Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where to go from here...

TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
in General 1723 karma

I recently took the November exam and got a 154, a one point decrease from my July take. My LSAC GPA is a 3.48. I have been on 7sage for about 3 years with multiple life interruptions mixing in. Its quite disappointing to have invested so much time and be on the outside looking in of where I wanted to be. I made many, many mistakes to say the least.

Anyway, I'm not sure where to go from here. I have a full time job now working for the local county government and I'm just not sure what I should do with my dreams of law. I would still love to be a lawyer! And I truly loved 7sage and how they taught everything. I just couldn't ever seem to make the mental leap necessary. I started at a 148, dipped down to the 130's, rebounded into the mid to high 150's, even got a 160 on a PT but couldn't quite get to where I needed to be.

I'm 26 years old and am starting to get weary of making too many crazy moves. Law school is a big deal and the money is a huge investment and I don't want to be some lawyer on a billboard chasing ambulances. I'm not T-14 or bust but I'm not going to go to a regional school and pile the debt on. I know this community has a good bit of wisdom so I'm humbling asking for your thoughts. Thanks.

Comments

• H.al1997H.al1997 Member
    edited December 2018 318 karma

Ugh. This is so tough. I don't think I have an answer, I relate to this a bit though. I wrote my Dec 2017 lsat and got a 151 (3.3 CGPA, 3.6 L2), after studying for 4 months full time and 3 months part time. I got rejected from every law school I applied to in Canada (wait-listed at one). I started studying again this past October, hoping to gain admission for Sept 2020. Studying part time because I also have a job now, just focusing on LG and trying to smash it because I feel like that's my best hope of getting into the 160s, and it's also the easiest to improve on. I am committed to the law dream as well. That's why when I apply for 2020, regardless of my lsat mark, I am going to also apply to the UK as a back up plan, which I know I will have a good chance because they don't require an LSAT mark and don't even require a degree. Yeah some may consider it "cheating" or a "short-cut," and honestly that's how I also feel about it, but I'm not going to limit myself from a career I've wanted since high school because I couldn't pass a test, and I'm not going to submit to the bs saying that if I can't get in here then maybe law isn't for me. The only problem is the back-up option is extremely expensive, but willing to go for it. It will be harder to get a job (at least in Canada) if you do your schooling outside, but that's where your interpersonal skills come in. Start making those connections and relationships so by the time you finish, you have a job waiting for you. I also think your age puts you at an advantage over younger graduates w/ less experience. It's a lot to think about... all the best to you!

• H.al1997H.al1997 Member
    edited December 2018 318 karma

Have you looked into the Windsor JD Dual program? You'll get to practice in Canada and the States, tuition isn't that bad (compared to the UK), and they accept plenty of applicants around your stats.

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

@H_846507 Thanks! I appreciate the thoughts! I don't think that would be the route for me at this point. I just know in my mind that if I want to do this thing, I want to do it right and where I will have solid career. It doesn't have to be the all big law glitz and glam but I don't want to be a solo barely paying the bills. Doing well at a reputable regional school will be just as good in my mind as going to a big time school. If I'm going to take the LSAT again for a 3rd time, I want to have a great score.

• AshleighKAshleighK Alum Member
    786 karma

A lot of Canadian universities have an option of writing an essay to explain your circumstances/ low GPA or LSAT scores. I know someone who got into Western with a 155! Keep at it but don't be too hard on yourself either because it is possible to get into a good law school with those stats, sure it's not common but if you have other things to offer, they definitely consider that. :)