Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Law School Personal Statements that Worked!

David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator

Hi everyone,

I've been working on this post for a while and it's finally ready: six of the best essays we've ever worked on. All of the writers took different approaches to telling their stories, and all of them got into T14 schools. Note that we've published two of them before. Four are brand new.

If you're looking for inspiration as you write your own law school personal statement, take a look!

https://7sage.com/law-school-ps-examples/

Comments

• LAWYEREDLAWYERED Alum Member
    edited November 2018 335 karma

Hi @"David.Busis"! Are there any examples of a "statement of purpose" personal statement? Some of the schools I am applying to want me to state why I am interested in applying to law school, how law school X will help me reach my professional goals, and ask me to "Feel free to include information about your special interests, life experiences, accomplishments, goals, or other information you believe would be helpful to the Admission Committee". Do I still write a narrative personal statement or do I write a concise, cut-to-the-chase "I want to be a DA" essay??
    (Thanks in advance!)
    Most of the essays you included seem to be narratives with a brief paragraph about how law school will help them take their passion or interest to the next level.

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7262 karma

Can you paste a statement-of-purpose prompt here? Let's take a look at the actual language of the application.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Very cool - I love reading new ones, and it's especially helpful to know the results!

• annewr253annewr253 Alum Member
    439 karma

Yes this is awesome! Thank you for the post!

edited November 2018 335 karma

@"David.Busis" said:
    Can you paste a statement-of-purpose prompt here? Let's take a look at the actual language of the application.

Here are two examples of prompts that seem more purpose-focused:

"Please include a brief personal statement indicating your reasons for wanting to study law, why you chose to apply to Pepperdine Law, significant extracurricular activities, and any further information which you feel should be considered by the Admissions Committee."

"Please tell us specifically why you wish to attend law school, and in particular Santa Clara Law School. Feel free to include information about your special interests, life experiences, accomplishments, goals, or other information you believe would be helpful to the Admission Committee. Please limit your statement to no more than 3 pages, double-spaced."

"Please upload a brief statement indicating your reasons for wanting to study law, why you chose Chapman University School of Law, and any further information that you feel should be considered by the Admissions Committee. The personal statement must be no longer than three pages in length, typewritten, 12 point font, and double-spaced."

Thanks!

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited November 2018 3652 karma

@LAWYERED said:

@"David.Busis" said:

"Please include a brief personal statement indicating your reasons for wanting to study law, why you chose to apply to Pepperdine Law, significant extracurricular activities, and any further information which you feel should be considered by the Admissions Committee."

"Please tell us specifically why you wish to attend law school, and in particular Santa Clara Law School. Feel free to include information about your special interests, life experiences, accomplishments, goals, or other information you believe would be helpful to the Admission Committee. Please limit your statement to no more than 3 pages, double-spaced."

"Please upload a brief statement indicating your reasons for wanting to study law, why you chose Chapman University School of Law, and any further information that you feel should be considered by the Admissions Committee. The personal statement must be no longer than three pages in length, typewritten, 12 point font, and double-spaced."

Thanks!

FWIW I applied to 2 of those schools last year and made no changes to my generic for all schools personal statement and I was accepted. I wrote about sports and it briefly touched on character traits that will make me a good attorney/why law toward the end.

335 karma

@oshun1 said:

@LAWYERED said:

@"David.Busis" said:

Thanks!

FWIW I applied to 2 of those schools last year and made no changes to my generic for all schools personal statement and I was accepted. I wrote about sports and it briefly touched on character traits that will make me a good attorney/why law toward the end.

Awesome! Did you write a narrative/ story-based personal statement?

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited November 2018 3652 karma

@LAWYERED said:

@oshun1 said:

@LAWYERED said:

@"David.Busis" said:

Thanks!

Awesome! Did you write a narrative/ story-based personal statement?

I guess it would be considered in that category yeah. Depending on your stats and if those are your top choices you may want to consider answering the prompt more directly and incorporating Why X components into it.

• kleinstdkleinstd Alum Member
    68 karma

do you have to include how your personal statement coincides with wanting to go to law school or why you would be a good lawyer?