Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Motivation - 7Sage Forum

Motivation

Harvey_lHarvey_l Alum Member
in General 268 karma

Hey guys, I have a question.

This is something I'm incredibly scared about and this is for both my LSAT and I guess undergrad in general?

I get extremely unmotivated to work for it. Life just gets really stale for me that I don't feel like doing the LSAT, even though it's so essential to my Law School dreams and a big determinant!!

What tips or advice do you guys have for combating this, because it'll really help me alot!

Thank you so much! >

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

What year are you in school? When is your anticipated graduation? Have you talked to any lawyers? Have you considered a year after graduation to learn more about careers? Sometimes burnout is a factor in which case you need a break.

• Harvey_lHarvey_l Alum Member
    edited December 2018 268 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    What year are you in school? When is your anticipated graduation? Have you talked to any lawyers? Have you considered a year after graduation to learn more about careers? Sometimes burnout is a factor in which case you need a break.

Junior!
    Yes
    Yes (And I'm open to this option, but I might wanna just take the LSAT and get it over with [if I do really well, that's considered getting it over with) since I purposely made my junior year really light on coursework and made it a double 4.0 gpa boosting year! a little bit of a gamble here, it'll pay off if I make a good LSAT grade.)

You're right, I might need a break, but I feel like I've been on break mode for too long, though this may be because I've been sick so I haven't really touched LSAT as hard for the past four days unfortunately...

• Beast ModeBeast Mode Live Member
    edited December 2018 850 karma

Hi @Harvey_l !

I think it's important first to figure out why you're considering going to law school. You should have a compelling reason and drive to continue with this journey. If you have any doubt or lack of passion, it's time to dig deeper into why you're feeling that way. Sit down and list the reasons for wanting to be an Attorney, your goals and what you wish to accomplish in the future. The LSAT is only a minimal component of what it takes to be an Attorney and it's not something you approach with a "getting over it" sense per say because the exam is not designed to not only test your aptitude but your mental stamina as well. From what I have heard, law school doesn't even come close to how the LSAT is designed to be, it is going to be even more rigorous. This is not to be discouraging or that it can't be done rather a greater reason is needed to guide you in outlasting the mental fatigue and lack of motivation that is present in your LSAT journey and beyond. Remember your only limit is you. You can do whatever you put your mind to as long as you're willing to put the work in and you just have to convince your self of that if you really want to be an Attorney. Exercise, eat right, meditate and have a sleep as well as study routine. Give yourself breaks and reward yourself when you do well on a section or PT.
    Good luck!

268 karma

@"Beast Mode" said:
    Hi @Harvey_l !

I think it's important first to figure out why you're considering going to law school. You should have a compelling reason and drive to continue with this journey. If you have any doubt or lack of passion, it's time to dig deeper into why you're feeling that way. Sit down and list the reasons for wanting to be an Attorney, your goals and what you wish to accomplish in the future. The LSAT is only a minimal component of what it takes to be an Attorney and it's not something you approach with a "getting over it" sense per say because the exam is not designed to not only test your aptitude but your mental stamina as well. From what I have heard, law school doesn't even come close to how the LSAT is designed to be, it is going to be even more rigorous. This is not to be discouraging or that it can't be done rather a greater reason is needed to guide you in outlasting the mental fatigue and lack of motivation that is present in your LSAT journey and beyond. Remember your only limit is you. You can do whatever you put your mind to as long as you're willing to put the work in and you just have to convince your self of that if you really want to be an Attorney. Exercise, eat right, meditate and have a sleep as well as study routine. Give yourself breaks and reward yourself when you do well on a section or PT.
    Good luck!

Thanks for challenging me to enter my own beast mode! You're totally right about setting a routine, I think that's why college has been so tough when it comes to the end of the semester and wanting to just let the break come. :D

• I’m feeling you, man. Remember that objects in motion tend to stay in motion.

268 karma

@FallonAlwaysBreaks said:
    I’m feeling you, man. Remember that objects in motion tend to stay in motion.

I agree with this so much, once I kick it up I kick it up, but a day without touching the LSAT, and that habit starts dragging and my score decreases when I don't work ont he LSAT!!

• @Harvey_l said:

@FallonAlwaysBreaks said:
    I’m feeling you, man. Remember that objects in motion tend to stay in motion.

I agree with this so much, once I kick it up I kick it up, but a day without touching the LSAT, and that habit starts dragging and my score decreases when I don't work ont he LSAT!!

Isn't that phenomenon strange? I've found that I can get away with about a week of rest but when I come back I need to work a little harder to get back into the swing of things. Whereas during weeks where I'm particularly busy and have time to study only a half hour over several days, I still can keep my flow goin'. Consistency over intensity I suppose.