Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone already in law school and can give advice?

lsat 1101lsat 1101 Alum Member
edited November 2018 in General 267 karma

I'm about to wrap up the application process, and to pass time I've been watching videos of moot court arguments, but I've watched mostly Yale and Harvard students. It seems so intimidating given how quickly they talk and the questions they're asked. Are all law school 1L presentations like this? I think I'm getting ahead of myself because I'm judging myself based on how well I can follow along with their arguments but i'm not even a law school student yet! Do you feel you've been well prepared to argue like these people on youtube?? I'm nervous now even though I was excited about law school before.

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

yo @LSATcantwin this one's for you

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Mmm I wouldn’t worry too much about that lol at a lot of schools you have to get past your 1L doctrinals before you even consider those sorts of classes. I would just enjoy the free time now, as 1L is a lot of work.

• lsat 1101lsat 1101 Alum Member
    edited November 2018 267 karma

thanks sprinkles and LSATcantwin Yes but I'd still appreciate any feedback from anyone

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@"lsat 1101" said:
    thanks sprinkles and LSATcantwin Yes but I'd still appreciate any feedback from anyone

I’m a 1L at NU. Your first two semesters will have very little to do with arguing. Moot court is not part of the 1L core curriculum. You classes will be like 5 of these for your first semester.

Legal writing
    Crim Law
    Contract law
    Property
    Civ Pro
    Torts
    Con law

Then your second semester you get a bit of wiggle room on what you choose. But you won’t be doing moot court at all.

Those people you are watching are very likely 2-3L’s and have a ton of practice. You need to focus on your doctrinal classes first as 1L grades are extremely important.

So like I said, don’t worry about it right now. Enjoy your free time, you’ll pick up Law School as it comes. Comparing yourself to them now doesn’t do much good as they are much more progressed in law school than you will be as a 1L

• lsat 1101lsat 1101 Alum Member
    267 karma

Thank you for breaking it down (and congratulations for getting into a great law school!)
    I agree with you on all the above, only one school that I went to visit I was told at the end of the first year everyone participates in an oral argument in front of judges, it's required!