Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dress code for ASD? Do I pay?

OvercomerOvercomer Free Trial Member
in General 96 karma

Hey everyone, I have an admitted students day coming up. So how is the dress code for these events? I've seen forums where people say business causal and others say its just casual. So what is it? Also there is a reception afterwards at a restaurant. Do I have to pay for the food there? Any insight is welcomed, thanks!

Comments

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

I'm going business casual, regardless of what I hear from other sources. I figure it cannot hurt to put forth a professional image.

FWIW, I'm also in my late 40's and spent 25 years in the military, so I tend to be overly conservative in my dress. YMMV.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Business casual is usually a good rule of thumb. SoCal schools tend to lean more casual, and I’d imagine some east coast ones might lean slightly dressier.

For guys, a button down and/or sweater with non-denim pants and dress shoes is good. Sport coat wouldn’t hurt. For gals, a dress (cardigan or blazer over it if sleeveless, and better to go conservative with neck/hemlines - think office attire) or skirt/dress pants with a nice blouse. Make sure your shoes are comfortable enough to walk around in and/or stand for a while. Campus tours, walking between sessions, or standing for receptions are a thing.

You’ll probably see everything from jeans to suits. I think it’s always a good idea to shoot for the middle between that - nice but not formal.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

Only in the off chance that you don't know, schools usually offer a few hundred bucks for travel fees to students from out of state, or even around $100 for some in-state students! If you don't know if they have this, check with someone from the school and see if you can get a stipend!