Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Assumption questions: SA AND NA

HELP I AM SO BAD AT THESE WHAT DO I DO

Comments

• saraheq1saraheq1 Alum Member
    122 karma

Would you be able to expand on "bad"? Lol. Do you know the difference between these two types of assumptions?

• JACQUELINEJACQUELINE Member
    20 karma

Yes, I always choose the wrong answer and I never see the assumption.

• Andrew AlterioAndrew Alterio Alum Member
    394 karma

SA questions are challenging - especially at the outset. However, don't let it get to you. Review the CC again and again. Make sure you understand the mechanics and theory of an argument. It is also vital to comprehend what a valid argument means and how assumptions are just layers of support to an argument.
    Another tactic is to read the stimulus and try to find the gaps in the argument. For example, if I say "Studying for the LSAT is difficult, but if you work hard you will get a 175" - there's a clear gap in my argument between "working hard" and "scoring a 175." I never mentioned that working hard will get you a 175 rather I assumed it. So if this were an SA question, the answer would be something like "Anybody who studies hard for the LSAT will score above the 99th percentile (about a 173+). This links up the premise of the LSAT being hard to study for and working on it will get me a high score.
    Hope that helps.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

If you never see the assumption then that means you are likely already assuming it. I would suggest approaching these with lots of skepticism. The assumption is in the support between the premises and the conclusion. You need to always be aware that the conclusion is not being supported by the premises. Otherwise there wouldn't be an assumption question. If you are good at flaw questions, then I'd recommend approaching them as flaw questions. If you are not good at flaw questions then perhaps try revisiting this lesson from the CC: https://7sage.com/lesson/how-to-weaken-arguments/?ss_completed_lesson=1628

I've found that revisiting this lesson and any similar lessons on assumptions often helps me reintegrate into my systems what exactly it means to find an assumption.

An alternative strategy, though I'm not sure how useful it would be, would be to look for the answer choice that makes you go "huh? Wasn't this already said?" or "yeah" when you read it.

Hope that helps!

• Ms NikkiMs Nikki Alum Member
    128 karma

@keets993 said:
    If you never see the assumption then that means you are likely already assuming it.

That is a really good insight!

Sometimes answering the question it requires taking a step back and seeing what exactly the stim is giving you, and translate it into LAWGIC. Then you see what is necessary (or sufficient) to assume instead of relying on your own mechanism.