Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

could someone give a quick rundown of the "implicit" necessary assumption questions on recent tests?

cw687cw687 Alum Member

i.e., what to look for/why they seem to be a little more tricky compared to earlier ones/ways to approach. seem to get stuck on these. thanks!

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

By implicit NA you mean the assumption was already implied by the stimulus right? If so, the recent example I am thinking of is PT83 1-21 the question about archaeologists finding copper tools that are 5000 years old. The correct answer choice is implied and seems weird because you assume it is true, but it actually isn’t specifically stated to be true. Don’t want to go into too much detail in case you haven’t done that section. Plus J.Y.’s explanation in either the question breakdown or his live commentary is pretty spot on.

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

And just to be a little more clear and answer your question, the question isn’t really any different. You’re still looking at the stimulus critically and running the negation test on answer choices. What I was trying to say using that example is that if you read an answer choice and think you already knew that from the stimulus, that is a good clue you were making an assumption required for the argument to make sense.

• cw687cw687 Alum Member
    10 karma

will re-watch those videos. thanks! i think sometimes I just trip myself up, and end up overthinking NA assumption questions - waste time and lose focus of the overall line of thought in the arg.

• Logic GainzLogic Gainz Alum Member
    700 karma

You definitely want to check out PT82S4Q13. I'll be rolling in my twin-size extra long bed in law school still from that question.