How to get out of the 160ish Range - Advice Pls :)

NicolekhNicolekh Alum Member
in General 335 karma

Hi everyone!

I am looking for some advice in regards to my exams! So I just made a huge decision to postpone law school for another year, so I decided to cancel my November test due to health related issues and just the feeling that I knew I was not ready.

Currently, I work part-time and study about 5 hours a day. I first seriously started 7 sage in June and did not touch my first PT until I was done with the CC. That exam I got a 160. Unfortunately, my family pressured me into taking the exam this past September and I ended up scoring very poorly due to having a concussion while taking the exam (not a smart decision on my part) and am now extremely worried about what law schools will think. I have talked to many people and they have stated that I need to make sure I do extremely well on the next exam I take so law schools will see that the first score I received is not representative of my efforts.

I am going through the 7 sage CC again (very slowly- I used to study 10-12 hours a day but knew this may have also contributed to my low score/stress during test day) and got an LSAT tutor, but just did my timed PT real since the September test and got a 160. I am meticulous about blind review and usually score -3 on LG (this exam I did -9). I know I have to start up doing LG games again to get those points back. But since I need a really high score, is there anything else anyone can offer. I just don't know how its been so much time but yet my score has stayed the same..

Comments

• 1_2_aletsgoblue1_2_aletsgoblue Alum Member
    47 karma

Dealing with same problem. Help appreciated

• Coco_119Coco_119 Alum Member
    147 karma

I'm in the same boat. My untimed and blind review scores are in the 170s but when it comes time to do timed PTs, i keep getting stuck in the mid 160s.

• ilovethelsatilovethelsat Member
    348 karma

Same issue!

• ExcludedMiddleExcludedMiddle Alum Member
    edited October 2018 737 karma

I'm in the same situation and I think it's a matter of a few different things:

1) Getting LG to -2 or less consistently. I'm currently in a situation where I'm basically finishing each section that I do, and not missing very many questions, but sometimes I don't get to the last question or two. So I'm currently foolproofing some more in the hopes that it'll allow me to get a bit faster. I think if I can manage to get to the point where I'm finishing sections 100% of the time a consistent -0 to -2 will be doable. If you're missing 3+ in LG it just takes more points away from your raw score and makes it harder to hit 170+.

2) Not getting an awful score in RC. If you're often missing 6+ in RC it's going to limit your ability to achieve top scores, period. It makes it a situation where you'd have to be almost perfect in LR to hit 170 reliably. This is something I'm going to try to work on by drilling specific passages with the 7Sage RC method with a stopwatch to try to habitualize the right timing with that approach.

3) Keeping LR to, ideally, less than -4 per section. If you're missing no more than 6-7 total in LR consistently, then you have a pretty decent shot at ~170 with good performances in RC and LG. Ideally, though, -2 or -3 per section in LR at most. Having ingrained strategies, a solid grasp of the CC, and good timing is key here.

• NicolekhNicolekh Alum Member
    335 karma

@ExcludedMiddle said:

1) Getting LG to -2 or less consistently. I'm currently in a situation where I'm basically finishing each section that I do, and not missing very many questions, but sometimes I don't get to the last question or two. So I'm currently foolproofing some more in the hopes that it'll allow me to get a bit faster. I think if I can manage to get to the point where I'm finishing sections 100% of the time a consistent -0 to -2 will be doable. If you're missing 3+ in LG it just takes more points away from your raw score and makes it harder to hit 170+.

2) Not getting an awful score in RC. If you're often missing 6+ in RC it's going to limit your ability to achieve top scores, period. It makes it a situation where you'd have to be almost perfect in LR to hit 170 reliably. This is something I'm going to try to work on by drilling specific passages with the 7Sage RC method with a stopwatch to try to habitualize the right timing with that approach.

3) Keeping LR to, ideally, less than -4 per section. If you're missing no more than 6-7 total in LR consistently, then you have a pretty decent shot at ~170 with good performances in RC and LG. Ideally, though, -2 or -3 per section in LR at most. Having ingrained strategies, a solid grasp of the CC, and good timing is key here.

Do you have anything to suggest at all? Like any techniques?

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

@Nicolekh said:

@ExcludedMiddle said:

I suggest watching the webinars for techniques in Reading Comp and LR question types! Also if you haven’t yet mastered the art of skipping, that can improve your score by around 3 points!

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

First of all, it's really good that you were able to recognize what you needed to do (postpone) to get the best score you can, but way more importantly, to do the best thing for your physical and mental health. Ten or twelve hours a day is way too many. I'd say even eight is too many. Six seems like a good number to aim for, especially since you have now given yourself plenty of time to prepare. I think you need to identify your goals specifically. What is a "really high score" to you? 168? 170? 175? Your strategy will be different depending on your goals. Try to figure out what score will give you a good shot at the places you want to go. You can use 7sage's admissions predictor. Identify your weaknesses in LR and drill those. Limit your PTs to once a week since you're so far out from test day, or even hold off on PTs for a month or so while you solidify your skills. You can do it!

335 karma

@MissChanandler Thank you for the advice:) I have a good GPA (3.95) and am also a Fulbright scholar & went to a competitive undergrad university, so going in I knew I didn't need a score that was super high. But since I now have a really bad score on my record now that law schools will see I'm so worried and feel like I blew my shot at any top ten school. I've talked to some top 10 admissions officers and they said not to worry about my first score, but just focus on doing really well on the next one. I have been studying for 5 hours a day and don't do more than that. I just feel like especially with LR my weaknesses are so variable that it is hard to drill them. However, I think what is best is to go through the CC again, and finish that. Then start taking practice tests and drill specific question types after BR. I think I will also re-start doing LG every day just so I can get those points back, because that is what allowed me to score around the 165 range a couple months ago.

335 karma

@"Pride Only Hurts" said:

@Nicolekh said:

@ExcludedMiddle said:

I suggest watching the webinars for techniques in Reading Comp and LR question types! Also if you haven’t yet mastered the art of skipping, that can improve your score by around 3 points!

I get scared to skip!! But yes I am going to watch the webinars tonight! I have already watched two and they were very helpful!

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

@Nicolekh said:

@"Pride Only Hurts" said:

@Nicolekh said:

@ExcludedMiddle said:

I get scared to skip!! But yes I am going to watch the webinars tonight! I have already watched two and they were very helpful!

I still haven't quite figured it out. It takes a lot of self awareness. But sometimes I catch myself reading a stimulus and having no idea what I just read. Then I ask myself "was that because my mind just went blank or was it because the stimulus is confusing." this should take a split second. Then if I think My mind was simply drifting, I'll take a deep breath and reread it. Otherwise I skip. And I've also learned to move on as soon as I find myself struggling between two answer choices. Better to pick the one you like and come back to it. Often the correct answer will be clear when you go back to look at it again.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

Law schools only care about your highest score. Especially if you haven’t taken more than 3 times. Generally you’ll have to write an addendum for a 10+ score increase.

335 karma

@Ohnoeshalpme said:
    Law schools only care about your highest score. Especially if you haven’t taken more than 3 times. Generally you’ll have to write an addendum for a 10+ score increase.

I called NYU just to make sure and they told me they average (NYU is one of my top choices) but I know plenty of other schools that do not.