Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Took a cold diagnostic, what now?

So it’s about that time I get serious with my life and really buckle down. I finished the June 2007 LSAT and scored a 58 RAW (150 cold diagnostic) with the breakdown of 13 LG, 14 on both LR and 17 on RC. My question for y’all is... what now?

I found that almost all the questions I answered were correct but I was getting lost in individual questions and ran out of time.

I’m scheduled to take the LSAT in January but I set it up as a preliminary evaluation to get myself more comfortable for March. I don’t expect to be scoring anywhere near the 160s for January but how do I set myself up for success in March?

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

A couple of points:

1. If your target score is in the 160's, unless you experience debilitating test anxiety, I would not take a scored test "just for the experience". I did and the only thing that I got out of the experience was a test score that I was unhappy with. There really isn't anything magical that happens at a proctored test, you just take a test in the same room with ~30-50 complete strangers.

2. Have you completed the CC? If not, that should be your priority. If you have, then I suggest taking some time and fool proofing logic games and then slowly start the PT / blind review process. Your scores contained in the OP would indicate you have significant room to improve by reviewing and improving on fundamental LSAT knowledge.

3. Are you planning on applying this cycle? If there is not a guy holding a gun to your head making you, I would focus on studying and making a test date decision based on your results, not an arbitrarily picked test date. Your LSAT score will not be determined by the calendar, it will be determined on how well you study and learn the test.

Good luck!

• canasiancanasian Member
    16 karma

Thank you for advice and valuable feedback.

1. In the past I have had test anxiety and I would feel more comfortable taking a dry run course of this nature (mock exam) to better prepare me for the March LSAT

2. I have not completed the CC, the 2007 June LSAT was listed as an optional diagnostic option by J. Y. that I decided to simply "try out". I noticed in the diagnostic that I was consistently running out of time regardless of the section. I failed to even read 2 of the Logic Games and over 10 questions on each of the LR sections. Do you have any advice on selective evaluation of questions and knowing which ones to skip?

3. I am preparing on testing January, March and June in hopes of getting the LSAT portion of my application out of the way early so that I can submit my applications as early as possible.

If you have any additional comments, I would be extremely interested in hearing more from you. Thank you for your time

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

FWIW, I would focus on the CC right now. Take it slow and methodically, with the priority being on learning and absorbing the information instead of speed. Don't worry about the timing / skipping aspects of the test right now (even the time limits / strategies sometimes recommended within the CC). You can work on that after you have mastered the material within CC. The better you get at understanding the logic and structure of the test, the faster your will become naturally. If you focus on "speeding up" or skipping, I believe that will have a negative impact to your learning outcomes right now. Commit to the CC and truly soaking in all the knowledge it contains. And know that it can be learned.

If I can infer your schedule from your posts, I think you are planning on applying next cycle for admission for fall of 2020? If so, I think your plan is solid and that you will be well prepared.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Are you planning on taking all three of those LSATs? I would revise that if I were you. Don't plan on taking it over and over til you get the score you want. Plan on taking it when you're ready.

16 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker Absolutely agree with you. I believe in the importance of fundamentals and agree that without a proper foundation, timing is simply fluff (lacking substance).
    Your inference is correct and I appreciate your vote of confidence.

16 karma

@MissChanandler I am planning on taking January as a dry run to dispel any test anxiety I might have about the LSAT. March will be my set goal with June as a backup. I have a narrow window because I am reluctant on being a guinea pig for the electronic LSAT coming in July.

• 31 karma

@canasian said:
    @MissChanandler I am planning on taking January as a dry run to dispel any test anxiety I might have...

I think this is going to backfire on you. You’re not ready to take it yet. I say this as someone in your same shoes. If I had to sit for the LSAT in January, it would CONFIRM all the anxiety I have about the test because I would bomb it. I also say this with the benefit of having gone through this process before when I tested in 2011. I went from a 155 cold diagnostic to a 165 with testmasters, and i was a pretty piss poor lsat student back then. This time around, I’m battling my dragons (damn logic games) and I’m not going to test until June at the earliest, but the plan is July since I can cancel if it’s not as high as I want and retake in September.
    I really don’t think taking an official test when you’re not ready will help you at all. Take it in June and use July as a freebie backup, with September as your last chance.

• Rule No 8Rule No 8 Alum Member
    141 karma

I would highly recommend listening to the 7Sage podcasts as well. They provide a lot of insight. In addition there is a webinar on skipping that is quite useful. Although I agree with @LSAT_Wrecker that in the CC to focus on understanding rather than timing. It is good to know what you are aiming for as a final result though which the webinars and podcasts help illustrate.
    Best of luck!