Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to start gearing up for a second take

Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
in General 2186 karma

I’m seeking some advice from anyone whos underperformed on their first take.
I scored a 160 which is 5 points below my average on my November take. I’ve decided to sit out this cycle and focus on getting my score up as high as possible for the next cycle. Should I go through the CC again considering I was BRing in the 172-175 range before I wrote in Nov?

I also noticed I performed slightly worse as the test went on. My 5th section was LR and I went -8. My LR average on PTs is -3. Was there potentially some fatigue at play here? I never practiced 5 section PTs.

I also wasn’t incredibly healthy going into the test. Had lost about 10 pounds from stress and lack of eating. This is something I’m going to work on while studying in the future.

Thanks!

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

I think good decision to sit out a cycle.

Start by taking better care of yourself. I get the stresses and pressures that go into all of this, and I had to be proactive. Put yourself on a schedule and develop a routine. Get up at the same time every day; eat at the same times every day; exercise at the same time every day; build in time for relaxation every day. I set alarms on my phone which would go off to tell me what to do and when to do it. My phone was my boss for a long time and I just did what it said when it said it. Healthiest I’ve ever been in my whole life.

From there, reflect on your study habits. What can you do differently to grow as a student and tester? How can you diagnose your weaknesses more effectively? What, specifically, are you going to do differently in order to expect different results? Another year of more of the same is unlikely to lead to improvements. I suppose in your case it might be acceptable just to not underperform on test day, but even that needs to be answered for. Why do you think you underperformed, and what can you do about it? Also, need to think about the test switching to digital. Lots to consider!

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    I think good decision to sit out a cycle.

Start by taking better care of yourself. I get the stresses and pressures that go into all of this, and I had to be proactive. Put yourself on a schedule and develop a routine. Get up at the same time every day; eat at the same times every day; exercise at the same time every day; build in time for relaxation every day. I set alarms on my phone which would go off to tell me what to do and when to do it. My phone was my boss for a long time and I just did what it said when it said it. Healthiest I’ve ever been in my whole life.

From there, reflect on your study habits. What can you do differently to grow as a student and tester? How can you diagnose your weaknesses more effectively? What, specifically, are you going to do differently in order to expect different results? Another year of more of the same is unlikely to lead to improvements. I suppose in your case it might be acceptable just to not underperform on test day, but even that needs to be answered for. Why do you think you underperformed, and what can you do about it? Also, need to think about the test switching to digital. Lots to consider!

Thats a lot of great advise! I'm pretty sure taking better care of myself will help exponentially. The phone tip is useful. I also do much better when my days follow a strict schedule. And yes the switch to digital has put a bit of a time limit on my LSAT journey. Certainly need to be ready by March or June at the latest.

27809 karma

You'll be testing in July as well, haha. I am in the process of writing a post about this actually, but for the July test you'll get to see your score before you decide to cancel or not. This is such an enormous advantage to July testers that I think it's borderline criminal. You have nothing to lose; take the July test.

• edited December 2018 148 karma

@"Cant Get Right" If the June 2019 disclosed exam results come out before the July 2019 exam ,is there a way to get a copy of the June test including answer sheet to practice from. Do 7sagers ever share this information for those taking the exam in July. I took the LSAT for the first time in September 2018 and got in the low 170's but might go for it one more time with this unique opp to see the score before making the decision to cancel . The problem is prior to the
    September exam, I have blown through all recent PT (72-84) took test 85 for my first LSAT and will only have ONE more recent PT (test 86) to study from as the jan and march test will be undisclosed. Would love to get a hold of the June 2019 test when the results come out which is about 3 wks before the July 2019 test.

27809 karma

@"Lawschoolhopeful-4" said:
    @"Cant Get Right" If the June 2019 disclosed exam results come out before the July 2019 exam ,is there a way to get a copy of the June test including answer sheet to practice from. Do 7sagers ever share this information for those taking the exam in July. I took the LSAT for the first time in September 2018 and got in the low 170's but might go for it one more time with this unique opp to see the score before making the decision to cancel . The problem is prior to the
    September exam, I have blown through all recent PT (72-84) took test 85 for my first LSAT and will only have ONE more recent PT (test 86) to study from as the jan and march test will be undisclosed. Would love to get a hold of the June 2019 test when the results come out which is about 3 wks before the July 2019 test.

Hey, congrats on breaking the 170 threshold first of all! For a July attempt, even without fresh recent material, probably still worth a crack at it. Earlier tests are still incredibly valuable and are worth using for that. As far as obtaining the June test, that probably won't be an option. Not sure when it will be published, but sharing it before its publication (or after, for that matter) is a violation of both LSAC terms of service and copyright law!

• @"Cant Get Right" thank you. Would not want to break copyright laws.

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    You'll be testing in July as well, haha. I am in the process of writing a post about this actually, but for the July test you'll get to see your score before you decide to cancel or not. This is such an enormous advantage to July testers that I think it's borderline criminal. You have nothing to lose; take the July test.

I actually just read about this. Seems like it could be a good opportunity to try to top a previous score with little cost. I hope the digital transition isn't as rough as I think it will be.

27809 karma

@"Pride Only Hurts" said:
    I actually just read about this. Seems like it could be a good opportunity to try to top a previous score with little cost. I hope the digital transition isn't as rough as I think it will be.

It's a GREAT opportunity to try to top a previous score with little cost!