Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paused: Admissions Office Hours on Wednesdays at 9 p.m. ET

David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
edited April 2019 in Law School Admissions 7262 karma

Hi everyone,

We are going to put these office hours on hold as we prepare for the new season. If you want them to continue, leave a comment, and we may restart them in June!

📌 Questions? We've got answers. @"selene.steelman" and I are happy to talk to you about law school admissions in our remote office hours every Wednesday at 9 p.m. ET.

🐣 New: Selene and I will start with a short discussion of a timely topic—law school financial aid, wait lists, etc.—before we open it up to your questions.

🍪 Topic: This Wednesday, we'll talk about how to pick a law school.

🎥 Heads up: The webinar will be recorded, and we may excerpt portions of it for our podcast. You can ask questions anonymously, though—either live or through our question box.

🔗 Here's the link to our office: https://zoom.us/j/594695176

--
You are invited to a Zoom webinar.
When: Every Wednesday at 9 p.m. ET

Please click the link below to join the webinar:
https://zoom.us/j/594695176

Or iPhone one-tap :
US: +16468769923,,594695176# or +14086380968,,594695176#
Or Telephone:
Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
US: +1 646 876 9923 or +1 408 638 0968 or +1 669 900 6833
Webinar ID: 594 695 176
International numbers available: https://zoom.us/u/aecZiDV1jt

Comments

• unclesysyunclesysy Alum Member
    106 karma

@"David.Busis" Will each of these be turned into a podcast like the one from a couple weeks ago?

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7262 karma

@unclesysy we decided not to clog the feed, so no. We're planning on releasing one more podcast later in the year with excerpts from all of them.

• NaomiaveryNaomiavery Alum Member
    25 karma

How much do would it cost to have you look at my personal statement and get feedback.?

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

@Naomiavery said:
    How much do would it cost to have you look at my personal statement and get feedback.?

You can buy a package here: http://7sage.com/admissions/enroll
    But you can’t select an editor.

7262 karma

Thanks @akistotle !

7262 karma

Come on over if you have a question!

7262 karma
    edited November 2018 7262 karma

Bring your questions tonight (Nov 14), everyone!

7262 karma

Please join me and @"selene.steelman" for office hours on November 28 at 9 ET!

• MindyKaleMindyKale Alum Member
    350 karma

@"David.Busis" I so want to attend one of these but they happen around 5:30 AM in my time zone. I don't know if other international applicants would be interested but would it possible to hold at least one of the QandA webinars at a different time so that 7sagers around the world could join in?

7262 karma

Hope to see some of you tonight!

7262 karma

Starting in T minus two hours (and change)!

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

Customer feedback and PSA: If you are currently an applicant in the admissions cycle, you need to be listening to these office hours and asking YOUR questions. Unless the admissions committee from your target school is giving you individualized advice, this FREE resource is one of the best things going.

7262 karma

Thanks @LSAT_Wrecker !

• kimw2015kimw2015 Member
    81 karma

@"David.Busis" Will there be a way to ask a question if we call in from a cellphone? Thank you!

7262 karma

@kimw2015 I don't think so :( . You have to be able to raise your hand. Sorry!

7262 karma

Starting now!

7262 karma

Attendees can post here! Recommend an episode of our podcast or a lesson from our admissions course: https://7sage.com/admissions/progress/

• FritoLawsFritoLaws Member
    32 karma

Hey Daivd, thanks for the useful presentation today.

Contrary to what you said earlier in the call, at least one person (me) has read the "How to Proofread" lesson on 7Sage and found it very helpful: https://7sage.com/admissions/lesson/how-to-proofread/

Cross fingers for getting the editing giveaway!

• jezicksonjezickson Member
    3 karma

I'd recommend the admissions course on personal statements. While I had a number of ideas, the offering helped develop a lens through which to evaluate and narrow my thinking. Thanks!

• 5 karma

Hey! This is a comment in regard to the last minute admissions tips. I found it really useful and learned some new things. I think that a good idea for a podcast episode would be for people who would like to enter their personal statement to be edited, and to read one 7sager's personal statement and go over what is good and what could be improved. This way we can see real examples as well as help each other out. Thanks for the lesson, David!

• The webinar was really helpful for giving tips about how and if you should contact a school's admissions office to inquire about your application.

• sarahesherasaraheshera Free Trial Member
    2 karma

I enjoyed the podcast episode with Allison where she talked about her experience at public interest law firms.

• Anonymouse-1Anonymouse-1 Alum Member
    edited January 2019 189 karma

Many schools claim a "holistic approach" to application review. The diversity statement examples offered on the admissions portions of the website; specifically:
    https://7sage.com/admissions/lesson/diversity-statement-4-final-commentary/
    are incredibly helpful but I want to know... at any point are there too many supplemental essays? I don't want to cross a line between being holistic and overbearing.

• skiatook89-1-1skiatook89-1-1 Alum Member
    175 karma

Thank you for all of the great information and advice tonight. The one lesson I would recommend to everyone for review is "How to Pick a Personal Statement Topic".

• stephendausestephendause Free Trial Member
    edited January 2019 8 karma

I'd like to take this opportunity in this comment (in this singular moment in time, on a seemingly randomly chosen discussion) to recommend this podcast episode: https://7sage.com/1-ama-w-7sager-cant-get-right-152-to-176/

I specifically liked how they talked about skipping strategies for LR questions. That's helped me have more time to breathe at the end of LR and focus on a few of the hardest questions.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

I would recommend the Podcast episode with NotMyName4.
    Just listened to the podcast and it was deeply helpful. It was the only piece of media that offered the unique perspective of failing because of practicing too strongly. What I mean is this: because of how well his practice tests went, he had become unfamiliar with his timing strategies, so when he went into the actual test and was hit with some tough questions, he wasn't able to adapt. This was a problem for me in November, and to supplement the podcast, I would suggest building up a library of questions you've had trouble with, similar to what NotMyName4 does, and use the questions from that library to create ultra hard sections to practice and to make sure your timing strategies are solid.

• John Doe-1John Doe-1 Alum Member 🍌🍌🍌
    6 karma

I highly suggest the admissions course especially in regards to Personal statements. The 7Sage crew does a great job of guiding one through their essays from start to finish, with helpful tips and examples for all kinds of essays. The lesson that I actually found the most use for is: https://7sage.com/admissions/lesson/how-to-proofread/

It's very easy when writing an essay to miss mistakes or gloss over something you've read a thousand times. Using the Proofreading lesson I actually found a last minute mistake on an application I was about to submit on LSAC.

Good luck all!

• HouseStark07HouseStark07 Member
    29 karma

Hey! Thanks for the great tips on the webinar!

I would specifically recommend the admission's lesson about outlining and drafting personal statements and building your essay from the top down or bottom up. It really helped me organize my essay and convey how an experience taught me a lesson and prepared me for law school, while still maintaining that personal edge that I want an admission's board to see! 10/10 would recommend!

Thanks!

• buckmartinbuckmartin Alum Member
    91 karma

Great webinar today! Thank you for taking the time to do this!

• GeeVee03GeeVee03 Member
    28 karma

Totally recommend the podcast with @NotMyName about his score jump from a 148 to a 174! This was the most recent 7sage podcast that I listened to, but really helped narrow down how different strategies are needed for different score jumps (what you employ to jump from 150 to 160, isn't the same strategy that'll get you to a 170). It was also a motivation boost considering my original diagnostic a while back was also a 148!

• 71 karma

@"David.Busis" thanks for a great presentation. I have really enjoyed the 7sage Podcasts. I have listened to all of them at this point and they are great for driving to work or at the gym. I would have to recommend Episode #11 7sager @NotMyName 148-174 it really puts into the perspective that following the 7sage curriculum and putting in the study time and hard work will payoff in the long run.

• lsat_kp20lsat_kp20 Alum Member
    148 karma

I think the podcast that I would have to recommend would be the very first one that 7 sage posted, so "#1- AMA 7sager Can't Get Right - 152 to 175 LSAT"

I personally think that this podcast has a lot to offer. I am just going to list a few things that I learned from it, and hopefully this will help somebody else as well.

1. Does not matter at what stage of studying one is at, there is always room for improvement. I have to keep reminding myself this because it is really easy to think that you have hit a wall. I know that I have always tried to find other methods to feel like I have moving in the positive direction again. I know that Josh mentioned doing the entire 7 sage curriculum after taking the LSAT twice. There is always a way!
    2. It is going to be okay. If it did not go well today, then you still have another test date. I know that I am constantly stressing about everything going well, so I can start in August. However, it will not be the end of the world if I have to take another a year off. Of course this specific advice does not necessarily apply to everyone, but I am sure everyone wants to hear that "it is going to be okay, and it is going to work out."
    3. Honestly just kind of hearing him talk about the measures he took to get that 176 was eye opening and motivating. This was the first that I had heard somebody talk about recording themselves take an exam. It seemed so extreme at first, but I do it myself now. It is weird and a bit cringy having to watch yourself, but you can learn so much from it.

To be honest, I could go on and on about this podcast, but I strongly recommend people to go listen to it. I think I learned a lot from it, and I believe so can others. Good luck :)

• Mrs. SharkMrs. Shark Alum Member
    56 karma

There are times where I feel good about how far I've come with my LSAT studies. Other times, I feel like I'm spinning my wheels and am unsure of how to proceed efficiently after doing a blind review. On these days, I listen to the 7Sage podcast. My favorite episode so far has been #11 with 7Sager NotMyName. He really opened my eyes to how important skipping questions is. JY talks about it often, but for some reason, it took a long time for me to implement it during PTs. Another helpful point NotMyName discusses is how your strategy when PTing changes depending on what score milestone you are at. Give it a listen on your next drive to work!

• stevencamendolastevencamendola Alum Member
    150 karma

The webinar yesterday was terrific! I missed the end of it though, did someone win the Edit Once?

• Gladiator_2017Gladiator_2017 Yearly Member
    1332 karma

Thanks for last nights session!

For a podcast topic I am interested in: how to craft a Diversity Statement that compliments your personal statement but avoids being redundant.

• buckmartinbuckmartin Alum Member
    91 karma

@stevencamendola said:
    The webinar yesterday was terrific! I missed the end of it though, did someone win the Edit Once?

Not that I know of yet. Does anybody else know if a winner was announced?

7262 karma

Hi everyone—I chose the winner by putting the commenters in a spreadsheet, closing my eyes, and mashing the arrow keys for a while. Congrats @Bamboosprout! Email editors@7sage.com with the subject line "Free Edit Once from Webinar" to claim your prize!

7262 karma

The recording of the January 16 webinar is available here: https://7sage.com/admissions/webinar/last-minute-application-tips-jan-16-2019/

We put our recorded webinars behind the $10 paywall of our premium admissions course. The course comes free with LSAT Ultimate+; you can upgrade here: https://7sage.com/admissions/enroll.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

@"David.Busis" said:
    Hi everyone—I chose the winner by putting the commenters in a spreadsheet, closing my eyes, and mashing the arrow keys for a while. Congrats @Bamboosprout! Email editors@7sage.com with the subject line "Free Edit Once from Webinar" to claim your prize!

Oh yes! I feel like I just won the lottery! Yay! Thank you for the office hours.

7262 karma

Hope to see some of you tonight!

7262 karma

Tonight only, you'll have to register in advance: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/130d808691c0dd1534538d7d4481ef37

• lsat_kp20lsat_kp20 Alum Member
    edited January 2019 148 karma

@"David.Busis" said:
    Tonight only, you'll have to register in advance: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/130d808691c0dd1534538d7d4481ef37

Would it be okay to write a "why X" paragraph or two for schools who have a well known, established health law program?

**i am interested in health law & my personal statement is basically based on that as well.

7262 karma

Hope to see some of you at tonight's webinar!

• vrendonvasquezvrendonvasquez Alum Member
    276 karma

@"David.Busis" , Will Julian Morales talk in tonight's webinar?

7262 karma

Hope to see some of you there tonight! Selene and I will be discussing what to do when you're waitlisted. Julian Morales will join us in two weeks!

• Jonah Chadwick GriegoJonah Chadwick Griego Alum Member
    652 karma

These are so informative! I am not applying until this upcoming fall as I take my first LSAT this March, but I recommend that all others in similar shoes tune in. Really helps me think of situations that I never thought would come up in the admissions process!

edited February 2019 7262 karma

Thanks @"Jonah Chadwick Griego" ! What else would you (or anyone) like to hear us talk about?

• ychen1026ychen1026 Free Trial Member
    11 karma

Is there a record of admissions webinar on 2/13, or will you excerpt portions of it to a podcast? Want to hear about waitlist. Thank you!

• Jonah Chadwick GriegoJonah Chadwick Griego Alum Member
    652 karma

@"David.Busis" you mentioned it a couple of weeks ago regarding 9 target schools. While it seems generally simple, there are so many options for schools out there regardless of rank that fall within those ranges. Helpful tips and tricks that can help us narrow down that list would be great. I am wanting to be a Navy JAG after school, thus there is no real "specialization" that I am looking as most schools offer avenues for me to refine the craft that the Navy is looking for in clubs, clinics, debate teams, etc.

I understand that visits can be helpful, but I can not afford to visit all the law schools that I am interested in. Maybe codes of conduct in reaching out to schools to express interest before we have an LSAT score?