Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PT 85...oh no

mmmmmkk99mmmmmkk99 Alum Member

So contrary to popular opinions regarding not taking full PTs right before the exam, I couldn't help myself bc I had bought PT 85 just a few days ago and wanted to take it before I sit for the exam (2nd take) on Saturday. I'm not sure if it was the nerves, the exam itself, or maybe even the fact that I may seem to getting burnt out but I ended up scoring 10 points lower than I usually do for pts (Usually hitting ~165). The 1st section (RC) was super difficult for me as well as the 2nd section (LR) and I ended up falling for many of the trap answers.

Feeling super discouraged and slightly freaking out about this exam and wanted to see if anyone had similar experiences with PT 85? I plan on just BR through this exam all of tomorrow and then taking Friday off before the exam to just watch netflix haha. Trying to tell myself that this Nov exam isn't the end all be all - there's still Jan or even March if need be.

Also, what games do you guys recommend to do right before the actual exam on Sat? One I can take with me to the testing location to do before the exam starts that will get my juices flowing.

Comments

• edited November 2018 534 karma

Don't sweat it too much; won't do you any good at this point. I have heard people say that it was a hard exam, but I think that not enough time has passed for everyone to make a final comparative determination.

I just posted this on another discussion, but it might be helpful for you too. I keep hearing that confidence is key and not getting thrown off on test day is a must.

To work on this, I used the 7Sage analytics thing + introspection on my most uncomfortable question types to figure out the 2 question types where I am weakest and/or least confident. Then, I used the 7Sage question bank to drill as many of the hardest of those question types as I can. They have a new feature where you can filter by type/difficulty and print PDFs based on that. In my case, it's RC Law passages and really hard Pure (some misc.) Grouping games where I sometimes flail or don't do as well as expected. I printed basically 5 copies of 10 games & 10 passages in each category to drill over the next 2 days. Even if I get slightly better, the point is that I won't freak out on test day if I see something similar on the exam. If they can't freak me out in my worst-case-scenario, then they can't freak me out at all. Hopefully that helps!

As far as games to take to the exam, maybe choose a game of level 2 or 3 difficulty that you fool-proofed a while back and give it a go (choosing one you've done is important in the event that you choose a new one and bomb it and get freaked...higher chance you don't bomb one you've done several times). I personally wouldn't suggest doing one on test day at all though. Again, it could throw your mindset and bringing notes or an already filled out/completed game (level 4 or 5) with notes may be a better option.

• NicholasDayNicholasDay Alum Member
    86 karma

I sat for PT 85, and I felt that the LR sections were more difficult than normal. I wouldn't sweat it too much, just make sure you understand the mistakes you made. Build up your confidence the next two days, and good luck on Saturday!

• mmmmmkk99mmmmmkk99 Alum Member
    56 karma

Thank you so much! I will def try that out. I've gotten into the mindset of "if not this test I can still take Jan/March" so if I don't hit my goal score this Sat, that's what I'll be doing until my next exam. After a night of freaking out and collecting myself again I feel much more at ease again haha just going to take today to drill the questions I missed on PT 85 and understand my mistakes.

I've figured out that for me, jumping right into a pt makes me freak out a bit especially at 8:30am so reading some lsat material or going over a few questions in LR or LG helps my brain loosen up a little- this has helped me extremely when it comes to RC. For some reason I can't seem to concentrate as well when RC is the 1st section (may be bc deep down RC is the section that freaks me out the most) lol.

56 karma

@NicholasDay said:
    I sat for PT 85, and I felt that the LR sections were more difficult than normal. I wouldn't sweat it too much, just make sure you understand the mistakes you made. Build up your confidence the next two days, and good luck on Saturday!

Thank you and appreciate it! Trying not to let this PT get to me since I've done plenty more and have been doing well.

• cqas190517cqas190517 Alum Member 🍌
    535 karma

@mmmmmkk99 said:

@NicholasDay said:

Thank you and appreciate it! Trying not to let this PT get to me since I've done plenty more and have been doing well.

PT85 was my first take, too. I cried.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

Never take a PT and score it right before a testing. It just messes with you if you happen to get a low score.
    A friend in a competitive sport once said that it's not who is the best that wins, but the best that day. You are going to have up and down days. Days you feel like crap, days you do well. Stress is real. You do the best you can that day. That's why it's important to be as prepared as possible through practice, but also to be as positive as possible going into the actual test. Make it a good day for you. The practice beforehand offers some stability for those bad days, but going in with a bad mindset will mess with you. This test will not be PT85, and you have to keep that in mind. Each one is different. You're starting fresh, and you've practiced this. Every section, you are starting fresh. Maybe during the test, you start to linger on the previous section, second guess an earlier question.. No. Stop. Every question is a new start. Keep moving and keep your thoughts on the question/game/reading at hand. Nothing before and nothing matters. You've done this stuff, you've practiced it. You've got this.

Good luck tomorrow!!

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

One clarifying: Skipping Q's is okay. But when you circle in the booklet and move on, forget it and focus on the next question is what I mean. Go back when you have time, but dont let that question sit in your head when you have others to do.

56 karma

@AudaciousRed said:
    One clarifying: Skipping Q's is okay. But when you circle in the booklet and move on, forget it and focus on the next question is what I mean. Go back when you have time, but dont let that question sit in your head when you have others to do.

I've been trying to think about this a lot but hearing from someone else helps a bunch in reassuring myself. I've been trying to practice how to be more present and realizing I've done all the studying and preparations for this exam as I could have done. My goal isn't a perfect score so after realizing that, I've been better at skipping q's I know I'll prob get wrong anyways and being able to get to all the easier q's I know I can answer right.

Thank you for your kinds words and I'll keep in mind your tips on tomorrow exam :)