Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Applying and then re-taking

kayyyy95kayyyy95 Alum Member
in General 95 karma

Hi all,

I just got my November LSAT score and it not only wasn’t my target score, but also didn’t improve from my last score. I was PTing a good 7-8 points above where I ended up scoring, so I feel bad not retaking. But for various reasons, I’m also set on applying this cycle. Is it at all possible to apply to schools with the scores I have and then re-take the LSAT in January and have that score added to my file? I don’t want them to hold my application for that new score because I wouldn’t want to apply that late, so I guess I’m wondering if it’s possible to take the test after the fact and then have a score added to my file (at least for those schools that haven’t made a decision yet).

Thanks!

Comments

• SLP_futureJDSLP_futureJD Alum Member
    464 karma

Hi! I'm in a similar boat as you. I'm applying to schools in 2 batches. For the schools that my LSAT score is okay, I'm applying now. For the schools that it is not, I'm waiting. I did have to indicate on each application that I'm planning to take the January test. I'm going to email the schools that I'm applying to now and request that they go ahead and review my application as long as it isn't against their policy. Hope that helps!

• kayyyy95kayyyy95 Alum Member
    95 karma

@SLP_futureJD said:
    Hi! I'm in a similar boat as you. I'm applying to schools in 2 batches. For the schools that my LSAT score is okay, I'm applying now. For the schools that it is not, I'm waiting. I did have to indicate on each application that I'm planning to take the January test. I'm going to email the schools that I'm applying to now and request that they go ahead and review my application as long as it isn't against their policy. Hope that helps!

That did help, thank you! So did you call the schools that you wanted to wait for and ask if they would be able to begin reviewing your application, noting that you are hoping to have a better score to send them at a later date? I would love to take that route, but just want to make sure I’m not risking applying too late for the chance at a slightly higher LSAT. Thanks so much for your input!

464 karma

@kayyyy95 I didn't. I replied to the email stating that they had received my application asking them to go ahead and review it with my November score as long as it wasn't against their policy (some schools wait until you have that final score no matter what. I don't know which ones- just what I have read on here). I feel like mentioning that I'm hoping to do better in January is obvious, and I didn't want to make them feel like my 2nd string schools. That's just my approach though. Good luck!

• joelakaufmannjoelakaufmann Alum Member
    13 karma

I am in a similar position. From everything that I have heard, schools get an update when you get a new LSAT score. Almost all schools will accept a January score. So my plan is apply now with my September score then retake in January. Also if you get waitlisted with your current score you can write a letter of continued interest and mention the new score.

464 karma

I just found this on Michigan's website and thought it would be good to add here:

I am re-taking the LSAT. If I submit my application prior to re-taking the LSAT, but with a previous score on record, will my application be reviewed prior to the release of my new score?

If you are comfortable with all your other application materials, we encourage you to submit your application now rather than waiting for a new LSAT score to send everything—and to make sure to let us know the new score is en route. Because we have a rolling admissions process, there is some advantage to being reviewed earlier rather than later, and if you submit all your materials only after receiving your score, your application will not be complete and ready for review until several additional weeks later. (But if you submit all your other materials in advance, then when the score arrives we can complete your application file immediately and submit it for review; rather than just beginning to process it at that time.)

While we do not universally hold applications in limbo while we await a new score, our reviewers will see that you are registered for a future LSAT. If we feel that a new score could be a decision-making difference, we will set the application aside and re-review it once the new score arrives. But if we are comfortable admitting you without seeing the new score, we will go ahead and do that; by the same token, if we are sure that an increased LSAT score would not alone lead to a different outcome, we will issue a final decision before receiving the score. If that happens, you are welcome to request that we reconsider your application in light of new information.

https://www.law.umich.edu/prospectivestudents/admissions/Pages/faq.aspx#lsat