Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In need of help

mannkyleshdmannkyleshd Alum Member

I’m in need of some advice from whoever can offer me some. I have been writing PTs and have been not doing well on the LR sections. However I have been doing good on the practice questions that come after every LR lesson. I also have confidence that I know how to tackle LR questions. Can someone help me try and figure out what can be done to resolve this or am I just over analyzing?

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Define what you mean by good vs not good. How many do you miss? Is it a particular question type?

• mannkyleshdmannkyleshd Alum Member
    12 karma

For many of the questions after the lessons I will get like 7 or 8 out of 11 but in LR I will get about 12 or 13 out of 25. My main weaknesses are must be true and parallel reasoning.

• TEXASAggieTEXASAggie Alum Member
    106 karma

I am no expert, but here are some suggestions :) SKIP your weakest types during testing and save those last. Have you tried the same "fool-proofing" method done for LG for LR? For example, I am using the question bank and downloading sets of questions from PT 1-35 and just drilling (and are planning to review explanations of missed ones). I am also drilling with a 3:1 ratio of untimed to timed; as test date gets closer, it will be more 1:1.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

What is your goal score and what is your avg PT raw score for each section?

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

If you're missing close to half of the questions in an LR section, you probably need to focus on understanding all of the basics. There are usually only a couple parallel reasoning questions and must be true questions, so it sounds like you have weaknesses in other areas as well (don't take this the wrong way, we all have tons of weaknesses starting out!). I would second the suggestion to fool proof games.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

The Post-CC webinar has much wisdom. Also, don't give up.

• mannkyleshdmannkyleshd Alum Member
    12 karma

Thanks for the responses I will try the drilling method just a little stressed because the November LSAT is in three weeks.

• redshiftredshift Alum Member
    edited October 2018 261 karma

If your two main issues are (1) Must Be True and (2) Parallel Reasoning, it seems likely that you're having trouble with questions that test your knowledge of conditional, i.e., formal, logic. You may be able to answer a decent number of questions on LR correctly using just your intuition, but the section is first and foremost a LOGIC based section. As such, you need to sharpen your skills in that area.

In tricky MBT questions, you'll get a lot of text. Imagine:

Whenever Jenny eats an apple, she feels sick. Jenny feels sick only if she hasn't slept ten hours. What must be true?

A correct answer here might say something like: Whenever Jenny eats an apple, she hasn't slept ten hours.

You might be saying to yourself, hold on, that logic doesn't make any common sense. But for the LSAT, it does. You diagram it like follows:

(1) J. Eats Apple --> Sick
    (2) Sick --> Hasn't slept ten hours

From (1) and (2), we can infer that J. Eats Apple --> Hasn't slept ten hours.

A tricky wrong answer for something like this might say:

If Jenny hasn't slept ten hours, she'll eat an apple. That's an illegal reversal.

As you can see, LSAT logic is different from the type of logic based thinking we do in our everyday lives. The LSAT tests mathematical/philosophical logic. I don't know if you've studied this subject, but it may shed some light on your issues with these question types.