Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proven tips for RC?

RC is my worst section! Any tips that have helped you improve a lot?

Comments

• Rule No 8Rule No 8 Alum Member
    141 karma

Redoing the CC is helping me. I’m really focusing on trying to read the way JY does. I’m implementing skipping in as well. Also some folks have talked about foolproofing RC like they do for LG, which seems to be helping me (although I will admit this is new to my studying technique)

• Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    1058 karma

Have you done every RC from PT 1 to 40 at least twice?(I've done a few very difficult passages around 4 or 5 times with more than a month between each attempt) If not, maybe you should give it a try. It's helped me tremendously.

• paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
    1032 karma

Do you record yourself? One of the biggest challenges I've faced with RC is being comfortable with moving on at a lower level of confidence than either LG or LR. Watching video footage is especially potent for revealing how much time is wasted on trying to gain 100% certainty regarding a specific AC when the other four are pretty dismal candidates. After a couple times of watching myself and yelling, "Move on!", I've come to move choose choices and move on more quickly. One of the biggest threats with RC, for myself at least, is wasting too much time on one answer, resulting in a rushed reading of subsequent passages...and it just snowballs from there.

The second piece of advice is skipping questions that you're uncertain about where in a passage you can find the answer. I'm a big supporter of going back to the passage for quick checks, but don't try and scan the whole passage to find the answer to one question...it's just not worth it. Especially since, sometimes the inference questions that are the most challenging are one's that require you to make complex connections between seemly disconnected portions of text. Those are the one's where you should smile...and give it to LSAT writers; you'll be able to more confidently grab 3 or 4 following questions, leaving you still the victor. It's not about getting all the choices, it's about making sure that the LSAT writers don't prevent you from getting the points that you could've gotten.

Finally, and this helps with the returning to the passage, read for structure. Instead of trying to understand the specifics of what the passage is suggesting/describing, pay attention to how the various elements of the passage are working together. Sometimes, for me, it's helpful to remember that it's called reading "comprehension" --it's about pulling things together and understanding the relationships at play.

Hope it helps!