight she imparts with us is great, but I was curious. There are a couple things on my mind.

Basically the whole webinar will be a Q&A! (AMA = Ask Me Anything)

J.Y. will ask questions first though.

• J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    13940 karma

Post your questions for Allison here and vote on the ones you want asked! I'll look to this list and take live questions!

• TheoryandPracticeTheoryandPractice Alum Member
    1008 karma

While in law school, how easy/difficult is it to stay committed to public interest career? What was the hiring process like for PI, and what are some tips to get funding/grants?

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

Woot!
    Q's:
    1. What's the one thing you wish you had known going into 1L; What's the one thing you wish you had known going into 2L?
    2. What's your favourite books?
    3. Are you pursuing public interest at Harvard, and if so, has the process/outcome been different from what you expected going into law school?
    4. Would you recommend any law school prep courses?
    5. How has law school changed you, mentally, psychologically, and in your social and professional lives, and how has it changed your life routines?

11542 karma

I marked this event in my calendar!
    Questions:

1. What's the course load like in HLS?
    2. Besides numbers, what was another factor on your application that you think helped boost your chance of admission?
    3. For someone aiming to do PI, would you say attending a t14 with little to no scholarship money would be worth it?
    4. All together, how would you describe the PI community at HLS?
      Thank you!!!
    edited October 2018 9372 karma

Unfortunately, I won’t be able to join as I will be traveling (or I’ll probably listen to it on a Uber ride) but I’ll listen to the recording!

But my questions are as follows:

• What was most challenging about 1L?
    • What did you do in the summers after 1L and 2L?
    • What are your favorite extracurricular activities?
    • Did you do anything to prepare for law school before entering HLS?
  • Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma

I will try to be there for this!

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

HLS class size is big. Have you had opportunities to get to know your professors? How is the dynamic amongst your class i.e. how many gunners?

• Like_SpikeLike_Spike Live Member
    edited October 2018 203 karma

I've heard that YHS isn't known to give much financial aid/tuition assistance out to their accepted applicants. Assuming what I've heard is correct (it's possible that I misunderstood), do you regret going with the (presumably) more costly program of HLS when other T14 schools were available to you? Or have the opportunities and connections you've established there essentially paid for themselves, so to speak?

• _ubuntu__ubuntu_ Alum Member
    13 karma

People often say, as a point to discourage people from going to law school, that the market for lawyers is horrible and it's hard to find a job (especially one that pays well).

I know it may be different especially coming from HLS. But what are your thoughts on the market for lawyers and where opportunities may grow in the future?

Also, what are your thoughts on opportunities for lawyers in public interest law and social policy in the future and what roles can have an effective impact?

• 7sage_Student7sage_Student Alum Member
    15 karma

I will watch the recording.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

I'm an older student (to be) and curious to know how you and other younger students view folks like me. Are we ostracized (lol), accepted into the fold, or just another law student? Just curious to know the dynamics between the older and yournger folk in law school.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

I'd like to hear about OCIs at HLS if there's time. Really looking forward to this webinar.

• unclesysyunclesysy Alum Member
    106 karma

My question: could you talk about outlining and exam prep, and what strategies you found worked and didn't work for you?

• studentservicestudentservice Alum Member Administrator Moderator Student Services
    1421 karma

This is happening TONIGHT!

• broncoben76broncoben76 Alum Member
    edited October 2018 15 karma

awesome

• tams2018tams2018 Member
    edited October 2018 727 karma

A couple of questions (they are somewhat related):

How long does it take you to complete the readings?
    Are you reading for structure for your reading assignments like RC passages?
    Do you feel like your LSAT prep changed the way you read texts in law school? How dense are the texts?
    What does your study schedule look like?
    Have you experienced burnout at any time from 1L-3L? Why do you think that is?
    How has your thinking changed during your time as a law student from when you first began law school?

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    2124 karma

What's the biggest mistake you've made as a law student?

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Also, have you traveled to other cities for HLS and/or job/internship activities? If so, which ones and how was it? Thanks!

• TrinkSchokoTrinkSchoko Free Trial Member
    69 karma

Hi Allison and JY,
    I just want to thank you again for the wonderful webinar! You two are great and it's good to know people like you are out there!

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

So, when is JY going to do an AMA of his own?

• Logic GainzLogic Gainz Alum Member
    700 karma

Has the recording been posted anywhere yet?

• Linda1205Linda1205 Member
    215 karma

Would there be a recording? feel bad that just missed it!

11542 karma

@"Logic Gainz" said:

@Linda1205 said:

Hey I don't think this was recorded. It was a very chill webinar to be fair. Can anyone back me up on whether or not there was a recording? Looking forward to the next one :)

9372 karma

@Sprinkles said:

@"Logic Gainz" said:

@Linda1205 said:

Hey I don't think this was recorded. It was a very chill webinar to be fair. Can anyone back me up on whether or not there was a recording? Looking forward to the next one :)

It was recorded! But it will take some time until the recording is ready.

11542 karma

@akistotle said:

@Sprinkles said:

@"Logic Gainz" said:

@Linda1205 said:

It was recorded! But it will take some time until the recording is ready.

Thanks!!

• J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    edited October 2018 13940 karma

For those of you who missed it, you can listen to the conversation on our new podcast!

Here's the soundcloud stream: