Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Dual citizenship - 7Sage Forum

Dual citizenship

Claire Z.Claire Z. Alum Member

Will it negatively affect anything in the admissions process to be a dual citizen (American and UK)? I've lived in America most of my life but was born in the UK and spent the first two years of my life there. My parents are American. I wouldn't have worried about it except my mom started saying it might affect financial aid somehow. Does anyone know about this?

I need to disclose it - one of my applications specifically asks.

I asked an admissions dean at the school, but the conversation wasn't the best. He was late for a meeting and thought at first I didn't even know if I was an American. I explained and asked if it would affect anything on the application and he said "no," but he was in such a hurry I ended up hanging up feeling embarrassed and worried.

Definitely overthinking this but any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I think you are right that you are overthinking it. :) Since you are a US citizen as well and have lived here almost your whole life, I doubt they would think of you as an international student or anything. If you were only a UK citizen, I think that could affect financial aid. But since you have US citizenship, I can't imagine that affecting anything.

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    1091 karma

AFAIK it doesn’t affect anything. If you’re a citizen you should be eligible for all the normal loans etc. I’m in a similar position as you and I have seen nothing to suggest we’re adversely affected. Even if you’re a US citizen who’s never lived in the US you aren’t treated as international.

• AshleighKAshleighK Alum Member
    786 karma

I was in the same position but no you don't need to worry about anything like this. As long as you have dual citizenship, you'll pay the "local" rate but obviously out of state residence fees. You wouldn't be subject to international fees.

• Claire Z.Claire Z. Alum Member
    116 karma

Thanks everyone! It's not the first time I've been guilty of overthinking. I love how parents can put those bugs in your ear. I appreciate the help!