Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who should i show my personal statement to?

Sara_3080Sara_3080 Alum Member

Hey everyone!
So my personal statement is basically done and I've shown it to a couple people so far. I decided not to ask for feedback from most of my friends because I know it'll just confuse me so I picked two trusted friends and someone previously involved in law school admissions at a top 5 school has also looked it over. Who else should I show it to at this point? I want to show one of my old professors who mentored me in undergrad a couple years ago but he already wrote me a long and awesome LOR that I feel bad asking him for more of his time. I want to make sure I am showing this to people strategically though and not just getting feedback from people without experience.

What do yall think? Is it too much to ask my professor? He's honestly pretty young so I'm not sure how much experience he has in this type of thing but he's a great writer and might be able to help me from that angle.

Thanks for your time!
Sarah

Comments

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

It seems like you have a good relationship with this professor so I think it's a great idea to ask him. You could also do the 7sage admissions consulting edit once. I worked with them and it's an amazing service.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    edited December 2018 4850 karma

Second the recommendation for a 7Sage edit.

I would also try to show it to someone(s) who does not know you that well. Sometimes friends can read into your writing because they know you and might unconsciously fill in some blanks left in your narrative. They also might be hesitant to give you honest feedback because of your relationship.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

If the school you went to has some sort of writing lab or career center, they are often willing to help alums. That would solve the issue of being too close to your readers like @LSAT_Wrecker mentioned

• Logic GainzLogic Gainz Alum Member
    700 karma

Agreed with @MissChanandler . A buddy of mine used his writing center at his undergrad and he churned out some solid statements - albeit they were for a PhD program, not law school, but I think that's irrelevant.

I'd say go for the people who are good writers and will be 100% honest regardless of your feelings and ego. You don't need to be complimented on your writing, you need to get into law school.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Anyone you feel comfortable asking to read it--I'd vote for this.