Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unsolicited Why X Essays Necessary?

edited December 2018 in Law School Admissions 534 karma

I read somewhere that some schools like to see "why x" essays even if the topic is not specifically listed as an optional essay. I’m concerned because I’ve aleeady submitted a few applications without this addendum, and I don’t want those schools to think I don’t really want to go there. I just thought it wasn’t necessary if they don’t ask for it. Anyone have info on this?

UPDATED QUESTION 12/20: I want to write a Why X essay for Columbia and NYU because I am below both their medians and they are dream schools. I originally thought it couldn't hurt to include a short one (350 words or so), but after reading over a super old thread on a different forum, I'm concerned that I may hurt my chances (and annoy admissions officers) by including unsolicited additional reading material...especially given that it's obvious someone with my stats would love to go to their school. Any advice?

Comments

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    edited December 2018 2124 karma

I am not an admissions expert, but I think it depends on the school and what your stats are. Some schools like UVA , Michigan and Georgetown encourage a Why X, but if your numbers aren't that great, a Why X might be the differentiating factor between you and another candidate. Also, if your stats are in the yield protect range, then a Why X can help show the school you're serious about them. I won't stress about it much for the school's you didn't write one for. If you get placed on hold for those schools, probably send a Why X as part of your letter of continued interest. Not writing one won't necessarily harm your application, but a poorly written one could. Hope this helps somewhat.

• edited December 2018 534 karma

@Kermit750 said:
    I am not an admissions expert, but I think it depends on the school and what your stats are. Some schools like UVA , Michigan and Georgetown encourage a Why X, but if your numbers aren't that great, a Why X might be the differentiating factor between you and another candidate. Also, if your stats are in the yield protect range, then a Why X can help show the school you're serious about them. I won't stress about it much for the school's you didn't write one for. If you get placed on hold for those schools, probably send a Why X as part of your letter of continued interest. Not writing one won't necessarily harm your application, but a poorly written one could. Hope this helps somewhat.

This is exactly what I read last night; that UVA and Georgetown, amongst other T6 to T20 schools, want a Why Our School essay. How do people know this?? It isn't listed on their application as a potential addendum topic and even 7Sage doesn't list it as a suggestion under the "Application Requirements" checklist for each school. UVA and Georgetown are both schools I've already applied to. I did submit the optional essay for Georgetown, but nothing about "why Georgetown". I am more interested in GTown than UVA & am just below the GPA and LSAT medians. Did I shoot myself in the foot by not submitting a Why X essay? Should I try to send in Why X essays after I already submitted my applications?

I met with Dean Cornblatt from Georgetown, and he explained that they like to see an application that goes beyond the required material for submission. So that could mean writing an optional statement or a Why Georgetown, because they want to know that you've gone the extra mile to show that you're actually interested in them and not just submitting a generic application. You submitted an optional statement, so I won't stress about it.

I won't really encourage you to submit a Why X essay after the fact, because it might look like you didn't take your time with crafting your application, which you want to avoid. If your apps are complete and in review, just wait it out and if you get waitlisted, you could include it as a Letter of Continued Interest.

Yeah I think it's based on conversations with those school's admissions rep. that people suggest writing Why X's for them.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

It's not 100% necessary to do for each school, but I do think that it is helpful most of the time. Generally, you should always write any optional essays that they list. If they give you a list of 5 topics and say you can write up to 2 essays from the list, write 2 essays from the list. I think it gives off the impression that you are particularly interested in their school. If you do bare minimum, it looks like you are less enthusiastic. Law school admissions are a lot about convincing each school that they are far and away your number one choice. So, anything that can help in that mission will be beneficial to you!

• @"Leah M B" said:
    It's not 100% necessary to do for each school, but I do think that it is helpful most of the time. Generally, you should always write any optional essays that they list. If they give you a list of 5 topics and say you can write up to 2 essays from the list, write 2 essays from the list. I think it gives off the impression that you are particularly interested in their school. If you do bare minimum, it looks like you are less enthusiastic. Law school admissions are a lot about convincing each school that they are far and away your number one choice. So, anything that can help in that mission will be beneficial to you!

I completely agree with that sentiment and 7Sage’s application reqs + suggestions checklist is great at listing what you should do for each school. My concern is, however, the expectation that applicants know that certain schools secretly want Why X school essays even though they don’t state it on their app. Yes, schools offer space for an addendum, but my understanding was that those are meant for explainations of LSAT scores, GPA, illness, etc. If a school specifically offers a Why X essay topic, then I understand the fairness of evaluating a candidate’s choice to write or not write it. But, from what I’ve seen online and what the above comment mentions, schools like Georgetown and UVA really like & want applicants that write one. Why not just explicitly ask for one?? Now I’m paranoid of being penalized or my desire to attend the school questioned because I didn’t write an essay that they made no indication was of value to them. Schools like Harvard, for example, actively tell you not to write one because it’s obvious why someone wants to attend a top law school whereas Duke and UMich explicitly state you can write one. I’m just frustrated because I had no idea this was a thing.

• edited December 2018 534 karma

@"Leah M B" said:

@Kermit750 said:
    I met with Dean Cornblatt from Georgetown, and he explained that they like to see an application that goes beyond the required material for submission. So that could mean writing an optional statement or a Why Georgetown, because they want to know that you've gone the extra mile to show that you're actually interested in them and not just submitting a generic application. You submitted an optional statement, so I won't stress about it.

I won't really encourage you to submit a Why X essay after the fact, because it might look like you didn't take your time with crafting your application, which you want to avoid. If your apps are complete and in review, just wait it out and if you get waitlisted, you could include it as a Letter of Continued Interest.

Yeah I think it's based on conversations with those school's admissions rep. that people suggest writing Why X's for them.

Bumping this thread with another question if anyone can help! I wanted to write a Why X essay for Columbia and NYU because I am below both their medians and they are dream schools. I originally thought it couldn't hurt to include a short one (350 words or so), but after reading over a super old thread on a different forum, I'm concerned that I may hurt my chances (and annoy admissions officers) by including unsolicited additional reading material...especially given that it's obvious someone with my stats would love to go to their school. Any advice?

For NYU and Columbia Why X's, what I hear is that they kinda already know why people want them so it might be redundant to add an additional document on this, but if you have a really compelling reason to write one, don't hold back.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited December 2018 3652 karma

I would submit one now, it’s not too late and it will just further show your interest in the school. If you can make it a Why me/why you essay that would be great. As in, don’t just write about the programs/classes you want to be apart of, write about what you can contribute to the programs/classes based on your experiences. There’s no downside unless you write a really generic impersonal essay.

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

@"Michaela.Pratt1" said:

@"Leah M B" said:

@Kermit750 said:

Bumping this thread with another question if anyone can help! I wanted to write a Why X essay for Columbia and NYU because I am below both their medians and they are dream schools. I originally thought it couldn't hurt to include a short one (350 words or so), but after reading over a super old thread on a different forum, I'm concerned that I may hurt my chances (and annoy admissions officers) by including unsolicited additional reading material...especially given that it's obvious someone with my stats would love to go to their school. Any advice?

Hey if it makes you feel better about your chances, TLS and Reddit seem to be in consensus that T6 schools don't want/need to see one. The exception seems to be UChicago which is open to Why Chicago essays. Also, many people seem to think that Why X is really for helping people avoid yield protection rather than helping them punch above their numbers. I don't totally agree with that idea but I think you're fine for NYU and Columbia.

• saraheq1saraheq1 Alum Member
    122 karma

As far as Columbia goes, I believe they specifically asked for you to explain “why Columbia” in the personal statement. Not sure if that’s helpful or not, but that’s what I did for my application to them.

• bsonya403bsonya403 Free Trial Member
    edited June 2023 2 karma

I think you can get a pro to help you with this.

• Tajira McCoyTajira McCoy Member Administrator Admissions Consultant
    694 karma

Hi @PineapplePizzaSucks and all reading, former admissions officer here! While I think that the person who asked the initial question is probably no longer looking for an answer to this, a response may still benefit others. This can be one of those gray "it depends" areas for a lot of schools. When it comes to Columbia and NYU specifically, if they don't invite the statement, it really isn't necessary to include it. They are very specific about what they want in an application, so it's better to save "Why Columbia/NYU" content for if you happen to land on their waitlist and need to craft a LOCI to reaffirm your interest, interactions with their community, and intention to commit.

For other schools, look at the language in their application instructions as it pertains to addenda and/or optional statements. If they don't specifically ask for a Why statement, but the instructions invite any statements or addenda otherwise relevant to an applicant's candidacy, often a Why statement will be accepted. Where the optional statement or addenda language is limiting to very specific instances, consider that a restriction to only what they have explicitly communicated.

Hope this is helpful!