Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diversity statement topic help

Hi guys!

I'm getting ready to apply to a few schools before December 25, and am considering writing diversity statement. I am the daughter of immigrants and know that is a decent topic for a diversity statement, but I think I want to focus on my undergraduate studies for a potential topic instead. I majored in Human Biology and Spanish in undergrad, and I know probably the majority of people applying to law school will not have science majors in their background. As odd as it may be that I am applying to law school with Bachelor degrees in both these two areas (maybe less so with Spanish), I really do think that my studies have contributed to my continued desire to study the law, and have prepared me in different ways for doing so. I declared a major in human biology for the opportunity to master something much greater than just the natural sciences, but to apply the sciences to the bigger picture by incorporating information learned from the social sciences and the humanities.I have learned the importance of collaborative problem solving, ethical reasoning, the application of scientific reasoning in a non-scientific setting, etc.

Because of the material taught at all three levels in this department, I have the skills to see health with a more holistic approach as it relates to environmental issues on the global scale, and how the branches of natural and social sciences and the humanities all overlap, allowing for identifying and addressing issues we face today. This has motivated me more to study environmental and health related law, while I am still interested in exploring other areas of law as well.

To me, I think this gives me a different perspective and allows me to stand out at least somewhat against other applicants, but I would love to hear if you guys think this is a compelling enough for a diversity statement. As David and the admissions team have said so many times, I don't want a poor diversity statement to negatively impact my application. All comments and suggestions are welcome!

Thanks guys! Hope you all have an awesome week!

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

If you don't have a personal statement already, I would write your personal statement about your science background/how it contributes to your desire to study law and make the diversity statement about you immigration background

• HouseStark07HouseStark07 Member
    29 karma

@MissChanandler I thought about that too, but I wrote my personal statement already on my decision to study law and to finally find the courage to tell my parents about it during my senior year of undergrad, because they really wanted me to go to medical school. It seems sort of silly but honestly it was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do because I feared disappointing them so much. And now that I think about it, I already mention both being the daughter of immigrants and how my majors both paved the way for me to study law, so then should I even write a diversity statement? I wanted to take the opportunity to write the optional essays if I could, but I don't want to sound redundant either

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Generally, not writing a diversity statement is not something that will be held against you. If your diversity is something that shows through in your application already, you don't really need to write one. I am definitely not an admissions expert though. I think that the admissions course and/or 7sage blog has a section on diversity statements, maybe check that out?

• Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    893 karma

I would vote with MissChanandler and make your diversity statement about your immigrant background.

• edited December 2018 534 karma

I completely disagree with the other commenters. I was in the same place as you about a month ago. I just submitted my first few apps this weekend and have no results as of yet, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I too had obvious diversity topics to write about (race) but chose to write my diversity statement about something not race-related. Instead, I briefly referenced my race in my personal statement (it was definitely not the main topic at all) as it related to the overall PS topic. My decision came down to three main factors.

1) Diversity is important, but there's probably not a completely unique diversity topic out there. Admissions committees have likely seen more than one version of the "overcoming racial prejudices" "overcoming being an immigrant" or even "my major is different from most applicants" stories before. Obviously, those stories are still impactful and not all written the same way or with the same details, but if you think you can crank out a better story about your diverse major and it's the story you want to tell, then it could turn out to be the more well-written and impactful story.

2) For some schools, there may be a short answer or additional essay question where you can write something that relates to the impact of being a daughter of immigrants.

3) If the idea that you are the daughter of immigrants is mentioned at least somewhere in your application (i.e. Personal statement or add'tl essay), admissions committees may find it interesting that you didn't go for the obvious diversity essay.

We're all multi-faceted people and just because there's an aspect of our background that obviously showcases our diversity doesn't mean there aren't other aspects that we feel also contributes to our diverse opinions/perspectives in a meaningful way.