Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HELP! I tend to miss out on the easy questions!

JCUI7455JCUI7455 Free Trial Member
in General 78 karma

Hi! I have been noticing lately that I miss most of my points on easy games (1 game) and not the hardest LR (8-15) questions. So far, RC is my best part given I have seen them before from PTing, but the same should hold for LR and LG. I am currently going back to the basics and drilling LR and LG by type, but I feel like it has more to do with my mentality than skills.

Anyone encountered that before and managed to break that? Would love to hear any advice.

Stats (average): LG -1~3, LR -5~-7, RC -0~-2

Many thanks!

Comments

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

Missing points on easy games doesn't say anything specific enough to warrant advice. It depends more on the nature of the errors. For example, if you find yourself reviewing the question after time is over and you notice that you wrote down a rule incorrectly - get in the habit of double checking your rules every game. If you find that you pushed two rules together hastily but missed a nuance in the logical structure of the question, spend more time on individual questions, or if you answer a question quickly - put a line through the question and return to it if you have time left over at the end.

When you say that you miss "not the hardest LR questions 8-15" I am assuming that you mean that you are missing questions from 1-7 and 15+. The first note that I have here is that there is no bracket for hard and easy questions on this test. While it is generally the case that the questions from 12-20ish are the most difficult in LR sections, it is by no means a hard and fast rule. If you are, however, missing easy questions then, again, I recommend that you review the questions that you missed and do a thorough analysis of the nature of the errors. If you are missing questions because you picked up on a small inference, or are hunting for an answer choice as opposed to allowing the question and answer choices to lead you to the correct answer choice, then you need to slow down your approach and return to untimed drilling.

Your scores are not bad, but it sounds like you might be rushing it too much in some areas. Try slowing down a bit in the earlier questions, or implement a marking strategy to keep track of the questions where you know you spent a short amount of time. This way, you can use some of the time that you banked by rushing though these certain questions to return to them at the end of the section and double check that you are getting them correct.

• JCUI7455JCUI7455 Free Trial Member
    78 karma

@Ohnoeshalpme said:
    Missing points on easy games doesn't say anything specific enough to warrant advice. It depends more on the nature of the errors. For example, if you find yourself reviewing the question after time is over and you notice that you wrote down a rule incorrectly - get in the habit of double checking your rules every game. If you find that you pushed two rules together hastily but missed a nuance in the logical structure of the question, spend more time on individual questions, or if you answer a question quickly - put a line through the question and return to it if you have time left over at the end.

When you say that you miss "not the hardest LR questions 8-15" I am assuming that you mean that you are missing questions from 1-7 and 15+. The first note that I have here is that there is no bracket for hard and easy questions on this test. While it is generally the case that the questions from 12-20ish are the most difficult in LR sections, it is by no means a hard and fast rule. If you are, however, missing easy questions then, again, I recommend that you review the questions that you missed and do a thorough analysis of the nature of the errors. If you are missing questions because you picked up on a small inference, or are hunting for an answer choice as opposed to allowing the question and answer choices to lead you to the correct answer choice, then you need to slow down your approach and return to untimed drilling.

Your scores are not bad, but it sounds like you might be rushing it too much in some areas. Try slowing down a bit in the earlier questions, or implement a marking strategy to keep track of the questions where you know you spent a short amount of time. This way, you can use some of the time that you banked by rushing though these certain questions to return to them at the end of the section and double check that you are getting them correct.

Thank you so much for the helpful tips. I have been drilling and been noticing some gaps in my skills. Will also be more mindful and slow down a bit where I am inclined to think that the questions are "easier", whether they actually are or not. :