Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to diagnose LR errors

MindyKaleMindyKale Alum Member
edited December 2018 in Logical Reasoning 350 karma

For any mistakes I make in RC, I can correct them because there is content in the passage that supports the answer choice and I can make a mental note of how to read more carefully and fix it. Sometimes there isn't much I can do in terms of learning to not repeat an RC error.
Same for LG, right now I am at -0 to -2 (highest) and I do not think I have an issue with LG and I can easily understand/not replicate errors.
But for LR, I am stumped. How do I make sure I do not repeat my errors? I do not have a particular question type where it happens. The errors seem random. All I know is that I have issues answering some 5* rated questions but I guess that's their point? That they are hard?
So in general, how to improve LR?

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

First of all, with where you're scoring, question type will have nothing to do with it. I promise you though that the errors are not random though. The way you diagnose LR is by finding the patterns. Write out as thorough an explanation as you can for everything you struggle with. This should be both an objective evaluation of the content as well as a subjective evaluation of how you're relating to it (or failing to). Do this well enough for enough problems and you will begin to see patterns. You should be looking for things like maybe you consistently underperform questions where they employ confusing referential phrasing, or your errors disproportionately contain comparative relationships. This is the level you need to be engaging with the test on.

• Logic GainzLogic Gainz Alum Member
    700 karma

I'd agree with @"Cant Get Right" . The more you write out explanations the more you'll begin to notice if your explanations seem repetitive in that you'll notice that you keep having to write out explanations for "flaw types with abstractly worded answer choices" or "lengthy parallel reasoning types replete with formal logic". You'll just start to notice yourself having to do this with similar types of LR arguments.