Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Important to include all work experience in application?

RiseandGrindRiseandGrind Alum Member
edited January 2019 in General 219 karma

Hi 7sagers: Is it important to include all work experience, such as a summer sales associate position in the "employment" section of the applications? I am wondering if I can omit because if I include these positions on the app, that would mean I would need to include it on my resume. I also want to add that I continuously emphasize in my application that I came from a low socio economic background so I worked since I was 16 years old. Therefore I think it would be weird if I didn't back this claim up on my resume. Currently I am at 2 pages on my resume and I don't want it to be any longer. Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Harvey_lHarvey_l Alum Member
    268 karma

Yeah, of course man. They really want to see that you have work experience, and they really do value that commitment, especially if you had an internship or school while you're working.

• Mmm I don’t know about that...

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    2124 karma

Including your summer positions on the employment section doesn't necessarily need proof through your resume. They expect that the resume is more like a highlight reel of the positions you've held, especially depending on your length of experience. Since you have a lot of experience, I would suggest including a couple part-time positions on your resume as schools like to know what you've been up to and adding every thing else to the employment section. They get to see every part of your file so I won't be worried if something isn't stated on the resume, as long as it's included in the employment section.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

I think its important to pay attention to the specific prompt that each school has. For example, I listed a few part-time jobs in my application that did not make my resume because a few schools specifically asked for "Any job, full, part-time, or volunteer, held after high school." However, I only listed those jobs on my resume if the resume prompt specifically contained similar language. I ended up using two slightly different versions of my resume, depending on the prompt.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

If a school's application says to include every job you have ever held in the app, then you definitely need to follow the instructions and list them. However, that does not mean you have to include them on your resume. I'm 34 years old and boy oh boy, have I had a lot of jobs haha. I also worked since I was 14 (honestly, not even sure that was legal but it's true). My resume would be like, 5 pages long if I listed them all. I omitted all the part time things that are irrelevant to my current career on my resume, but yes listed every single part time and temp job I held on the application itself. The nice thing is that once you (painstakingly) enter them all on the app, LSAC automatically populates it into every app afterward. So don't fret, you only have to enter all that junk once. Unless the school specifically asks you to (again, read all prompts very thoroughly and comply with them), you don't need to list them all on the resume.

• ChardiggityChardiggity Alum Member
    336 karma

I called two different admissions offices (University of Colorado and Wake Forest) to ask about this, and both told me that I did NOT need to be exhaustive, but to put in what I thought was a good indication of my experiences. Since every school might feel differently, it might be worth a phone call to your favorites. Or like @"Leah M B" indicated, just slog through it, since you only have to do it once.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Your resume should ideally be one page and no more than two pages. When it comes to the resume, you should try to show a law school admissions reader that you are intelligent, responsible, reliable, relatable, diligent, social, collaborative, empathetic, ambitious, and employable. You should highlight the employment positions that showcase the qualities that would indicate you are going to be a strong, motivated law student and an employable law graduate. If your resume can show a demonstrated interest in the law at this point, that is even better.

Good luck,
    Selene