Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

⚡Official November 2018 LSAT Discussion Thread⚡

1234568»

Comments

• 1Science1Art1Science1Art Alum Member
    269 karma

I am so crushed that I have been off my computer and this forum all day.
    I really felt good about the test, in fact I told my husband that I felt the test opened itself up to me. I wasn't nervous, I was relaxed and was even having fun. I had practiced so many times under test conditions that it really just seemed like another practice test. I am good at skipping time consuming questions and returning to them. I am good at broad-strokes synopses of LR paragraphs etc. All of these really led me to feel that I understood the test. I know I'm not and have never been a high scorer, but I was PT'ing in the 159-162 range and I was feeling great, because the school that I want is right in that range.
    So when I got my score back yesterday morning and I see a 146...well, I was contemplating just posting to this discussion board, " Congrats to all of you who did well, and I hope you all have a wonderful life being lawyers, but I obviously cannot do it. Maybe it's just not for me."
    I am so broken. I don't know what to do.
    I have a nearly perfect GPA and I have good LOR, should I apply this cycle and just hope they accept me? But what if they don't, can I apply again with a hopefully better score next cycle or if since I'd already have applied once would I not be allowed to apply again?
    Please help!

• You mentioned in another thread you are a URM. if that is so and you are a URM with a near perfect GPA I think you will be okay applying this cycle. However, if scholarship is important and you were PTing in the 159-162 and this was just your first LSAT waiting another cycle might be a serious option.

• Kdub1458Kdub1458 Member
    5 karma

First congrats to everyone who got the scores that they wanted or higher!!

To the rest of us congrats on making it through the stress and the studying. But if you're like me, it's time to make a tough decision.

I got a 157 which I'm happy with since I started studying for the LSAT in September with a diagnostic of 144 (THANK YOU 7SAGE). Given that I studied for this one while working full time and taking classes 4 nights a week I'm considering a retake in January since my classes will be finished, but I'm worried about applying later given my abysmal UGPA. I feel like the possibility of added points on the LSAT might be worth it? But what if I get lower? Or the same? Should I wait for the next cycle?

I don't know I am an URM and a non traditional student (certified paralegal whose been working in law firms for the last few years) but I still feel like my UGPA combined with a good but not great LSAT will sink my chances.

I'm really torn, I've been contemplating all morning. At this point I might leave it up to a coin toss.

269 karma

@"Lawschoolhopeful-4" said:
    You mentioned in another thread you are a URM. if that is so and you are a URM with a near perfect GPA I think you will be okay applying this cycle. However, if scholarship is important and you were PTing in the 159-162 and this was just your first LSAT waiting another cycle might be a serious option.

Thank you for reaching out. Nov is actually my 2nd test. I took the June one too where I got a 148. So if I would apply this cycle I would use the 148 score, so that is the tiniest bit better I guess. And I would have loved to have scholarship money, but...maybe I should just accept that this is it. What I am worried about is what if I can reach the high 50/low 60s in PTs but I can't repeat it in the test? Self-doubt is a weird thing. Anyway, thank you for your feedback and for your time.

• Llama WhispererLlama Whisperer Alum Member
    138 karma

@Guillaume said:

I think that’s an option for me. I’m currently in my 4th year. I’m stuck between two options.
    1. Take the January exam (4th LSAT take) and study hard until then to improve my score and still have a shot at improving my LSAT this cycle. BUT risk getting the same and having to do the LSAT a 5th time after I graduate for the 2020 intake cycle.
    OR
    2. Just give up on the 2019 cycle, see what happens, if I get in anywhere, and after I graduate study hard and get a good grade on the 4th retake for 2020 cycle.

What do you think?

I think it depends on how you're feeling. Take 2-3 days off from the LSAT and revisit this when you are in a better state of mind. There's roughly 7 weeks from now until the January LSAT, and it depends on whether you can pinpoint your weaknesses and improve on those weaknesses during this period (also consider the holidays and be realistic in your ability to study while everyone is celebrating). If you think you're up for it then definitely go for it. Otherwise, enjoy the holidays and kill your last term in the new year.

In the grand scheme of things delaying one year is not a big deal. Get some work/volunteer experience while studying and you'll start law school a stronger and more mature student. A word of advice though - keep your GPA up. In my fourth year I was pretty much over being in school and just coasted. It is now costing me (ie. I have to get a higher LSAT score than if I just put my head down and focused during my last year of undergrad).

I think this is what I'll end up doing. Its just so shocking because every single one of my PTs were 165 or higher. And I just can't improve my score when it comes to the real thing...very disappointed in myself

• yurple591yurple591 Alum Member
    62 karma

still haven’t looked. i’m.. terrified

• Jennmf13Jennmf13 Member
    28 karma

@1Science1Art thanks for sharing your story. I experienced the same result. This was my second time writing and once again I bombed it. I am so great at being terrible!! I even started to look at other programs because I was feeling so sorry for myself. I truly felt like this was the test; I felt really positive after I finished writing. It feels defeating now, but what’s more defeating is choosing not to rewrite. Don’t give up. I really feel for you. You’re not the only one! Hang in there and give it another shot because nothing good is ever easy! I’m going to binge eat delicious food for the next week and not feel guilty about it. Then I’m going to get my sorry ass back the gym and the library and then I’m going slay this test (on the third time)!!! #ladyboss

269 karma

@Jennmf13 said:
    @1Science1Art thanks for sharing your story. I experienced the same result. This was my second time writing and once again I bombed it. I am so great at being terrible!! I even started to look at other programs because I was feeling so sorry for myself. I truly felt like this was the test; I felt really positive after I finished writing. It feels defeating now, but what’s more defeating is choosing not to rewrite. Don’t give up. I really feel for you. You’re not the only one! Hang in there and give it another shot because nothing good is ever easy! I’m going to binge eat delicious food for the next week and not feel guilty about it. Then I’m going to get my sorry ass back the gym and the library and then I’m going slay this test (on the third time)!!! #ladyboss

Thanks for writing this, and for taking the time to cheer me up.I swore I wouldn't do it again, but I also know that if I don't give it everything I have, I'll regret it. I truly hate the idea of regret. I have some soul searching to do.

• LawSkewlProbsLawSkewlProbs Alum Member
    103 karma

You have proven that you can do better. No one knows why these types of outcomes occur. I say you get back to studying. You can do this. Don't settle. Who wants a lawyer who is willing to fold easily when things are looking unfavorable. I want to read how you kicked the LSAT in the metaphorical "whatever". Let's do this. I, too, tested below what I have been scoring on PT's. I'm just getting back in the lab and ready to rumble with this thing.

• edited December 2018 148 karma

@"Llama Whisperer" and @1Science1Art did you practice with Newer test in the 70's and 80's. If you purchased the starter course and just practicing with test in the 30's an 40's that could be the reason why you see a difference in your practice test scores and real LSAT score. Great to practice with older tests but also important to practice with newer tests as subtle differences in LR and also changes with the comparative RC sections. If you purchased the starter package and completed the CC and the older practice tests, you could either purchase the newer tests with 7sage individually(if your course is expired i think you would have to purchase a new course to do this) or purchase them through amazon. If you purchase PT through amazon, the recent book of 10 PT or the inidividual newer test 82-85 you would not have access to the 7sage explanations for RC and LR only the LG but there are other explanations free online.

• JRose1210JRose1210 Alum Member
    86 karma

I am also in the same situation and it really does suck. I was scoring 10 points higher on practice tests and bombed the LSAT again. I’m 31 years old, a mother, and a full-time employee & I wasn’t sure I wanted to test again. I thought about giving up and just getting certified (currently a paralegal). But it isn’t what I want to do with my life. After much thought, I realized that I can’t give up. I’m going to age regardless, might as well keep trying! My daughter knows how hard I’ve been working for this, and if I give up, I feel I won’t set the right example for her. You can do this! We’ve come too far to just quit!

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

@JRose1210 said:
    I am also in the same situation and it really does suck. I was scoring 10 points higher on practice tests and bombed the LSAT again. I’m 31 years old, a mother, and a full-time employee & I wasn’t sure I wanted to test again. I thought about giving up and just getting certified (currently a paralegal). But it isn’t what I want to do with my life. After much thought, I realized that I can’t give up. I’m going to age regardless, might as well keep trying! My daughter knows how hard I’ve been working for this, and if I give up, I feel I won’t set the right example for her. You can do this! We’ve come too far to just quit!

^^This.

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

Truly hope nobody gives up on their dream simply because this test has proven to be a more arduous undertaking than we expected. There are plenty of really inspirational stories on 7sage from people who started in the 140s and struggled their way up to a 170 over the course of 2 sometimes 3 years. It's a process and for those of us who are typically shitty test takers, it's often a much longer process. One thing to keep in mind is that as difficult as this may be, Law School will be far more challenging.

• mochapup812mochapup812 Alum Member
    8 karma

@1Science1Art, if I were you I would wait and apply next cycle. I am kind of in the same boat with the LSAT I was Pting between 159 and 165 and I got my score back and it was a 154! I was shocked because I have never PTed that low before ever! my diagnostic was higher than that. I decided to delay a cycle, take the lsat in the summer (june and july) and apply as early in cycle as possible to maximize my chances. If you are Pting way higher than youre scoring, something was happening that doesnt have anything to do with your abilities! I would take some time to figure out what that is and fix it for next cycle. LSAT is 60% of your ENTIRE application, a 148 will really hurt your changes a ton with a school averaging 159-162, even if you can get that score up to a 156 or so it would increase your chances a ton. Every point on the LSAT improves your odds so much!

269 karma

@JRose1210 said:

I too have daughters that I really want to inspire with my story of never giving up and it never being too late to pursue a dream.
    I really was feeling truly sorry for myself because I was reading all the initial posts on this thread on Sat morning and they were all celebratory and positive, so it really did seem that I was the only one that drew the short stick. So, as much as I wouldn't wish this rotten luck on anyone, it's comforting to read about others who had a result that they were not hoping for, and yet are still willing to stand up, wipe the blood off their lips and face their opponent again.
    Of course I'm going to jump back in the ring again! Like you said, We've come too far to just quit.
    @JRose1210 Thanks for the love mama

269 karma

@mochapup812 said:
    @1Science1Art, if I were you I would wait and apply next cycle. I am kind of in the same boat with the LSAT I was Pting between 159 and 165 and I got my score back and it was a 154! I was shocked because I have never PTed that low before ever! my diagnostic was higher than that. I decided to delay a cycle, take the lsat in the summer (june and july) and apply as early in cycle as possible to maximize my chances. If you are Pting way higher than youre scoring, something was happening that doesnt have anything to do with your abilities! I would take some time to figure out what that is and fix it for next cycle. LSAT is 60% of your ENTIRE application, a 148 will really hurt your changes a ton with a school averaging 159-162, even if you can get that score up to a 156 or so it would increase your chances a ton. Every point on the LSAT improves your odds so much!

@mochapup812 Thanks for the advice. It seems like you're probably right. I was worried because I am a LOT older than everyone on here etc. then there is 3 years of school so I wouldn't even be entering the workforce with my fellow 1st year associates until I am **years old (trust me, it's old lol) but as @JRose1210 said, we're going to age regard less might as well try and do it in the way that is best for me.
    Thanks for the advice. I will strongly consider the wisdom of it.

269 karma

@"Pride Only Hurts" said:
    Truly hope nobody gives up on their dream simply because this test has proven to be a more arduous undertaking than we expected. There are plenty of really inspirational stories on 7sage from people who started in the 140s and struggled their way up to a 170 over the course of 2 sometimes 3 years. It's a process and for those of us who are typically shitty test takers, it's often a much longer process. One thing to keep in mind is that as difficult as this may be, Law School will be far more challenging.

The path of struggle seems to be my lot in life, I sound almost Buddhist.
    I once heard of a guy who started studying for the test 1 month before he took it and got into Harvard. That has certainly not been my experience lol, but honestly with how much I am fighting for this goal, I feel like I am really realizing how important it is to me. If it was easy, maybe I wouldn't appreciate it so much. I watched Creed last night and what Rocky Balboa just kept saying to Creed was " One step at a time, one punch at a time, one round at a time."
    I know 7Sage can get me there maybe I just need more time, and to let go of always trying to be perfect right away.
    @"Pride Only Hurts" Thank you for reminding me that all good things take time

269 karma

@LawSkewlProbs said:
    You have proven that you can do better. No one knows why these types of outcomes occur. I say you get back to studying. You can do this. Don't settle. Who wants a lawyer who is willing to fold easily when things are looking unfavorable. I want to read how you kicked the LSAT in the metaphorical "whatever". Let's do this. I, too, tested below what I have been scoring on PT's. I'm just getting back in the lab and ready to rumble with this thing.

@LawSkewlProbs You are so right. I've never been one to give up. I wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing that I could have maybe broken the streak with 1 more strong effort. And I absolutely cannot let this test win. Time to kick some metaphorical "whatever" together.
    Now I wanna get back in the fight again! Thanks for your note. have an awesome week

• mikeelliottmikeelliott Alum Member
    edited December 2018 31 karma

I got a 158, which was a major improvement from my 153 last year (56th to 74th percentile). However, I really thought that both LR sections (more so the first one than the second one) were more difficult than usual. LR is usually my best section, I average about -5 or -6 for each, and this test I got -8 and -10. Tough pill to swallow, because I met my PT avgs for Reading Comp and I did the best I've ever done on LG. I'm a little scared to re-write just because I doubt I will ever do that well on LG ever again.

I'm a Canadian applicant, and my GPA is high enough to pair with the 158 score to boost my chances of admission. I'm going through some personal issues right now and don't feel like re-writing in January, so I'm going to use this score and see what happens this cycle. I'm still very happy that I was able to make the 5 point improvement. I think this will help my admission chances with at least some of the schools I applied to. But yeah, those LR sections, wow! Brutal. If I had got just 2-3 more questions right I would have broke into the 160's which was what I ultimately wanted to do. But my rationale is that a 158 is close enough.

edited December 2018 138 karma

@"Llama Whisperer" and @1Science1Art did you practice with Newer test in the 70's and 80's. If you purchased the starter course and just practicing with test in the 30's an 40's that could be the reason why you see a difference in your practice test scores and real LSAT score. Great to practice with older tests but also important to practice with newer tests as subtle differences in LR and also changes with the comparative RC sections. If you purchased the starter package and completed the CC and the older practice tests, you could either purchase the newer tests with 7sage individually(if your course is expired i think you would have to purchase a new course to do this) or purchase them through amazon. If you purchase PT through amazon, the recent book of 10 PT or the inidividual newer test 82-85 you would not have access to the 7sage explanations for RC and LR only the LG but there are other explanations free online.

That's the thing! I bought like 4 of the recent "real LSAT" 10 exam books off amazon and used those. I studied so hard, and was PT at an average of 165, lowest PT score was 161, and highest was 167. I'm just very upset and frustrated that 3 takes of the LSAT and i'm still at a 159. Obviously something is wrong with the way I am studying for the exam or my test taking ability. I really want to retake the January one because I am a Canadian student, and even a point increase to 161 would bring me from borderline waitlist/rejected to in. But I'm just so terrified that if I do badly in January, then I'll have to retake AGAIN for the 2020 cycle and I'm just so embarrassed to be taking this LSAT 4 or 5 times when others get it right in one try.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

@"Llama Whisperer" said:

That's the thing! I bought like 4 of the recent "real LSAT" 10 exam books off amazon and used those. I studied so hard, and was PT at an average of 165, lowest PT score was 161, and highest was 167. I'm just very upset and frustrated that 3 takes of the LSAT and i'm still at a 159. Obviously something is wrong with the way I am studying for the exam or my test taking ability. I really want to retake the January one because I am a Canadian student, and even a point increase to 161 would bring me from borderline waitlist/rejected to in. But I'm just so terrified that if I do badly in January, then I'll have to retake AGAIN for the 2020 cycle and I'm just so embarrassed to be taking this LSAT 4 or 5 times when others get it right in one try.

Hey.. It's your journey. Some people get their license the first time they test. Some have to retest. Does anyone care after you get your license and have been driving? Nope. I think the LSAT is kind of the same way. Only you and your schools will know. No one else will. And once you're in law school, none of that matters anyway. Certainly none of that matters after 1L. At all.

• GuillaumeGuillaume Alum Member
    652 karma

@"Llama Whisperer" said:

You should learn to block out the "noise". There will always be people who are naturally good at this, and others who need to work hard. Does it matter how you achieved your goal? I don't think anyone would think less of you in law school for taking the LSAT multiple times.

I'm also retaking for a 2-3 point increase as that would give me a chance at my top choice in Canada, and I've studied for this test while working full time for over a year now. I was PT'ing in the 166-169 range and ended up getting a 164. It was really upsetting because November felt like everything went right and the test didn't feel difficult. The worst part is knowing that if I had gotten 3 more questions right I would have been at 167.

Right now I'm trying to focus on my weaknesses in LR in the hopes that in January I can get those extra 3 questions right. Anyway, good luck with everything! If you're applying in the west coast we might end up in the same school if we get in :)

• fycw2068fycw2068 Alum Member
    404 karma

Hi everyone -- sorry if this has already been answered previously. I tried searching for it but didn't find quite what I was looking for. With the November results + test materials available -- now what? I've printed everything out but I'm not sure how to go about analyzing my performance in preparation for January. This was the first time I took the test so this material feels "sacred" but should I just treat it like any other PT? Thanks!

652 karma

@yafrcho said:
    Hi everyone -- sorry if this has already been answered previously. I tried searching for it but didn't find quite what I was looking for. With the November results + test materials available -- now what? I've printed everything out but I'm not sure how to go about analyzing my performance in preparation for January. This was the first time I took the test so this material feels "sacred" but should I just treat it like any other PT? Thanks!

I treated it like any other PT (ie. blind review then rescore it and analyze)

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    2124 karma

@yafrcho said:

For me, I BRed every single question and identified question types that I consistently missed timed and those that I missed on BR, and now I'm going back to the specific q.types in the CC to review, then I'll do drills. Definitely get out as much from it as you can. Hope this helps.

138 karma

@Guillaume said:

@"Llama Whisperer" said:

You should learn to block out the "noise". There will always be people who are naturally good at this, and others who need to work hard. Does it matter how you achieved your goal? I don't think anyone would think less of you in law school for taking the LSAT multiple times.

I'm also retaking for a 2-3 point increase as that would give me a chance at my top choice in Canada, and I've studied for this test while working full time for over a year now. I was PT'ing in the 166-169 range and ended up getting a 164. It was really upsetting because November felt like everything went right and the test didn't feel difficult. The worst part is knowing that if I had gotten 3 more questions right I would have been at 167.

Right now I'm trying to focus on my weaknesses in LR in the hopes that in January I can get those extra 3 questions right. Anyway, good luck with everything! If you're applying in the west coast we might end up in the same school if we get in :)

That looks like the plan! I think I will put my head down this December, buckle up and try once last time for this cycle in January since I still have the shot. I look forward to meeting you :) I'm really aiming on staying close to home, so fingers crossed!

652 karma

That looks like the plan! I think I will put my head down this December, buckle up and try once last time for this cycle in January since I still have the shot. I look forward to meeting you :) I'm really aiming on staying close to home, so fingers crossed!

That's the spirit! Let's do this!