Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Criminal record/law application

Slambur09Slambur09 Free Trial Member

Anyone else applying with a criminal record? Advise on how I should go about disclosing such info?

Comments

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited December 2018 3652 karma

Just be straight forward and don’t make excuses or go too much in detail about the event itself. Focus on remorse/understanding what you did was wrong/I’m doing better now.

ie for a DUI one wouldn’t write...my friends bought me too many drinks and convinced me to drive their car and I was I only pulled over because I kept slowing down at green lights since my drunk friends weren’t telling me when to turn and I didn’t even hit anything/anyone.

I was at the Georgetown law group interview and we went over actual student applications and the dean really emphasized the importance of taking accountability. One applicant had great stats but was suspended for a year for plagiarism. In her addendum she just wrote that it was a misunderstanding over not citing sources in a rough draft and since then she’s done all these great things with her life. At no point did she write something like plagiarism is a serious issue and I understand the importance of blah blah etc. She didn’t seem remorseful at all. That student wasn’t admitted.

The really general format is like
    X happened on Y date. I was charged with Z. I haven’t done X since. My actions were inexcusable/I understand that it it’s bad.

• LouislepauvreLouislepauvre Alum Member
    750 karma

I would echo what was just said but also add that you should add enough detail about the event to adequately describe it/what happened/the disposition. Definitely take full responsibility, make no excuses, and emphasize that you’re different now.

Ask Asha has a great post on this:
    https://law.yale.edu/admissions/jd-admissions/ask-asha/bad-idea-jeans-cf-drive-bys

• NaomiaveryNaomiavery Alum Member
    25 karma

Don't give more information than you need though. Yes behonest, yes take accountability but don't provide more information than you need.
    1 in 5 law students have a criminal record. I personally know 2 accepted law students who have records. 1- has a felony and the other has 3 felonies. Both accepted and they both say, stick to the main point and dont over explain.
    Don't worry about it. I also have a few drunk in disorderly conducts. People make mistakes, it's what we do afterwards that count :)

• LouislepauvreLouislepauvre Alum Member
    750 karma

@Naomiavery said:
    Don't give more information than you need though. Yes behonest, yes take accountability but don't provide more information than you need.
    1 in 5 law students have a criminal record. I personally know 2 accepted law students who have records. 1- has a felony and the other has 3 felonies. Both accepted and they both say, stick to the main point and dont over explain.
    Don't worry about it. I also have a few drunk in disorderly conducts. People make mistakes, it's what we do afterwards that count :)

Out of curiosity, where did you find that statistic that 1 in 5 law students have a criminal record?

• SupernoviceSupernovice Alum Member
    323 karma

@Naomiavery said:
    I personally know 2 accepted law students who have records. 1- has a felony and the other has 3 felonies.

Don't worry about it. I also have a few drunk in disorderly conducts.

...and that's when I decided, "I wanna party with this girl.