Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Retake low 170s in Jan. for scholarships?

LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
edited November 2018 in General 1028 karma

I'm reapplying with my low 170s score this year, already getting much more favorable results just on the basis of applying early vs. late. With most of the pressure of initial decisions hopefully being alleviated by Dec./Jan., do you all think it would be worth it to retake a score that is already at/above median for all of my target programs? GPA is above 75th everywhere.

Mostly, I would be retaking for a shot at maximizing scholarship offers or getting a late admittance if I end up WLed at a target school. I've only been studying on and off since I took the exam last February, but I'm fairly confident I could get 175+ on a retake, especially without the added nerves of admissions decisions hinging on the score.

What do you all think? Is it worth the stress of 3 more months of study for what may or may not increase $$$ or get me off a WL? The scholarship/WL game just seems so uncertain...

Any input from someone in a similar dilemma would be much appreciated!

Retake or keep what I have?
  1. What should I do?37 votes
    1. Retake for 175+
      35.14%
    2. Ride out the cycle with current score
      64.86%

Comments

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

I'm not voting because I'm not accustomed to the analysis of retesting at scores of >170, however, I'm currently at or above LSAT median to all the schools I applied to. If (fingers crossed) I get accepted to my top choice school, I'm going to ask them if a higher score will result in a greater scholarship (as I know I'm not going to get a full ride with my current score). I have PTed better than my current best scored LSAT so I feel confident that I could bump my score with a few additional months of focused review and study. However, I'm not breathing the thin air of a 170 score, so my calculus is likely different than yours.

Either way, good luck!

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

What are your other options? What is the opportunity cost here? If you have nothing else to do, and could use the money, then why not? Otherwise, you could consider working full time in the meanwhile, and the money from the job can potentially balance out the probability of getting scholarships.

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    edited November 2018 990 karma

Man you've got a 99th percentile score and you want to re-do the grind and process again. If you think you can do better, go for it. But I don't know. Maybe ask during a Q & A with David the next time he does one.

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    1028 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker That seems like a really great strategy...I think I'm going to do the same and just start studying now with the intention to retake only if the schools I've been admitted/WLed at give me the green light on a better LSAT = more $$$ or being admitted off the WL. Thanks for the idea, and good luck with your cycle!

@Bamboosprout Sorry, I didn't mean to be unclear. I meant scholarship by "$$$" — no one is paying me to take the LSAT haha. I'm employed full-time right now. I'm just trying to put myself in the best possible position to be able to afford law school by decreasing the amount of loans I'll need to take on tuition. I didn't know if a higher score late in the game would help secure additional merit aid.