Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much can stellar LSAT score make up for not so so undergrad GPA?

mattjm1121mattjm1121 Member
edited March 2015 in General 29 karma
Hey all,

LSAT prep noob here and I was just wondering how much of a better candidate I can make myself with, say a 170+ LSAT. I posted a 157 diagnostic, so from the feedback I've received, 170+ is at least within the realm of possibility. I graduated May '13 with about a 3.4 GPA (<<much regretted laziness) as a philosophy major (econ/psych minors if that matters at all). I've been working since graduation. Any insight would be appreciated! I'm shooting for a top 20-25 school.

Comments

• ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    If you can achieve that 170, you can find yourself at a T14.

http://mylsn.info/05fuor/

Used 169-171 LSAT and 3.3-3.5 GPA as your data range.

If you achieve a 172, T14 opens up even more.

http://mylsn.info/8nu11r/
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    What he said ^ :P lol GPA matters and it can block you from certain gpa heavy schools but with the right LSAT you can deff get up into those top schools, and diagnostic isn't everything, 170+ is possible for people with all sorts of diagnostics, just gotta work for it
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2015 3438 karma
    Yeah a 170 almost* guarantees a spot at a T14 unless you have a sub 3.0 GPA... and even then it does give you a fair shot at some of the lower ones if you ED.
  • brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    1489 karma
    I can't speak much to your chances at admission (although the comments offered also seem to fall in line with what I've read in other places) but I did want to add that our diagnostic scores are exactly the same. I scored a 157 on my diagnostic, on December 12th, 2014, and my last 3 PTs have all been in the low 170's. It can definitely be done and I wish you luck!
  • mattjm1121mattjm1121 Member
    29 karma
    Thanks for the great feedback guys. Way to keep my sights up! Keep it up brna I'll be meeting you in the 170s soon enough!
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    The better you score on the LSAT the more options you'll have :)
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2015 2424 karma
    I'm in the same boat as you @mattjm1121 . I Studied Econ and minored in philosophy - GPA 3.44. My diagnostic was 143 :@ and my highest score in a PT has been a 171. Aiming for a 170+ on exam day.

I don't know if being and international student with english as the language I learned in high school will help me in the admissions process though. I personally don't think I am at a disadvantage (quite the contrary ;p) but law schools might thing otherwise.
  • hdzafer9hdzafer9 Alum Member
    edited March 2015 14 karma
    143 to 171 is an incredible improvement @alejoroarios . Keep it up and you will hit that 170+ range on exam day. I just began the 7sage course a few weeks ago. Do you have any advice on how you were able to improve your PT scores so drastically? Did you supplement this course with any other books/ prep materials? I am also shooting for the 170+ range ( who isn't) and hopefully an ED to Northwestern with that big scholly.

Also, to the OP... if you hit the 170+ range you will easily become competitive for some of the t14's. Schools can also mix and match GPA/ LSAT from many applicants. So they can accept you with higher LSAT/ lower GPA and also accept someone with lower LSAT/ 4.0 GPA because the numbers will work in the schools favor. I doubt many of the 4.0 GPA applicants and hustling for that 170+ range. The bottom t14 are splitter friendly so don't just shoot for schools 20-25.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    Great analysis of the numbers game @hdzafer9 !
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    To add to what @hdzafer9 stated, 170-172 will put you in good standing for T14, 172-175 will definitely open opportunities in T10, and 175+ can open up CCN (I'm not sure about HYS since your GPA is a few tenths below the median but, depending on your personal statement, Harvard could be doable as well).

TL;DR: kick ass on the LSAT and almost all the doors will open for you
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Wow @alejoroarios teach me your ways lol but that's great improvement!
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2015 2424 karma
    Thanks @emil1000 and @hdzafer9 for the words :). I took that cold diagnostic right before I enrolled on a Testmasters course in the summer of 2013. After the course, I was averaging 159 so I decided not to take the test in October. For December 2013 I studied like a madman. I took PT after PT and didn't even review correctly. I don't know if one can reach the point where the amount of study one does becomes unhealthy; but, if there is, I think I probably reached that level. Anyways, about a month before the test I reached a 171 after a steady increase in scores. Over the last month studying my scores started to oscillate a great deal (165-170). On December 2013 I scored a 163. I took a year off to focus on finding a job and getting back together; and on January of this year I decided to study for the LSAT seriously again.

In short, I don't think my study method was great last time so don't take any advice from me! I think I'm doing it right now though - the 7Sage way. The problem is that there are only about 3-4 recent PTs that I haven't taken yet and I'm afraid that might not be enough. I wasted a LOT of PTs :@. I'll let you guys know how I do after I start taking PTs again. Happy studying!