Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Think I can increase by January 2019 test?

kpj744___kpj744___ Alum Member
edited December 2018 in January 2019 LSAT 231 karma

Hi, everyone,

I just discovered 7Sage and am so disappointed that I didn't hear of this sooner. I'm a full-time working mother, as well, so that's made things tricky -- but I devote about 3-4 hours a day of studying (not all of it intense, as I can get distracted if I'm honest). Anyway, I took the test without studying (ridiculous rookie error) way back last February and got a 150. In November, after Kaplan 2x (thinking this was not a wise move on my part), I got 155. I want at least a 160+, ideally. My dream would be a 165. I'm not looking for top tier schools or anything like that, just more that I want (need) a higher score to ensure that I can get some help in the financial department.... don't we all?

Currently, I do the best in LG (~9 to ~5), semi-OK in RC (about ~8 to ~5). In LR, I can get anywhere from ~14 to ~7; it honestly depends on if I get distracted or slow myself down (I used to be great at skipping and going back and having some time left over...).

So, what do you all think -- can I get enough out of this course even by starting now, to make a difference of 160+ by January 26th? Do I do the starter course option or the ultimate? I'm not necessarily looking for your assurance that "definitely yes you can do this" (because I know there's human error, etc., and it really depends on how well I manage my time/study) but I am looking for if you think the content in here is do-able in the time I have in terms of the area I need to focus on (LR). Also, if you think the Starter is what I can use or if I should go Ultimate+. Thanks! #help

Comments

• edited December 2018 534 karma

If you're looking for a 5-10 point increase in just over a month, you're going to need the Ultimate course and to devote way more than 3-4 hours of studying a day. It takes a while to get over the 160 and 165 hump. Not to mention that many people don't do as well as their PT average on test day. The ultimate package is expensive, but it's 100% worth it. You can look at your weak areas and print practice materials that specifically target those question types. There's also video review of JY going over all the PT answers for LR, RC, and LG. I started with the starers package and wish I had gone Ultimate wayyy sooner. Good luck!

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

A 160 would mean answering 10 more questions correct from your 155. This is no small feat. The fastest gains on this test tend to come from LG. If you were to start foolproofing LG now and go -0 in January you might (depending on the curve) hit your 160 assuming you don't underperform in LR or RC. For reference, it took me 2 months of LG foolproofing to go from avg -10+ to -4/5. I never got to -0 but -2 average took quite some time.

The Ultimate package is the best prep course out there but it loses substantial value if your don't complete the core curriculum -- and complete it thoroughly. This is because the curriculum lays a conceptual framework for you to understand what the LSAT is doing on any given question. It also helps you understand JYs explanations since he expects you to have gone through the curriculum already. Maybe most importantly, the framework it lays down allows you to work through these problems yourself before watching JYs explanations. For reference, it takes most people between 6-12 weeks to work through the curriculum and this needs to be done before drilling/foolproofing. You could do some drilling/foolproofing throughout the core curriculum but this would add to that 6-12 week figure.

Because of this, I think it's unlikely that you will score 160+ on the January LSAT.

That's a shitty opinion to share but I've been in your shoes and honest opinions on the forum helped me reach my goal. Have you considered postponing a cycle? You could get through the curriculum, foolproof, and start PTing/drilling in time to test next summer and apply early.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

I love 7sage, I always will sing the praises of 7sage, but trying to work through this curriculum in less than 2 months is not going to guarantee you anything. It would be a stretch if you were studying full time, had no outside responsibilities and were accustomed to studing for 6+ hours a day to improve 10 points in less than 2 months.

I have some questions, #1 - What is your GPA? #2 - do you have to apply this cycle #3 - what do you consider a "top tier" school #4 - what are your career goals?

All of these are important considerations for me to be able to give you advice about how to move forward with your studies!

• ExcludedMiddleExcludedMiddle Alum Member
    edited December 2018 737 karma

Frankly, most people say that Kaplan sucks for the LSAT. So most of your prep to this point has been done with a company with awful reviews for its LSAT content (Kaplan is pretty good for just about every other standardized test). Just given that fact alone, I think it'd be worth your while to get one of the 7Sage packages and work through the Core Curriculum here slowly. But, if you decide to do that, January's test won't likely be a realistic goal for you because it'll probably take you a few months to work through the Core Curriculum (as Ohnoeshalpme said). I think you maybe should shoot for June and/or July.

• kpj744___kpj744___ Alum Member
    edited December 2018 231 karma

Thanks @"Michaela.Pratt1" , @NotMyName , @ExcludedMiddle . I'll try to answer some of your questions, especially since you asked @Ohnoeshalpme . With my spouse having a fantastic job and my two littles, I'm not necessarily looking to move, and so I am not approaching a T14 (or even T20). I know the schools I've been considering have my current score in the 50% median. My UGPA is not the best-- but I have a PhD in applied linguistics. I know that doesn't account for the scoring matrix, but it should help, I hope, with the soft skills. In speaking to some schools, they suggested the January test because by the time the scores come back in Feb., there could still be room for me to petition for [more] money if my score increases, assuming I apply now and am favorably accepted. Whereas with March, the scores come back April 19, which is after the typical April 15th seat deposit deadline for many schools. While I could wait a year, I'd prefer not to based on other life situations - so waiting until next year is a possibility but not preferred. Career goals? I'm looking at either becoming a lawyer in public interest areas / children/immigration / juvenile courts --or-- continuing on at my current university, where I have tenure, with a law degree background (to help further my current area of research, which is in law/policy-related areas). I'd like to do the former, but would be fine with staying in academia. While I did the Kaplan course, I also started Mike Kim's LSAT Trainer back in September.

I'm getting the message I probably won't see much increase, but should definitely invest in at least the core curriculum. Would that mean just getting the Starter pack then? I can say that I have no outside responsibilities (other than two kids post-daycare hours) now that my university's finals are over and I'm free until classes start up again end-of-January. So I can devote time to this, watching my burnout factor. My thinking was that I would study for January, see where I'm at and if I'm not higher on practice, then go for March... OR postpone a year if it really comes to that. I'd prefer not to because of life/work constraints, but I get that some people do that.

I really appreciate all your honest statements, info, and opinions here. Seriously.

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

I don’t care what program you use, trying to make that significant of an improvement in such a short time is a tall task for anyone even if you had chunks of free study time. In a perfect world, you would sit out a cycle, buy some better test prep materials, join a study group and get a routine down for your test in the summer (and, if need be, the fall). It sounds like the world isn’t perfect for you in this respect, however. I don’t like to be a downer, and I really hope you improve your trouble areas (it might even behoove u to hit LR instead of LG for the double points), but it is against the odds. Here’s hoping you overcome them!!!