Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just took a PT and did horribly, any advice for my last week before next week's test?

gemrich1gemrich1 Alum Member

I'm currently stressing out considering I completed the base 7sage course and have seen great increases in my scores (155 on diagnostic, 163 average, 167 max) throughout PT 30's-40's. My all time highest was just last week on PT 44 when I got a 167, so riding that high I took PT 85 this morning and got a 158. I haven't scored so low since July, and while I know it there is a degree of variety, a drop of 9 points within a week is very concerning. I have heard that recent PT's are slightly different, could this have contributed to it? I usually average about -4.4 on LR, -6.1 on LG, and -6.6 on RC. On 85 I got -7 on each LR, -6 on LG, and -9 on RC.

I'm trying not to let this get to my head, but November is my last chance to take the test (3rd try within a year). I could definitely use some advice on how to spend this final week. Should I go back to the basic lessons, keep drilling, or take another recent PT to hopefully do better and get the bad taste out of my mouth going into test day? As of now I am leaning towards taking another PT tomorrow for reassurance but I also don't want to burn myself out. No matter what I am taking Thursday and Friday completely off from studying for peace of mind.

Comments

• Wait whatWait what Alum Member
    244 karma

The first LR section from 85 was pretty hard. In general the more recent LSATS 72-85 have LR sections with longer stimuluses and answer choices as well as more subtle correct answers. So for someone making that transition from older to more recent PTs could reasonably results in a score drop. Especially if you go from 40s to 80s. I would say blind review 85 thoroughly especially the LR portion. Maybe go through PT 83 LR portion and either do it timed or un-timed and get a feel for how the AC are more subtle.

I had a similar situation. My LR score decreased pretty dramatically when I took 85. I think the issue was I was used to moving very quickly through some of the older LRs the answers just seemed more obvious. When I took 85 I tried to keep that same pace and ended up falling for many trap Acs. What has helped me has been just slowing down and reworking my pacing. the Acs are trickier in the more recent PTS so they require more attention. In the end though it is the same game, same tricks, you may just have to read more carefully.

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    770 karma

As someone who's been doing 30's-50's, this has me really worried. Is there that big of a difference between the former and 70-80's?

• kleinstdkleinstd Alum Member
    68 karma

Just try to relax and be confident in yourself! This will also be my second time taking the LSAT and I have improved so much since September, you just need to trust yourself and know that one bad PT is not reflective of your overall performance!

• TrustingGodTrustingGod Free Trial Member
    240 karma

I feel there is a significant difference. The new exams have similar content but different language. I just took the June 2018 exam, and I found the exam to be a lot more difficult than exams even 5 years prior. You need to practice the newer exams. The logic games can be very different as they now throw in at least one miscellaneous game that may talk about events, or have long names, in place of the variables.

• Logic GainzLogic Gainz Alum Member
    700 karma

I'd suggest keeping it light this week and maybe taking sections instead of whole tests, but of course your prep method is a ball that is fully in your court.

If anything, I'd review flaws in general. Maybe go back to the cc or read a prep book about them and review the ones LSAC likes to use. Identifying flaws is something that's relevant for a vast majority of LR questions.

Lastly, forget about the score. I know that's easier said than done but it's something in the past at this point.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    edited November 2018 4850 karma

Do not take another test. Review the test you just took, learn from the mistakes, and engage lightly thereafter until test day. You have done the work. Let your brain process the material and recover from your studies.

In my last PT prior to the Sept test, I scored the lowest score I had put up in over 8 months. After absorbing the punch to the ego, I reviewed the test and focused on getting my mind right for game day. I then went on to put up a new high score on test day.

If you kept records, take a look back at your previous scores. They still count. You still made those previous scores. You are still smart. You don't need another test to tell you that.

Lebron James and Steph Curry miss shots during warm-ups. They then go on to ball out during games.

• Wait whatWait what Alum Member
    244 karma

@tekken1225 said:
    As someone who's been doing 30's-50's, this has me really worried. Is there that big of a difference between the former and 70-80's?

I don’t think the difference is that big. You can still score what you had been scoring on older test. I think the ACs are less cookie cutter and require more time. At least that’s how it was for me. If you are taking the test soon definitely go through 1-2 LR sections from a recent PT untimed or timed to get a feel for it. It could be that it won’t be an issue for you but if it is try in zone in on exactly why just like a regular br.

• LouislepauvreLouislepauvre Alum Member
    750 karma

@tekken1225 said:

Are you doing the ones in the 50s with comparative reading passages? If so, practice those. For me, they’re harder actually. Also, I would mentally prepare yourself (it’s what I’m doing) for a game that will not conform to sequencing/grouping games, and could very possibly be unlike any game you’ve ever seen before. My goal for when I get that game is to not freak out haha

• Sara_3080Sara_3080 Alum Member
    edited November 2018 432 karma

I feel you, I just dropped 7 points on the June 2018 exam #84 after doing so well on #83 :'( Im panicking a little

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    edited November 2018 770 karma

Anbody think perhaps tests are getting "harder" because people now are "smarter" and have more tools and materials at their disposal? So test makers are adjusting and creating "harder" questions?
    Sort of like NFL players today are faster, bigger, stronger, and more skilled than players of past because they have access to all sorts of modern sports advancements.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

I fluctuated a lot on the modern tests.
    PT65 (11/20) 169 (LR1: -2, LR2: -2, LG: -4, RC: -7)
    PT70 (11/24) 161 (LR1: -3, LR2: -7, LG: -9, RC: -7)
    PT71 (11/26) 169 (LR1:-6, LR2: -0, LG: -4, RC: -5)
    PT82 (11/29) 164 (LR1: -7, LR2: -2, LG: -3, RC: -7)
    Then I sat for the real test 83 (12/02) 168 (LR1: -2, LR2: -2, LG: -8, RC: -3) .

• Ms NikkiMs Nikki Alum Member
    128 karma

If you are able to, JY is running blind review sessions for PT 85. There are two more sessions (RC and LR2 on Monday/Tuesday). I have participated in many of these and they are super helpful to confronting your flawed reasoning and how to approach these questions. Especially helpful if you are in a quiet place with headphones and a mic. It is amazing to hear JY explain reasoning, but also challenge your own with a group of serious LSATers. Literally you can talk to the LSAT master himself on a PT you have already taken.

There is nothing like that OOOHHH moment when you figure out why that AC is 100% wrong and the other one is 100% right.

• cqas190517cqas190517 Alum Member 🍌
    535 karma

Lmfaoooo that was the exam I sat for and it completely killed me and my confidence. Everyone else I know who also sat it was wrecked. Don’t feel bad. It may have just been a really awful exam.

• gemrich1gemrich1 Alum Member
    12 karma

@"Ms Nikki" said:
    If you are able to, JY is running blind review sessions for PT 85. There are two more sessions (RC and LR2 on Monday/Tuesday). I have participated in many of these and they are super helpful to confronting your flawed reasoning and how to approach these questions. Especially helpful if you are in a quiet place with headphones and a mic. It is amazing to hear JY explain reasoning, but also challenge your own with a group of serious LSATers. Literally you can talk to the LSAT master himself on a PT you have already taken.

There is nothing like that OOOHHH moment when you figure out why that AC is 100% wrong and the other one is 100% right.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to make the live session, is there any way I can view it once I get out of work later tonight?