Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

rejection correlated with school ranking

kendallMkendallM Free Trial Member
in General 66 karma
Do law schools accept less students if their ranking goes up because they want to show exclusivity?

Comments

• ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    It's possible but I don't see it (selectivity) skyrocketing on a year-to-year basis though. Like what schools for example?
  • kendallMkendallM Free Trial Member
    66 karma
    The top schools. I feel like even the bottom schools try to admit less students so they get higher ranking. It shows their exclusive.

Like how we overpay for a brand. It's just because of the brand that the price is so high.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    Well Duke rejected a number of students and placed plenty on the waitlist.. on the day that they got to know they had broken into the top 10 so this could be true.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    @kendallM I don't think law schools really have a quota so I don't think they admit less students (haven't really looked into the data but would be interested). Rather, they maintain relatively the same number of students but try to lower their percentage of admitted students (and show exclusivity) by expanding the pie and getting more applicants to apply. I know it's a practice for schools to send few waivers to students to apply, even though many of those applicants are well outside their median rage of GPA and LSAT scores.
    2116 karma
    To be fair, it's easier to get into top schools now than 4-5 years ago. Have you seen the median drops at some of the T14's?
    edited March 2015 3438 karma
    @ddakjiking totally... a mid to high 160s score makes you competitive today at some of the T14... but would not have done so 3 - 5 years ago. You MAY have secured admission... but certainly not and schol money.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    @"Nilesh S" And I was going to apply to Duke lol
    3438 karma
    And you still will... and you'll get through... with money... of that I have NO doubt @emli1000
    2116 karma
    Yeah Duke's LSAT medians are 166-169-170 and 3.66-3.77-3.85.
    3462 karma
    @"Nilesh S" well UNC was an option but after that 1L video IDK if it's the right school for me LOL
    Then you might say no to them for one of HYSCCN... ;) who knows with the amount of work you guys are putting in... that is a VERY likely scenario!!!
    3462 karma
    I wish! lol
    3438 karma
    haha @emli1000 UNC is a GREAT school to have as an option... you should check out some of the Columbia and NYU Law revue videos... they are just like that one if not more lolworthy
    3462 karma
    I know. So when I get to one of those schools I'll make sure to post it on FB & tag you LMAO. I def won't have a life by then
    3438 karma
    haha look forward to it!!! Of course there will be life... don't tell anyone I said this... but Bar Review is one of the BEST nights of the week :D
    3462 karma
    OMG. Look at you now lol
    3462 karma
    Are you going to participate in Moot court?
    3438 karma
    lol ...speaking from experience... both at UChicago and at UPenn law where I did my LL.Ms... those were the days of the week that I used to look forward too :D
    @emli1000 Well I'd love to... I was a national champion at mooting back home... and my fave moot to go for (and if you want to work in international commercial law you should DEFINITELY try for this one) is the Wilhelm C. Vis Arbitration moot... you do well there and that practically guarantees you a top legal job... and Vienna is an awesome city to visit... but as I'm already an attorney back home, I don't think I'm eligible for it :/ ...yes for the School internal moot court though.
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6867 karma
    Selectivity is a ranking criterion iirc, so it's more likely that a school would rise in rank BECAUSE they're selective, not become more selective as they rise in rank.
    6867 karma
    Also, I second Nilesh's recommendation to attend as many 1L "bar review" sessions as possible.
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    Yes, that's why some schools may offer waivers for application fees to students outside their numbers range. Even though they will likely not accept them, it raises their selectivity rating.
    @"Jonathan Wang" correlation does not imply causation :D How could I make this mistake :P .
    6867 karma
    That's okay, you said it *could* be true. Makes all the difference! That's why we lawyers are all noncommittal hedging bastards :D
    edited March 2015 66 karma
    I get what your saying @"Jonathan Wang" I see how I may have done the incorrect reversal of your statement. But sounds like a circular reasoning to me a bit.

So they rise in rank because they are selective. Wouldn't that mean that their selectivity is correlated with higher rank?
    For example, if Harvard is ranked number 2 this year and they start selecting less students then by next year their ranking can go higher. That's essentially same as their selectivity correlated with higher ranking. And ranking correlated wiyh higher selectivity.

I don't want to say it's a causation because their ranking does also factor in other interesting elements.
  • nsinhansinha Free Trial Member
    23 karma
    @kendallM its not the sole cause... its one of the many factors that helps determine rank...
    edited March 2015 2116 karma
    @kendallM Harvard is again ranked at #2 this year (tied with Stanford now). I do not see Harvard tightening their admission standards so they can try to beat Yale (or at least tie). Harvard has very large class sizes (500+) so they can't be as selective as Yale/Stanford.

But in the grande scheme of things, I wouldn't worry about your initial worries...the number of applicants are down across the board so schools are scrambling to keep their medians.
    edited March 2015 66 karma
    @ddakjiking I was using Harvard as an example not anticipated fact.

&& I hope so haha