Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Causal v. Conditional Logic (or Lawgic if you prefer)

Andrew AlterioAndrew Alterio Alum Member

Can someone explain the difference--if there is one in fact--between causal and conditional relationships/statements? Seemingly, A causing B is the same as saying if you have A, then you must have B. In effect, the sufficient condition is the cause for the necessary condition; without it, the necessary condition wouldn't exist. Therefore, a conditional relationship is a valid causal relationship. There are no competing hypothesis nor potential for the cause and effect to be swapped with each other.
Not sure if the above is true. Please comment with your observations.

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

You've got it twisted. I wrestled with this in the past too.

Causal arguments must abide the temporal conditions suggested by A causes B. For example, if one suggests that a specific asteroid caused the extinction of dinosaurs, then it must be true that dinosaurs were not extinct before that asteroid collision occurred.

This temporality is not required for conditional statements. Take for example this conditional: "If you're late for class, then you didn't set your alarm." The timing is reversed---the sufficient condition occurs after the necessary condition meaning that A could not have caused B.

That's not to say that that a sufficient condition cannot also have a causal relationship with its necessary condition, but we definitely cannot assume that that's the case.

• Andrew AlterioAndrew Alterio Alum Member
    edited October 2018 394 karma

Thanks for that clarification!
    I think I was confused by the seemingly similar ideas in both that A causes B and if you have A, then you must have B. But, as you explained, in the latter A doesn't necessarily cause B (though it is a possibility), rather A is a symbol (or code) that B must exist too if the conditional relationship is applied. In the causal relationship, A must cause B and not merely inform us that B exists. That's why its chronology is vital to its validity whereas conditionals don't care about validity. They're post-fact ideas (lol).
    In other words, causal relationships tell us what are the facts, while conditionals primarily convey the relationships between said facts.
    I hope I got that right.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited October 2018 9382 karma

A causal relationship is much weaker than a conditional relationship.

Here are some examples:

• Smoking causes cancer. (Smoking ==cause==> Cancer)

Does this mean that if you smoke, you will always get cancer (Smoking → Cancer)? Nope.

• An earthquaks causes a tsunami. (Earthquake ==cause==> Tsunami)

Does this mean that when there is an earthquake, there must be a tsunami (Earthquake → Cancer)?? No. Not every earthquake causes a tsunami.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6050 karma

To reiterate what has already been wonderfully explained by @akistotle and @NotMyName causal relationships are weaker than conditional relationships.

Another thing I want to explore is what exactly this means.

If I say that all red apples are delicious, which indicates a conditional relationship, then literally all red apples are delicious. You could point to the most rotten and vile looking red apple in the world or the red apple that the evil queen used to poison snow white, and under our conditional relationship they would be apples that are delicious. To point to a red apple and state that it is not delicious would be a direct contradiction of our conditional. It would be the logical opposite of it.

However, if I say there's a correlative or causal relationship between red apples and deliciousness then that relationship allows for annomalies. You could point to a red apple that is not delicious and that would be totally acceptable within a causal relationship. The reason being that is that causal relationships just indicate some form of percentage or likelihood. It's not the same as stating [all red apples are delicious]. I hope that makes sense!

• Andrew AlterioAndrew Alterio Alum Member
    394 karma

Thank you all for your explanations. They've been quite helpful!

• ellie-2ellie-2 Alum Member
    9 karma

Wondering about this too, 5 years later! These explanations have been super helpful, thanks everyone. Does anyone have any additional thoughts about the distinction between the absence of a sufficient condition vs. the absence of a cause? Whenever an explanation video mentions that the absence or less of a cause can reasonably lead to the absence or less of an effect, I get a little squirmy because of everything I’ve learned from formal logic about negating sufficient conditions meaning the whole relationship is moot.

For example, 61-4-4 about air pollution and plant diseases (from the current strengthen/weaken lessons). The premises/phenomena are that there was air pollution during the Industrial Revolution and two plant diseases disappeared. The hypothesis/conclusion is that it’s likely that air pollution eradicated the ideas {air pollution =cause=> eradication}. The strengthening answer is that the diseases returned when the air became less polluted {/air pollution =cause=> /eradication}. First of all, am I diagramming that answer choice correctly, and if so, is that a legitimate way of thinking about causal relationships? I mean I guess it is because that’s what multiple videos use, but I’m just getting tripped up in comparison to formal logic. Thanks in advance for any responses!