Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fall '13 Applications: when to submit if you're taking LSAT Dec 2013 and already took it once

AJ LAJ L Free Trial Member
edited October 2013 in General 24 karma
I want to get started on my applications although I am still studying for the December 2013 LSAT. I hope that someone here can answer my question because I have seen such helpful, nice responses to other questions.

I already took the LSAT once last year and did poorly, and I will be taking it again in December. As we all know it's better to submit earlier rather than later. When should I submit applications? Should I do it ASAP even before December scores come out in January, say in December? But I'm worried that schools will overlook the part where I check off to wait for a pending score, because I have heard of people who were rejected right off the bat because the school did not wait for the later score. Or should I submit right when the score comes out? I already have my transcript and CAS in, which helps.

I feel like this must be a common situation for many people, yet I get conflicting answers from everyone! Thanks so much for any insight.

Comments

• chrijani7chrijani7 Alum Member
    827 karma
    I would be very interested to hear the answer to this question as well. Because I am writing the LSAT for my first time in December. I have had people tell me to still apply by Nov.1 even though I wont be writing until Dec and was a little worried that the admissions council might see that as a weakness since I have no score to present them.
  • E.T.90066-1E.T.90066-1 Alum Member
    377 karma
    I asked this question to an admissions officer at Loyola Law School, she told me to wait until the score in available. They told me that they would not look at the application until the LSAT score came in. I am going to wait.
  • K SK S Free Trial Member
    86 karma
    I asked the same to Northwestern and Arizona University and they gave me a similar answer. They said that it could, however, affect scholarships.
  • AJ LAJ L Free Trial Member
    24 karma
    Thanks everyone for your answers. If you are or were in the same boat and you're waiting until your score comes out, are you going to submit applications at the end of December? Or right after your score comes out? I am trying to think of how to minimize the amount of time between clicking the Submit button on applications and when the admissions officers actually get the applications in their hands, while still trying to take advantage of rolling admission.

For chrijan7- I would say submit as soon as possible if you have the time now (although you are also studying for December). They can't review your application until you have a LSAT score on record. It's not considered a weakness, they just will not read it. Many people do it. But since I already have a score on record, I do not want admissions officers to see my incomplete application even though it may appear "complete."

Thanks so much!
  • K SK S Free Trial Member
    86 karma
    What I did was I started the applications. I have my recommendations/transcripts/ personal letter in. They are written and "submitted" on the LSAC website.

It is sort of confusing because certain schools its going to be HIGHLY dependent on my LSAT score. What I would do is maybe just make sure you have you rec's and your transcript and maybe a draft of a personal statement. Then once you get the score take some time reassess where you are applying and submit.

That is what I am doing anyway, I am open to suggestions.
  • Christina ChavezChristina Chavez Alum Member
    11 karma
    I did the same as KS (uploaded my LOR's, transcripts, and I'm still working on my P.S.)

It's best to have everything else in your application ready to go---that way once your score is in you can submit them to all your schools.

Do keep in mind that scholarships may need to have an earlier date. I would call your top school's and ask for their policy (just to be sure).

• chrijani7chrijani7 Alum Member
    827 karma
    @A J L Thanks so much for the feedback. I have already started getting reference letters and working on my personal statement. I am hoping to have the statement completed by Nov. 1 so I can have it all in. Again, thank you.