Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LG problems with a month left.

Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
in Logic Games 2186 karma

Never thought I'd still be struggling with LG but here I am with one month left and I still average -5 on LG. I know the one month left posts are common and probably repetitive but I feel like i'm so close yet so far away. My average is only 5 points below my target score and I know going -1 or -0 on LG would be enough to get me comfortably into the high 160s. Am I wasting my time redoing games and trying to foolproof them? I've foolproofed before and saw some improvement but whenever I'm doing the timed test I typically bomb 1 game. As soon as I realize I missed something or and having difficulty with a game my brain just shuts off and I panic. This doesn't happen with any other section. Speed is also still a problem. If I do easy games in under 5 mins I tend to miss a questions due to overconfidence.

Comments

• unclesysyunclesysy Alum Member
    106 karma

Re-doing games would not a waste of time, IMO. LG was my weakness, too, and I was drilling and drilling and drilling almost until the very end, re-doing old games multiple times and also practicing full sets in 35 mins. Speed and grace under pressure eventually came with sheer repetition.

• lsatletsdothislsatletsdothis Alum Member
    edited October 2018 56 karma

As with other sections, -0 on LG comes with mastery of principle concepts and good habits.

I've foolproofed before and saw some improvement but whenever I'm doing the timed test I typically bomb 1 game. As soon as I realize I missed something or and having difficulty with a game my brain just shuts off and I panic. >

I'm dealing with the same problem, and it's usually because of oversight - i.e. I didn't double check the rules earlier, or pay closer attention to the rules in the initial setup of the game board. I'm hoping that if I practice enough, I'll make sure to do the above that it becomes second nature so that if I make any mistakes, I'll be able to catch it early enough in the game and not panic.

I'm redoing old games now and I figure if I still am not getting consistently -0 in well under the time limit, then there's still room for improvement. So no, I don't think it's a waste of time for you to redo them.

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

@unclesysy said:
    Re-doing games would not a waste of time, IMO. LG was my weakness, too, and I was drilling and drilling and drilling almost until the very end, re-doing old games multiple times and also practicing full sets in 35 mins. Speed and grace under pressure eventually came with sheer repetition.

Drilling it is. I guess I'm just going to have to carve out some time every day to dedicate to LG.

2186 karma

@lpark315 said:

I'm dealing with the same problem, and it's usually because of oversight - i.e. I didn't double check the rules earlier, or pay closer attention to the rules in the initial setup of the game board. I'm hoping that if I practice enough, I'll make sure to do the above that it becomes second nature so that if I make any mistakes, I'll be able to catch it early enough in the game and not panic. >

Good point I think I'm so focused on the speed, I tend to forget to do things like double check my rules.

• unclesysyunclesysy Alum Member
    106 karma

@"Pride Only Hurts" said:

@lpark315 said:

I'm dealing with the same problem, and it's usually because of oversight - i.e. I didn't double check the rules earlier, or pay closer attention to the rules in the initial setup of the game board. I'm hoping that if I practice enough, I'll make sure to do the above that it becomes second nature so that if I make any mistakes, I'll be able to catch it early enough in the game and not panic. >

Good point I think I'm so focused on the speed, I tend to forget to do things like double check my rules.

Always double check your rules. Always. That should be ingrained in your practice so, so deep.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

@"Pride Only Hurts"

@lpark315 said:

Foolproofing never ended for me. There are 140 games between PTs 1 and 35. Since March of 2017, I've made 22,000 attempts of just these games. Interestingly, if you count up all of my LG attempts (~70k), they come out to about 10k hours of work.

2186 karma

@NotMyName said:
    @"Pride Only Hurts"

@lpark315 said:

Foolproofing never ended for me. There are 140 games between PTs 1 and 35. Since March of 2017, I've made 22,000 attempts of just these games. Interestingly, if you count up all of my LG attempts (~70k), they come out to about 10k hours of work.

lmao well damn that puts it into perspective right there. I think I may have made a mistake by trying to foolproof all the logic games from 35-69. I think it made keeping track of my progress especially difficult and I ended up moving on before games were properly mastered. I guess I'll only focus on 1-35 for this last month.

5320 karma

@"Pride Only Hurts" AH! My excel was set to "sum" not "count". That's embarrassing. It's 1,300 attempts not 22,000. It's still aver 9 attempts per game. I continued to come back to each game I had "foolproofed" a few months/weeks later because doing them still reinforces the process.

2186 karma

@NotMyName said:
    @"Pride Only Hurts" AH! My excel was set to "sum" not "count". That's embarrassing. It's 1,300 attempts not 22,000. It's still aver 9 attempts per game. I continued to come back to each game I had "foolproofed" a few months/weeks later because doing them still reinforces the process.

Haha really says a lot because I didn't second guess it. I know you studied for a long time based on your old posts. I think we both had the same diagnostic. (146) Definitely has made my journey more bearable knowing others have achieved 20+ point score improvements.

5320 karma

@"Pride Only Hurts"

Haha really says a lot because I didn't second guess it. I know you studied for a long time based on your old posts. I think we both had the same diagnostic. (146) Definitely has made my journey more bearable knowing others have achieved 20+ point score improvements.

Same here. Never could have convinced myself to keep studying without examples like CantGetRight and AccountsPayable.