Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Submit with no LORs?

Hey guys, so it looks like I won't get my 2 letter writers to turn in their LORs until 2-3 weeks from now. I have everything else completed. Once I get my LSAT score this Saturday, should I submit my apps? Or wait until my 2 letters are in to CAS?
Thanks.

Comments

• edited December 2018 534 karma

Will CAS even let you do that? I haven't tried but did get error/reminder messages about needing to assign a LOR before adding my applications to the cart. Not sure if there's a way to bypass this. If you can, then I don't see why you shouldn't submit now. It'll at least give schools a jumpstart on creating your account on their portal.

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    770 karma

@"Michaela.Pratt1" yeah I'm kind of confused how CAS and LORs work. If I submit my individual applications to each school without my CAS being complete (no LORs in my file yet), does that mean Law School Reports will not be sent to law schools when they request it?

• edited December 2018 534 karma

Have you tried putting the applications into your cart and getting through to the payment page? If you get there, then maybe they send everything on file and just update law schools when your CAS updates. But what I was saying is that I'm not sure if LSAC even lets you get through to the payment page without assigning LORs.

770 karma

@"Michaela.Pratt1" said:
    Have you tried putting the applications into your cart and getting through to the payment page? If you get there, then maybe they send everything on file and just update law schools when your CAS updates. But what I was saying is that I'm not sure if LSAC even lets you get through to the payment page without assigning LORs.

Ya it did get me to the cart and payment page.

edited December 2018 770 karma

I guess I'm trying to find out whether, if I submit my apps now, and the schools subsequently request my law school report from LSAC, would LSAC even send in the reports because my file is missing the letters?

Or would my CAS file basically be incomplete and sitting in purgatory until the letters are received by LSAC?

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

@tekken1225 said:
    I guess I'm trying to find out whether, if I submit my apps now, and the schools subsequently request my law school report from LSAC, would LSAC even send in the reports because my file is missing the letters?

Or would my CAS file basically be incomplete and sitting in purgatory until the letters are received by LSAC?

If you go to your LSAC page and click on the Law School Report tabs and scroll all the way to the bottom, you will see a link "What do the codes mean?" Click on that link and you will see 13 reasons for your CAS report to not generate. One of which is incomplete LOR so I imagine your app will be stuck in limbo regardless (mine did not generate for a different reason).

• SupernoviceSupernovice Alum Member
    323 karma

I applied to a school last month before my LSAT scores were released and what @eRetaker describes is exactly what happened to my file. The law school received my application which had my PS and biographical data, but it did not get my CAS report (including LOR's) and that code appears on my CAS which says why the CAS was not sent: "No reportable score." The school contacted me and said my CAS had not been received so I sent them an email just to follow up and they said yes, don't worry it was just a courtesy email (form letter) and that as soon as my scores were released they would be automatically updated with the complete package and that they had added me to their database.

LSAC did go ahead and charge me for it and accept my payment, though. So, there's that.