Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Grades Addendum Advice (specific)

parkeunyparkeuny Alum Member
edited October 2018 in Law School Admissions 162 karma

My graduating GPA is on the lower side, and I don't believe it's representative of my ability to succeed in law school but wanted to see how others read my explanation in terms of whether it would make for a productive addendum or not.

I started undergrad as a dual degree student pursuing piano performance and financial math, with music being my primary focus. I had a severe injury (from bad posture and over-practicing) which resulted in eight months off piano entirely. As someone who had envisioned a career as a performer since around 11, it had consequences on my mental health --- not to mention I had a lot more time on my hands to think about what it was that I really wanted to pursue. This was all in the first two years of undergrad and my GPA was low and unstable during this time.

My third year, I switched to Sociology and Philosophy, and it proved to be a fitting switch. I maintained a 4.0 while taking graduate-level courses, writing an honors thesis, and working 3 research jobs on top of a full course load (5-6 upper level courses). I feel that my physical injury and "wrong major" story go hand in hand because the injury gave me a chance to switch into something that I was better at. Does a GPA addendum seem appropriate given these circumstances? I'm very wary about my addendum coming across as an excuse or an attempt to justify my sub par grades. Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I think that this is a situation where it’s a good idea to write the addendum. Focus on that upward curve and the injury. I think you can pull it off without sounding like you’re making excuses

• parkeunyparkeuny Alum Member
    162 karma

Thank you!

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

I agree. Be positive and brief. Break down your GPA at the time of your injury and the GPA after switching majors to show the progress you made.