Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fee waivers from top schools

OvercomerOvercomer Free Trial Member
in General 96 karma

I received multiple fee waivers from schools in the T-14. However, my lsat score is a 161. Should I get excited by these waiver, or do they send them to everyone with scores similar to mine. I'm also a urm so I was wondering if this is why I'm being sent them.

Comments

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited December 2018 3652 karma

Doesn’t mean anything about your likelihood of being accepted. Maybe they like your gpa. App waivers are the equivalent of advertising.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

It's always good to get a waiver but at a 161 it's ambiguous why they would do that. Do you have a strong GPA?

• DawnHenryDawnHenry Alum Member
    edited December 2018 298 karma

Same here (but not URM). I also have a 161. I find it encouraging but don’t put a lot of hopes on it :) the highest ranked waiver so far is Penn. It’s nice to save some $$ when applying, though.

Edit: I do have a high GPA, over 75th percentile at almost every school. But it wasn’t until I broke 160 on the Nov exam that I started to get waivers for the top 20.

• SLP_futureJDSLP_futureJD Alum Member
    edited December 2018 464 karma

I'm in the exact same situation @DawnHenry and @Overcomer Studying for the Jan test, but I keep getting app waivers for schools that I'd really like to go to. I already told a few schools that are T20 to please hold my app until my January score but now I'm wondering if I should have just let them process my application to be earlier in the cycle. I have a few apps yet to submit that I was going to wait on until closer to the Jan test. It's so hard figuring out what to do! I've also seen from the forum that people often advise people in my situation to wait a cycle, but that's not an option for me at this point.

• OvercomerOvercomer Free Trial Member
    96 karma

@Ohnoeshalpme I don't have a strong gpa. Its in the low 3's, so thats why I'm so surprised.