Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does it mean when your LSAC GPA is listed as a range?

SupernoviceSupernovice Alum Member
edited September 2021 in Law School Admissions 323 karma

I've searched all over the forum and couldn't find anything on this topic. I'm prior military and I went to several institutions before and during my service to complete my undergrad degree. The LSAC has my GPA listed as "3.0 - 3.49". Why is that? What does that mean (other than I was a very mediocre student 😁)? It never really stood out to me because I thought perhaps everyone's was listed in a similar way, but having searched the forum, I can't find another example of anyone with an LSAC GPA listed as a range... I'm a bit confused because my actual degree GPA is within that range, so why not just use that GPA?

Can someone explain this sorcery?

Comments

• SupernoviceSupernovice Alum Member
    edited December 2018 323 karma

Well, @Supernovice, since you've asked and, apparently, no one else has this problem, I called LSAC for you this morning and they have informed me: 'It is because you went to multiple schools and some of the credits you received before going to your degree granting institution were not converted at your degree granting institution. Your cumulative GPA from that institution is 3.36, but we here at LSAC would've given you a 3.49 based on your 3.7 GPA from the last school you attended--the ones which were not converted by your degree granting institution. To be on the safe side, we threw in that "3.0" because that was your lowest grade, figured we'd point that out for everyone up front, for no particular reason whatsoever, but definitely not to your advantage. So basically, it's up to the law school to which you apply to decide what your GPA is within that range. Also known as: "it's complicated."

Basically instead of just saying your LSAC GPA is 3.49, we threw in a few layers of extra-confusing stuff that no one could clearly understand.'

Hope this helps you, Sir!

• kellysmithsmithsmithkellysmithsmithsmith Free Trial Member
    25 karma

Are you sure they dont list a more specific GPA eslewhere? My GPA, for example, is listed as: "GPA:
    3.75 and up/almost all As"
    on the cover sheet,
    But then in the body of the academic summary report, it has an actual number.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Whoa so weird! Glad you called and thanks for reporting back - that may help someone else out in the future.

323 karma

@kellysmithsmithsmith said:
    Are you sure they dont list a more specific GPA eslewhere? My GPA, for example, is listed as: "GPA:
    3.75 and up/almost all As"
    on the cover sheet,
    But then in the body of the academic summary report, it has an actual number.

Yes, it was just confusing because I had 5 different transcripts. The 3.36 seems to be the "final answer" and where I will land in the pile. I think when I called, the nice lady I spoke to tried to explain their entire process to me very rapidly while looking at all my transcripts and those credits which were and those which were not converted--then my brain went into full thermonuclear meltdown mode. 😳

• skernoshskernosh Member
    18 karma

I went to two different colleges as well and they list my GPA as a range. For some reason, I just thought that is how all the GPAs were listed :)

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

So what I took from the complicated LSAC response (viewing the world through my glass half-empty lens) is that when the school you matriculate reports to USNWR, they will report you as a 3.49 student. However, when you and that school are negotiating scholarships, they are going to say, "Well, your uGPA is a 3.0, so we can only give you this amount."

Thanks LSAC.

323 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker said:
    So what I took from the complicated LSAC response (viewing the world through my glass half-empty lens) is that when the school you matriculate reports to USNWR, they will report you as a 3.49 student. However, when you and that school are negotiating scholarships, they are going to say, "Well, your uGPA is a 3.0, so we can only give you this amount."

Thanks LSAC.

Dude, I totally had that exact same thought. I also thought if I apply to several schools the ones that accept me will accept me for the 3.49 and the ones that decline me will reject me for the 3.0. LOL!

I was the one who was confused, though. It is in my ASR as 3.36 if you can manage to scroll all the way down to the bottom of my laundry list of transcripts. When I called and the lady told me "the school will decide," I thought "then why did I send you guys all the transcripts and go through all this?" Whatever. I'm new to this. I blame my inexperience instead of just admitting I'm stupid.

• ben.park.jskben.park.jsk Member
    5 karma

For me, I didn't really goto multiple undergrad and it listed my gpa as a range too. But, I served in a military before graduating. Maybe leave of absents has something to do with this as well. So, if your GPA is a range(like @Supernovice ), it'll depend on what law school admission takes as your gpa?

I hope they take the high side... I realize that this post is 3 years old, but could not find anywhere regarding LSAC GPA being range. For several weeks since I sent in my transcript, under academic summary it says "Transcript analysis data not on file." and under "Bachelor's Degree-Granting Institution" it has all the info including my GPA range.

• dicino63dicino63 Core Member
    142 karma

So weird. I went to three different colleges and mine is reported as a single number. I wonder why?

323 karma

@dicino63

All your transfer credits were validated by the degree-granting institution? Unlike us unruly military vets whose credits were either graciously accepted by our law schools or viciously discarded for whatever reason, I suppose. Didn't matter in the end... As a veteran, my school offered "The Yellow Ribbon" program which pays whatever leftover tuition your GI Bill doesn't pay, so they were really sketch on giving scholarship money on top of that, in spite of GPA or LSAT scores. I could have pressed the issue until admissions pointed out, "if you take that money, you will deprive another student of it, and you're already not going to pay a dime for your law school education." Made me feel a little selfish, and there is, of course, an argument of semantics like: "No, Dude. I paid for it for 22.5 half years already, but I get your point. Let someone else have it."