Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Complete List of New Medians

David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator

Hey everyone,

We compiled a complete list of the 2018 medians (class of 2021) here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tUI5y-Sw2utvXvUEk9IQDzC1Rc0NDb7Q4PFwzxYkZpw/edit?usp=sharing

This sheet also contains some numbers on the following:

• Acceptance rate, yield, and first-year class-size
  • App deadline and fee
  • Tuition
  • Profile of student body
  • Profile of faculty
  • Number of students who got scholarships
  • Section size, number of seats in clinics, and field placements
  • Number of students who transferred in and average transfer GPA
  • City and state

There’s another tab on the bottom with all 2018 ABA disclosures except attrition.

We're still working to update our predictor and https://7sage.com/admissions/top-law-school-admissions/ with the new medians. Stay tuned!

Comments

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

@"David.Busis" said:

We're still working to update our predictor and https://7sage.com/admissions/top-law-school-admissions/ with the new medians. Stay tuned!

Yes!!! Another data point to stress over :wink:

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    edited December 2018 8392 karma

Northwestern bumping their median from 168 to 169 is killing me. I know it's 1 point, but the feeling of going from median to below median sucks. And dang Berkeley, upped all 3 LSATs. 75th from 168 to 170 is impressive.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

@"Leah M B" what’s the verdict here? Why have a few of these medians and 75s gone up? Any speculations?

8392 karma

Also I think something looks a little funky with the tuition column. It looks like some of them are per semester and some are per year? And Stanford just says $0 hah.

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7272 karma

@"Leah M B" you didn't get the message that Stanford is free now???

7272 karma

@"Leah M B" jk. I know. Those numbers come from the 509s: http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org/Disclosure509.aspx

Stanford and Harvard list their full-time resident tuition as $0 and $32k, respectively. If someone wants to look into it and report back, we'll all thank you! I'm beat for now, but will look into it next week.

8392 karma

Well I'm just happy that Columbia's tuition is not $69k per semester. 😂 But Stanford is free? What a bargain!! Haha.

Makes sense that the data is a bit funky. Thanks for all your work on this!

@"David.Busis" do you have any thoughts on the overall trends of the new LSAT data here?

@BinghamtonDave Well, my wild speculation would just be that, as we know, LSATs were up across the board and particularly in the higher scoring range. It looks like a lot of schools raised their 25ths, if not median or 75th. Maybe the LSAT is just going to not be a category you can squeak by in as much anymore. I think LSATs and especially top scores were up probably both because of the changes in accommodation requirements and dropping the maximum times you can take the test. Folks are going to be more likely to keep taking it until they can get higher scores. And the ability for more people to get accommodations is going to boost scores a bit as well. All that to say, I think the cycle last year just went a bit more in favor of the schools than the applicants - schools had the pick of the litter in LSAT scores.

I do wonder how the digital testing is going to affect these numbers too. Will scores go up because taking it digitally is more efficient and gives you more time for the questions vs bubbling the scantron? Or will scores go down as people get used to taking it on tablets instead? Seems like next year or 2 in LSAT scores could be a bit of a wild west. Who knows what will happen.

• cgracia12cgracia12 Alum Member
    737 karma

Thank you for doing this! Any idea when the predictor will be updated?

• notsplittsnotsplitts Free Trial Member
    267 karma

So these 2018 medians are up from the 2017 but the current 2019 medians could still be lower than the 2018 ones?

• 776 karma

help - Is there anything like this for Canadian Law schools?

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

Thanks for compiling this David and team! I believe one of the disclosures includes employment stats such as what number of students from a given school went on to work at a firm of 500+ employees, work in gov't (and what level), etc. I don't see that included here.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@NotMyName said:
    Thanks for compiling this David and team! I believe one of the disclosures includes employment stats such as what number of students from a given school went on to work at a firm of 500+ employees, work in gov't (and what level), etc. I don't see that included here.

hasn't been released yet

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

@10000019 Ah right. This is for 2018... these folks don't have jobs yet.

7272 karma

@NotMyName you can see what they do have here: http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org/Disclosure509.aspx

Click "Employment Outcomes" on the left.

7272 karma

@john1roger These medians are for the class that started in the fall of 2018. The medians may change this year, but they won't change by much.

7272 karma

@"Leah M B" They're creeping up—but you knew that. I'll take a closer look a bit later.

• sakox010sakox010 Member
    333 karma

I'm interested to see if WUSTL makes a jump in rankings. Median LSAT of 168 and median GPA of 3.82; both higher than Georgetown. The 25ths are a little weaker though: 160 and 3.39.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

I’m part of these statistics! Hurray! Lol

• wesley.ccwesley.cc Free Trial Member
    9 karma

Awesome work! Thanks!

7272 karma

@sakox010 Note that 25th percentile is not part of the USNWR rankings. The biggest factor (40 percen) is, essentially, reputation, which is one reason the rankings are so sticky and also self-perpetuating.

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/articles/law-schools-methodology

7272 karma

Update—I've added a new tab to show the year-over-year change in the medians: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tUI5y-Sw2utvXvUEk9IQDzC1Rc0NDb7Q4PFwzxYkZpw/edit#gid=2135953872

I've also fixed the tuition numbers. They now show annual in-state tuition for the 2018-2019 school year through Boston University. I greyed the numbers after that to denote that I haven't changed anything from the 2018 509s, whose tuition numbers are unreliable.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    edited December 2018 2689 karma

Interesting. One school I'm looking at went up a little; another went down. Strange. Guess it makes a bigger window of opportunities? LOL
    Thanks for this!

• sakox010sakox010 Member
    333 karma

@"David.Busis" said:
    @sakox010 Note that 25th percentile is not part of the USNWR rankings. The biggest factor (40 percen) is, essentially, reputation, which is one reason the rankings are so sticky and also self-perpetuating.

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/articles/law-schools-methodology

Interesting, thanks for this. While I've always kept up with the rankings of various schools for the last few years, I guess I never really looked too deeply into the actual methodology of how schools are ranked. I thought that medians played a bigger factor.

I think hearing people say things like how law schools would likely choose an applicant from a state university with a higher GPA/LSAT over one that went to a prestigious university but had a lower GPA/LSAT because law schools report their medians to US News played a factor in this misconception of mine.

I was definitely surprised to find out that how big of a factor peer assessment and assessment by lawyers plays, that's for sure.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Are all medians going up, or just ones at the top schools? I’ve heard a lot of conflicting things about this. Some people have said that medians are going down. Is there a good source that compiles this info?

• The JudgesThe Judges Free Trial Member
    364 karma

@"David.Busis" I was wondering if it is possible for 7sage to make a table of 2020-21 law school opening admission dates? Thank you for your time!!

• 410 karma

@Trusttheprocess said:

help - Is there anything like this for Canadian Law schools?

Echoing this person's statements -- would love something like this for Canadian law schools.

• 769 karma

Is it possible/likely to get into a school if your GPA is above the 75th percentile but your LSAT is below the 25th percentile?

• lawschoolaspirantlawschoolaspirant Alum Member
    49 karma

@"Christina Walton" said:
    Is it possible/likely to get into a school if your GPA is above the 75th percentile but your LSAT is below the 25th percentile?

I'd check out the 7sage predictor (https://7sage.com/predictor/) to vaguely gauge your chances, but take it with a grain of salt. Don't forget that you're submitting an entire application -- in addition to your LSAT and GPA, you're also submitting a personal statement, recommendation letters, transcript(s), diversity statements, et al. Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine :smile: