Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a such thing as too much studying?

BrianAggieBrianAggie Member
in General 124 karma

I just graduated and thankfully I am able to study for the LSAT full time. Is 8 hours a day pushing it? (with sunday off)

Comments

• aydee.gonzlaydee.gonzl Alum Member
    42 karma

Following

• Harvey_lHarvey_l Alum Member
    268 karma

Yeah man, burnout is real! Trust me, I felt it before. So think of it like training for a marathon, a person does not simply run the entire distance on the first day.

Maybe an hour a day on the first week, then incremental increases.

• Rule No 8Rule No 8 Alum Member
    edited January 2019 141 karma

Yes! You can study too much. I remember in the podcasts that one person said studying 60 hours over 6 weeks is better than 60hours in one week (as a hypothetical). The point was that it takes time for these new ideas to sink in. I think of it like learning math. I learn basic skills that allow me to learn the next skill when I have mastered the first skill. I highly recommend listening to the podcasts they are really great. They inspire and inform all at the same time.
    Best of luck!

• paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
    1032 karma

Of course, the concern with studying too much is the ever-present risk of burnout. In my experience, limiting one's prep should be measured less by how many hours are being spent studying and more by how well you are able to maintain your concentration. Our capacity to focus/concentrate is much like a muscle, and so we need to be aware of when we are beginning to give way to fatigue. It's also important to remember that maintaining a healthy sleep schedule and diet, as well as reducing life stresses, is important in allowing our brains to engage effectively with the materials.

As a short answer, I prep about 6-8 hours a day, and that has been a good amount for me. However, I will do a short day if I begin finding myself easily distracted in the midst of drilling.

I would recommend trying 8 hours a day, and then allowing your self to adjust that based on how you feel. If you're near the beginning of your prep, you'll probably find that 8 hours is pretty exhausting if you're being thorough. But, as you become more familiar with the content, in my experience, it becomes less draining.

Hope that helps!

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

YES! Burnout is real my friend. Make sure you take breaks so it doesn't happen to you. You also need time to process the information.

• BrianAggieBrianAggie Member
    124 karma

Thanks for help guys!

• redshiftredshift Alum Member
    edited January 2019 261 karma

Yes, burnout is real. But you won't know where your limits are until you push them. Make sure to take a break when you're getting burnt out, depressed, tired, etc. I do think that a lot of people think burnout is far more severe than it actually is. You'd be surprised where your actual limits lie. Don't be like me and use burnout as an excuse when you simply just don't want to work. I typically know I'm burning out when I curse at the test as I'm doing it, and dream of literally doing anything else