Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Score going down and down and down

tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
edited November 2018 in General 770 karma

About a week and a half left now, and my PT scores are steadily decreasing one after another, for the past 4-5 tests. Not huge drops, but 1-2 points one test after another. Very consistently so. Very frustrated and worried, scores should be going up, now freaking down.
Feeling a little burnout, but nothing too much to warrant these drops, I feel.

Not sure what to do. Debating between a) stop taking PTs and just review past tests or CC
b) go even more hardcore through remaining PTs and hope scores don't keep dropping.
Kind of freaking out.

Comments

• CantStopWontStopCantStopWontStop Alum Member
    1270 karma

Hardcore probably won’t help with this. Usually a sign of needing to relax. I would go through the cc. Maybe practice timinng on sections. Even causally going through a pt question by question with no consideration for time. At this point confidence and being loose is most important

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

How far apart were these PTs? I’d lay off on PTs this week and maybe take one on Saturday or Sunday, but that’s it.

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    edited November 2018 770 karma

@MissChanandler said:
    How far apart were these PTs? I’d lay off on PTs this week and maybe take one on Saturday or Sunday, but that’s it.

For the past month, I have taken one every 2-3 days.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Did you just begin more modern tests as that drop occurred? I had a similar drop when I reached the high60s/70s series of test. It's not big deal and just required me to adjust to some of the newer tricks the test writers threw at me.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

Best thing I did for my mental well-being prior to my last test was to stop taking PT’s 2 weeks out. The hay is in the barn. I’d focus on light work to keep you fresh. Give yourself time to process all that you have learned and trust that you will not forget everything in the last few days. IMHO, a test every 2-3 days for a month is a recipe for mental fatigue.

Good luck!

770 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker said:
    Best thing I did for my mental well-being prior to my last test was to stop taking PT’s 2 weeks out. The hay is in the barn. I’d focus on light work to keep you fresh. Give yourself time to process all that you have learned and trust that you will not forget everything in the last few days. IMHO, a test every 2-3 days for a month is a recipe for mental fatigue.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. So lay off PTs altogether now? Part of me is thinking take at least 1 more so that hopefully I will score what I have been scoring before this recent drop, to boost my confidence before the real thing.
    I'm also afraid that I will score lower again on this PT, and really tank my confidence.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

@tekken1225 said:

Thanks for the advice. So lay off PTs altogether now? Part of me is thinking take at least 1 more so that hopefully I will score what I have been scoring before this recent drop, to boost my confidence before the real thing.
    I'm also afraid that I will score lower again on this PT, and really tank my confidence.

Do you keep a consolidated record of your previous tests? If so, go back and look your high scores. That is what you are capable of. You've already proved it. You don't need another test to tell you that.

Later in my studies, I used PTs as diagnostic tools and not scored events. A PT would tell me where to go back to the CC and review. So I were in your shoes, if I decided to take any more PTs, I would use them to identify question areas that I would then go back and review further. However, taking a PT at this point for a confidence building score opportunity has limited utility in my opinion. However, you have to answer that question for yourself.

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

Personally I'd lay off the PTs and just drill. Retake some old RC/LR sections.

• LouislepauvreLouislepauvre Alum Member
    750 karma

I’ve had some drops. Part of it for me is that I’m getting too confident. I’m not spending enough time considering the answer for another second. I’m choosing quickly and moving on. I reminded myself yesterday: respect every question. If not, it will eat you up.

• Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    1058 karma

Same thing happened to me months ago. Quit PTing and returned to intense section drilling. And if you were already in college like myself pre-2010, then

Let this song loosen you up a bit

• m.kim2022m.kim2022 Member
    76 karma

Lol @Regis_Phalange63 This song was on the radio like every half hour. Good memories.

• Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    1058 karma

@"misun.kim11" said:
    Lol @Regis_Phalange63 This song was on the radio like every half hour. Good memories.

I was a freshman in college when this song had just come out so like you said, one could hear this at every single party one went to.

• tams2018tams2018 Member
    727 karma

Are you reviewing your PTs or are you just taking them back to back.

770 karma

@Regis_Phalange63 haha that's a good song. Gets old super quick though.

edited November 2018 770 karma

@tams2018 said:
    Are you reviewing your PTs or are you just taking them back to back.

I take one and review the shit out of it. I go over every single question on the PT with a comb after taking it timed.

• Ms NikkiMs Nikki Alum Member
    128 karma

A PT is a pretest to prepare for a test, mentally and intellectually. It is important to prepare for the PT itself mentally and intellectually as well. By that I mean take some deep breaths before you start, make sure you have enough to eat, and you approach the test like the real deal and not just practice. During the test remember to skip questions that are time sinkers, set your analog clock, remember your lessons etc.

I've noticed the more I mentally prepare "today I am going to take a PT, Let me make the conditions as good as possible", the better my score comes out

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

For many students, the mental game gets thrown off the closer and closer test day comes. Make sure you aren't responding to increasing pressure through increasing deviations from your strategies. Follow the plan, even if it feels uncomfortable; if that doesn't get you the results you want then so be it. What you're not going to do is fail because you didn't execute your best test.

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

I can confirm that stress is building as the November 17 test approaches. I usually only feel stressed when I haven't put in enough work on any given day. To combat stress I am trying to wake up early every day and practice, so that I don't feel like I left something on the table when I am trying to get to sleep.

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    Follow the plan, even if it feels uncomfortable; if that doesn't get you the results you want then so be it. What you're not going to do is fail because you didn't execute your best test.

If I don't hit my target score on the actual test, I know I can retake and that I have plenty of PTs and drills to continue to get better at this test.

@tekken1225 said:
    Very frustrated and worried, scores should be going up, now freaking down.
    Feeling a little burnout, but nothing too much to warrant these drops, I feel.

Try to coach yourself as if you were an LSAT teacher coaching a student. Identify the biggest area of weakness or the source of the dip in scores. It may just be random and attributable to a small sample size, or maybe you are rushing or trying to get every single question in a section right or something like that. Shore up that weakness by drilling hard and try to build some confidence going into the real thing. Like @"Cant Get Right" said, follow the plan!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Maybe wait a bit on scoring them and also, take a break. Maybe have some pet visiting time, either with pets you or friends or family have, or going to an animal shelter.

• cgracia12cgracia12 Alum Member
    737 karma

I've just been drilling my weak areas and hitting LG's from 59+ .

Like others have mentioned, most of the hay is in the barn already lol. I'm still wanting to go hard this last week, taking one more PT on Sunday, light drills for next week with my last study day being Thursday.

Don't burn out with a week left, man. At this point its all about mental preparation and staying confident. Best of luck to you. #mambamentality

770 karma

@cgracia12 said:

Like others have mentioned, most of the hay is in the barn already lol. I'm still wanting to go hard this last week, taking one more PT on Sunday, light drills for next week with my last study day being Thursday.

Don't burn out with a week left, man. At this point its all about mental preparation and staying confident. Best of luck to you. #mambamentality

What you will do is probably what I will do as well.
    Are you from SoCal region, or just Laker fan? Lol

• cgracia12cgracia12 Alum Member
    737 karma

@tekken1225 said:

@cgracia12 said:

What you will do is probably what I will do as well.
    Are you from SoCal region, or just Laker fan? Lol

I'm actually from Dallas, I'm a huge Mavs and hoops fan! Glad you caught the reference though :)

• Jeff WingerJeff Winger Member
    8 karma

Man the best advice you'll get on this issue is to just relax and trust yourself. I do the same thing when I study and practice non stop. You get to where you're subconsciously saying "I know I'm good on this type of question" and so you don't give it the full effort it requires and it tricks you. You won't even realize you're doing it most of the time. So just give yourself some time off maybe a week, I don't know when you are taking your test, and then come back to it fresh and make sure you take your time on each question and I promise you will see your scores go back up. Hope this helps.

• AngusMcGillisAngusMcGillis Member
    403 karma

This might be a better "down" themed song to listen to.

I've been beat up, I've been thrown out
    But I'm not down, I'm not down

Studying for the LSAT is a test of resilience. We've all been there. Keep it up and push on!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I'm late to this, but I think absolutely the best thing for you to do is stop studying and don't touch anything LSAT related for 2-3 days. Seriously. Your brain needs a break. PTs every 2-3 days is way more than I would ever even recommend. This has burnout written all over it.

Step away from the LSAT!

Give yourself a couple of days off, then come back and do a few timed sections. Light drilling/review. The week before the test, you should go lighter on everything. And the day before the test, I recommend only doing some very light review. The worst thing you could do is push yourself hard right before test day. It will up your anxiety and burnout levels.

As @LSAT_Wrecker said, the hay is in the barn. You've done the work. You're prepared. Your brain is just tired. Much like training for a marathon, you have to give yourself recovery time. I had a phase where my LR scores kept dropping and dropping and I thought I was losing my mind. I took 3 days off, came back and was totally back to normal. You just need a break. The key to solid performance on LSAT day is to be in the best possible mindset - rested, refreshed, relaxed.

770 karma

@"Leah M B" cool thanks for the advice. Will do.