Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would being shot by a client make my application stronger?

Objecto1Objecto1 Alum Member

Hey everyone. I work as a paralegal at a family law firm.Yesterday a client left threatening to come back with a gun. I called the police, and they said to call if he actually came back. He did. He rolled by our office slowly and then parked down the street. I saw him get out and then stand on the corner, facing our office, dressed in a black hoody with the hood up and black pants, talking on his phone....emphatically, let’s say. I called the police and they met him on the corner, frisked him and he didn’t have a gun. He’ll be trespassing if he comes back. I guess he was just waiting for us to leave for the day so he could talk.

Question though: if I get shot, hopefully in the arm or leg, and in a non-fatal fashion, you think mentioning that in my personal statement will give me any boost? I’m set to take the November test and with a good score I’ll be a splitter.

Comments

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    770 karma

@Objecto1 said:

Question though: if I get shot, hopefully in the arm or leg, and in a non-fatal fashion, you think mentioning that in my personal statement will give me any boost? I’m set to take the November test and with a good score I’ll be a splitter.

Being shot, even if it's just an arm or leg and non-fatal, is no joke. Trust me, you don't want this to happen to you. Stay safe.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

That would certainly give some shock value. But as all other anecdotes and examples go, whether getting shot would "boost" your PS would really depend on how you approach and spin the story. If getting shot doesn't fit your PS's overaching narrative, you may want to leave it out.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I can't tell if this is serious or not...

• kellysmithsmithsmithkellysmithsmithsmith Free Trial Member
    25 karma

Getting shot is generally only a boost if its during a mass shooting and you can spin it politically, or possibly if it is someone with a history of mental illness and you can play that angle. A random shooting in the foot or butt because of a family dispute won't score you many points.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

Do well on the lsat. Write a thoughtful ps and proofread it—same goes for all submissions. Apply as early as you can.

Don’t get shot. Even opportunistically.

• LAWYEREDLAWYERED Alum Member
    335 karma

UGH. STOP.

• Andrew AlterioAndrew Alterio Alum Member
    394 karma

This post deserves to be shot :wink:

• Objecto1Objecto1 Alum Member
    21 karma

This truly did happen (still haven’t been shot). I used this forum as an outlet mainly just to talk about something that happended. So the question was rhetorial and a joke. I apologize if any took it seriously, but I have suspicion that most didn’t.

PSA: People in family cases are crazier than people in criminal cases. My experience. Want to go into family law? Why would you do that? I’m still planning on it.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

Lol I work in personal injury and always hope to get...nudged...by a car so I can pay off my student loans

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    edited November 2018 3256 karma
  • FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited November 2018 1804 karma

@Objecto1 said:
    PSA: People in family cases are crazier than people in criminal cases. My experience. Want to go into family law? Why would you do that?

I have been told that if there is one area people do not hesitate to hire attorneys, it's family law (provided that they can afford attorneys in the first place). Apparently money becomes a minor issue when it comes to getting children back or giving the finger to former partner.