Stuck at 137 , helpful and effective tips?

Giselle MooreGiselle Moore Alum Member

I've been stuck at 137 for quite some time now. I am good with LG but poor with LR and okay in RC. I really need some direction.

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

What are your section averages? How many do you miss, on average, for a single section of LG, LR, and RC?

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

@soomies said:
    I've been stuck at 137 for quite some time now. I am good with LG but poor with LR and okay in RC. I really need some direction.

Have you taken the course yet? I firmly believe that if you've taken the course, there is not way you won't make at least a 5 point jump, conservatively. I went through the curriculum twice, and made ~5 jumps after each session. Took about 4 months to do them twice though.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

If you're at a 137, you're missing a lot of the fundamental understanding that you need for this test. I second what the others have said about the curriculum.

• Giselle MooreGiselle Moore Alum Member
    17 karma

@NotMyName said:
    What are your section averages? How many do you miss, on average, for a single section of LG, LR, and RC?

I would get 13 correct on LG and 7 correct on LR and about 6 correct on RC. It varies but LG would always be the highest for me. For LG i would miss the last game, for LR i would miss the last 7 questions and RC i barely make the last story.

• Giselle MooreGiselle Moore Alum Member
    17 karma

@Bamboosprout said:

@soomies said:

Have you taken the course yet? I firmly believe that if you've taken the course, there is not way you won't make at least a 5 point jump, conservatively. I went through the curriculum twice, and made ~5 jumps after each session. Took about 4 months to do them twice though.

I will consider taking the course to improve. thank you.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

@soomies

I would get 13 correct on LG and 7 correct on LR and about 6 correct on RC. It varies but LG would always be the highest for me. For LG i would miss the last game, for LR i would miss the last 7 questions and RC i barely make the last story.

Ok then I would say you shouldn't be satisfied with your LG score. I agree with Bamboo. Jump into the CC and study it conscientiously.

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    edited October 2018 770 karma

@soomies said:

@NotMyName said:

Take some time and go through the CC. And no more PTs until you have done CC at least once. After going through it once and really understanding it, it should be impossible for you to miss that many questions per section.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Yes, agreed with the others. There's a lot you can do, but the best thing you could do for yourself is sign up for a course. 7sage is a fantastic course that is one of the cheapest out there and so, so good. They really break everything down for you in an understandable way, give you materials to work through, break things down by question type, etc. If money is an issue, you can begin with just the Starter course - you get all of the curriculum and some PTs provided.

If you want to check out some of the videos, 7sage gives all of their LG explanations for free. You'll have to have the material on your own (the questions aren't shown in the videos) but they show you how to break everything down, diagram, etc.

• J.CHRIS.ALSTJ.CHRIS.ALST Alum Member
    edited October 2018 399 karma

Also, once you get to the point where it's time to drilling/do practice problems, go slow. Maybe don't even worry about time for awhile. Accuracy yields speed. Think of it this way, would you rather finish 12 problems in a section and get 11 of them right? Or, would you rather finish 21 problems and get 7 right? It's paramount you take the time to understand the underlying patterns of each section type and their respective question types.

I don't consider myself to be a "fast" thinker. What has helped me is experience with the test and taking things slowly. As the days go by, my brain is training itself to focus on the details that truly matter and thinking less and less about what does not matter. The LSAT is KING at pulling at your attention with things that simply do not matter. You have to learn how to get past the unimportant b.s., and for some of us, like myself, it just takes time.

• Harvey_lHarvey_l Alum Member
    268 karma

7sage is amazing as a course, I think you'll love 7sage's approach to LG, and the core curriculum will truly something to be valued.

• Harvey SpectaHarvey Specta Alum Member
    edited October 2018 15 karma

hello, all they are saying is the truth. i think we are in the same boat but taking this course personally i have seen some changes. try the least of the course and when you get the hung of it, your scores will increase.