Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3 Months enough time?

Recently graduated. Started studying in October with this course but only a couple hours here and there a week. Took the LSAT in November and got a148. I plan on on studying full time for the March test. Is that enough time to get into the 160s?

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Honestly, it's not enough. It takes 2-3 months to go through the core curriculum, and then at least a few months of PTing. A fifteen point increase takes a lot of people a year or more. It's not impossible- you might be super gifted with the LSAT and maybe the 148 was an underperformance. If you're wanting to take in March, does that mean you're applying for the next cycle? If so, then I'd aim for a summer test (June or July).

• Beast ModeBeast Mode Live Member
    840 karma

I agree with @MissChanandler I think you already have a great foundation so why not work a little harder to get in to the high160s-170s. Give yourself enough time if you want to do well.

• hurdlehopper101hurdlehopper101 Alum Member
    102 karma

What about 3 months to foolproof and PT? I’m done with CC and had a post-CC diagnostic in the 140s a few weeks ago.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

@MissChanandler said:
    If you're wanting to take in March, does that mean you're applying for the next cycle? If so, then I'd aim for a summer test (June or July).

This.

While lots of "things" are possible, a rapid increase (+12 or more points) such as you are seeking in 3 months would be on the high end of typical outcomes. N=1, it took me ~year to get from a 147 cold diagnostic to a reported score of 163.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

What about 3 months to foolproof and PT? I’m done with CC and had a post-CC diagnostic in the 140s a few weeks ago

What was your BR score? And what's your PT goal? It really depends on your score breakdown. If you haven't listened to the post-cc seminar, I'd recommend it.

• hurdlehopper101hurdlehopper101 Alum Member
    102 karma

@keets993 I BRd 156 and I want at least a 165 before my test in March. I want to start foolproofing but I can’t get the bundle right now. I have Ultimate. Can I use any of the PTs after 35 instead of the bundle? I heard 40-60 was good. Plan on using PTs 60-72 for PTs. May purchase additional PTs as well.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    edited December 2018 6045 karma

I BRd 156 and I want at least a 165 before my test in March. I want to start foolproofing but I can’t get the bundle right now. I

Honestly, three months to go from 140s to 165 is not likely. Especially, since your BR score is below your goal score. I'm not saying its impossible but your BR score, if you did a proper thorough BR and write down the reasoning for any questions you are unsure of, is your hypothetical maximum potential. It's the score you could get if you did it untimed. So if your BR score is lower than your goal score, you need to work some more on fundamentals. Going through CC once generally isn't enough for most people and you might have to revisit multiple lessons. You might know how to do NA questions in theory but getting used to implementing it takes a while.

As for your question about foolproofing LG, I'd recommend foolproofing the games covered in the curriculum and the quizzes. They are a good place to start if you don't have the bundle yet.

If you haven't yet, I'd also recommend watching this: https://7sage.com/webinar/post-core-curriculum-study-strategies/ It covers post curriculum strategies thoroughly and its good for diagnosing what stage you are in.

Again, it all depends on a bunch of factors (what your score breakdown was, how thorough your BR was, etc) and how quickly you pick up effective test taking strategies. Let me know if you have further questions :)

Last thing I want to add is to be careful with your material. PT's should only be taken as a snapshot of your progress, the core of your gains will be done in drills and BR. So be sure you don't waste a lot of PT's. Especially since the next fresh "PT" will be released in... I believe June?

• PhilawsopherKing180PhilawsopherKing180 Alum Member
    26 karma

Honestly, starting in the 140's you've probably got some major deficiencies in your logic skills. It took me a couple months to go from a diagnostic of 153 to a 159 and a 3-4 more to get in the mid- to high 160's. So 4-6 months to get safely in the 160's and my diagnostic was a 153. I'd recommend taking your time and really get the foundations down. If you can find a basic logic 101 class offered by a philosophy department I'd recommend that as well. Then probably going through the CC again before PTing a lot.