Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should i retake the LSAT-171 score on September 2018 test first attempt

edited November 2018 in General 148 karma

I am currently a junior and took the LSAT for the first time in September 2018 beginning of my Junior year of college. I got a 171 on the test.(-1 LG, -5 LR and -4 RC) I am shooting for a top 20 Law school and know a top 6 is probably not realistic. A scholarship would be great but is not a deal breaker. I am not a URM , have a good GPA(not great 3.5 ) from a top LAC with a difficult major economics and math minor and great leadership in college (on board of my college Mock trial and worked for residence life). also have 2 good summer internships mostly economics focused and hoping to have a great legal internship as a rising senior this summer.
I studied for about 7 wks last summer following my internship in DC last summer and before I went back to start my junior year of college. I had a concentrated 7 wks (not working, was finished my internship) so although only 7 wks of studying , It was FT studying without working or school stressors. I purchased the Starter course in addition to purchasing from Amazon PT 72-84. I got a 162 on my diagnostic in June prior to studying and focused MY timed practice test (72-84, 36, 44 )on the more recent exams instead of the older exams included in the starter course. My 15 timed PT were between166-174 so I guess I was pleased with the 171 I got on test day although I believe I could have gotten a little higher.
I know law schools only use the highest score, but my fear is if i shoot for a second time not only could i be wasting a whole lot of time , I could score lower and it might look better to have one attempt at 171 with no repeats or cancellations rather than take it a second time and posssibly score below 170.

Comments

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

What benefit can you get out of a retake? I highly suspect that there is any school that will not take you now, but will take you if you get a few points higher on the LSAT.
    Even if there is a school that will be moved by your retake, the risk of getting a lower score, the hard work required, and the opportunity cost will most likely outweigh any benefits that might hold. Remember, the difficulty of the last few points between a 170-180 is by far the most extreme. At some point, it becomes a difficult task to simply prevent a decline. Also consider the possibility that you might have gotten lucky, too. From the sounds of it, you probably over-performed compared to most first time test takers. Most people end up with around -5 below their average, whereas you were actually about or even above your average score. Sometimes, one has to know to fold while he or she is ahead.
    Ultimately, only you know yourself. If you believe you have what it takes and the desire to get a 180, then go for it. You've studied economics, so you should be able to best decide what choices provide the most value to you.

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

If you are studying and performing at a higher range I think a retake is fine. Focus on getting all As until you graduate and put together all your application materials. You're in good shape either way

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    edited October 2018 3279 karma

Your GPA is weak and your major doesn't matter. Your LSAT score is great for many of the T14 schools. I think you should consider what schools you would be happy to attend. If your LSAT score is at or above median at all the schools on your list, then I don't think you should retake. If you raise your LSAT, I think Columbia at sticker is a possibility.

Whatever you do, make sure you application is solid and that you get it out early. You should also consider whether you want to go to the best school you can go into or whether your school choice will depend on your financial aid package.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

I am shooting for a top 20 Law school and know a top 6 is probably not realistic.

I have no idea who or what your source of information is, but T6 is doable with a 3.5 GPA and 171 (with probable exception of Yale).

I know law schools only use the highest score, but my fear is if i shoot for a second time not only could i be wasting a whole lot of time , I could score lower and it might look better to have one attempt at 171 with no repeats or cancellations rather than take it a second time and posssibly score below 170.

You have nothing to lose. Like you said, law schools look at the highest score, and multiple attempts or one cancellation is no big problem. I personally would go for a second attempt if I were in your shoes.

3279 karma

@FixedDice said:

I am shooting for a top 20 Law school and know a top 6 is probably not realistic.

I have no idea who or what your source of information is, but T6 is doable with a 3.5 GPA and 171 (with probable exception of Yale).

Why do you consider the other T6 schools probable? With a 171 and 3.5, I think NYU is the only school he has a shot at. Columbia's median went up to 172 and the other schools aren't splitter friendly.

edited October 2018 1804 karma

@10000019 said:
    Why do you consider the other T6 schools probable? With a 171 and 3.5, I think NYU is the only school he has a shot at. Columbia's median went up to 172 and the other schools aren't splitter friendly.

I said T6 is doable (i.e. not impossible), not probable.

edited October 2018 3279 karma

@FixedDice said:

@10000019 said:

I said T6 is doable (i.e. not impossible), not probable.

Okay, I'll rephrase. Why didn't you say: "with probable exception of Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Chicago, and Columbia".

Not saying you're wrong because we are both speculating. I'm just curious why Yale is the only school that you excluded.

1804 karma

@10000019 said:
    Okay, I'll rephrase. Why didn't you say: "with probable exception of Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Chicago, and Columbia".

Not saying you're wrong because we are both speculating. I'm just curious why Yale is the only school that you excluded.

Because (1) I met or heard of at least three splitters who made it to T6 minus Yale, and (2) Yale is... well, Yale.

• edited October 2018 148 karma

Thanks for the input. Not really counting on any T-6 schools but might throw my hat into a couple. I am grateful for my current score and like @Bamboosprout said the opportunity cost and risk of getting a lower score might not make my time worthwhile to restudy. I am thinking of combined Law/economics programs or other combined law programs (public policy, MBA with law)so might see how I do on a GRE and if good will submit both. I know on other discussion threads people said once you have a LSAT score the law schools wont look at the GRE, but not really sure if that is true with combined programs and have to think submitting two very good standardized scores could help in admissions . Some advice for students still in college based on my LSAT path. I took a Philosophy of Logic class in college prior to studying and think that really helped with LR sections and one of the reasons my first diagnostic was so high without studying. The other suggestion for people who are cost conscious and purchasing just the Starter course without a lot of time to study, is to use the Starter courser for the CC but purchase the newer exams 72-84 and concentrate on them for the PT instead of the older exams . 7sage has all the LG answers for free and you can find other explanations for the other 2 section online. Yes i know 7sage is the best, this is only a suggestion for those purchasing the Starter course.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

First, congratulations on the excellent LSAT score! Second, maybe apply to these top schools but also expand the list of schools you apply to.

• AngusMcGillisAngusMcGillis Member
    403 karma

Have you calculated how much in scholarships one point might be? two points? four? it is probably worth the effort and time to retake.

• J.CHRIS.ALSTJ.CHRIS.ALST Alum Member
    399 karma

Would getting a 172 or 173 really be better than possibly just focusing on your GPA and ultimately raising your GPA to, for instance, a 3.7? I don't know the answer that question, but it's something to consider.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

Wouldn’t think about the LSAT again until your GPA is finalized. Throw everything you got at increasing your GPA. Don’t underestimate the benefit of a 0.1 increase there. Lots of us would do anything to have a chance to increase GPA but we can’t.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Also, while you're in school, please consider taking the time for some of the career center programs that appeal to you.

• Coco_119Coco_119 Alum Member
    edited October 2018 147 karma

Look at your target school on lawschoolnumbers.com I cant say how accurate it is but im sure it will still give you some idea about what your chances are at top 20 school. http://lawschoolnumbers.com/

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

@aholtzer said:
    Thanks for the input. Not really counting on any T-6 schools but might throw my hat into a couple. I am grateful for my current score and like @Bamboosprout said the opportunity cost and risk of getting a lower score might not make my time worthwhile to restudy. I am thinking of combined Law/economics programs or other combined law programs (public policy, MBA with law)so might see how I do on a GRE and if good will submit both. I know on other discussion threads people said once you have a LSAT score the law schools wont look at the GRE, but not really sure if that is true with combined programs and have to think submitting two very good standardized scores could help in admissions . Some advice for students still in college based on my LSAT path. I took a Philosophy of Logic class in college prior to studying and think that really helped with LR sections and one of the reasons my first diagnostic was so high without studying. The other suggestion for people who are cost conscious and purchasing just the Starter course without a lot of time to study, is to use the Starter courser for the CC but purchase the newer exams 72-84 and concentrate on them for the PT instead of the older exams . 7sage has all the LG answers for free and you can find other explanations for the other 2 section online. Yes i know 7sage is the best, this is only a suggestion for those purchasing the Starter course.

Good thinking. I hope to do the same and go into a Law/economics program. Law schools still will essentially only look at the LSAT though. To them, what matters most is where you are compared to the median, so that it can boost their stats, and law schools don't yet report GRE statistics. GRE will mostly be for the other degree.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited November 2018 3652 karma

I’ve spoken to adcomms/deans from NYU, Chicago, Stanford, and Cornell, and I don’t remember which of them but one of them mentioned that if you want to do a dual degree, their grad school won’t require a GRE score. Take some easy classes and bump up that GPA and blanket the t14.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I agree with a lot of the others here, particularly @Bamboosprout. You have an excellent LSAT score and I think the time it would take to study to consistently be hitting above a 171 wouldn't be the best use of your time. If anything, I'd say take any extra classes you can to boost your GPA. Sign up to take an online course with a community college. Anything to boost your GPA would be almost as valuable as 1 extra point on the LSAT.

And as for T20 or T6 even, myLSN (while not totally predictive - it's crowd-sourced data) gives you an excellent shot at top schools and as the others said, a slim but possible chance at a T6 (NYU mostly). I wouldn't be surprised if you were to get at least 1 T10 acceptance. A dual degree candidate with a decent GPA in a STEM field, leadership experience, etc... you're a fantastic candidate. Just squeeze every GPA point out that you can and write killer essays.

http://mylsn.info/yysq71/

• TheoryandPracticeTheoryandPractice Alum Member
    edited November 2018 1008 karma

You are only a junior in college? I’d do anything to get that GPA up to 3.6 during the senior year. And I’m going to disagree with others. Even getting 172 or 173 on the LSAT is going to be very helpful. You’d have much better chance at Columbia, whose median is 172 this year. UChicago cares more about GPA, so raising a couple of points wouldn’t matter much there.
    If you raise your LSAT to a 173 or more, you would have a better shot at Harvard as well.
    Those two points count. I’d retake, especially since you are only a junior, and you’ve only taken the exam once.

• Mia FairweatherMia Fairweather Alum Member
    edited November 2018 221 karma

First, congrats on your score! the score you earned is one that people spend YEARS studying for and you got it on the first try :smile:

As someone who has been out of college for well a while years( I graduated, did Teach for America, and have been studying for the LSAT for what feels like foreverrrrrrrrr) if you were coming to me as a friend I would honestly give you this advice: enjoy the rest of college. You earned a fantastic score on your LSAT that a lot of people would die for(including me) if you decide to go straight from college to law school then you really are not going to have a break. College is an amazing time: treasure it, a my godsister went straight to Duke Law right out of college and one thing that she expressed to me was not to rush, quote "You have the rest of your life to be a lawyer" once you get out of law school it is not as if you have the time to go out and have adventures you will be working and more than likely trying to pay off law school loans. I know the T14 and T5 schools have median scores at 170+ but the time you spend studying could be time that you spend enjoying your life, and bringing up your GPA. Based on what you wrote you are still figuring out exactly what you want to do and pondering taking the GRE I wouldn't spend time trying to improve something you already did so well on if you might end up having to take a different test or a different path, also you might decide to take a path where your GPA matters more. If you do want to increase your score I would try to reach out to people that have a similar story as you do because I think there is that risk of scoring lower than you did previously and I don't believe most of us here on 7sage have been where you are currently or else I don't believe we would be here. You could also try calling the office of admissions for a school(or schools) you are interested in to see what they say. How do they feel about applications where the second LSAT score is lower than the first score? A lot of schools will probably say "we take the highest score" but they may actually give you some insight.

My apologies for any grammatical errors! Good luck and congrats once again!

• Thanks to everyone for their thoughtful advice, suggestions and kindness. Good luck to everyone on upcoming LSAT, Law school admissions (wherever you are in the process). I love that 7sagers are not competitive(except with themselves) and really seem to want to help everyone.

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

@"Leah M B" Gave you great advice. With your 171, you have a shot at NYU. A few points more, you may have a shot at others. Since you're a junior still, there isn't a rush to jump into law school especially now that you have a 171 in the bank. It's obvious that you have a knack for reasoning, so keep it in the bank, finish school, take some time for yourself before you jump into some brutal years of work.

I would retake just because I want to know if I can actually do better. But probably wait until September '19 when you can apply yourself to fixing those mistakes.

• Oops just noticed the title of thread said June lsat . Corrected to September lsat . Thx again for all the great advice .