Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to respectfully withdraw your application from a law school?

Hey.

I was recently accepted into Georgetown Law ED. I was just wondering if there is a template, guide, or how-to on how to approach withdrawing from the other law schools I have applied to.

Also, do I have to withdraw all of my other applications by a certain time?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

Congrats! If Gtown ED is binding, I would withdraw all of your other applications in support of other applicants.

The general template I used to withdraw was something to the effect of, "Dear X Law School Admissions, Thank you for your acceptance and generous scholarship offer. While I am grateful for your consideration, I would like to withdraw my application at this time. I am exploring other opportunities. Best wishes, Amazing Law Applicant."

I have yet to have John Wick knock on my door at the behest of any of the subject schools. YMMV.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    edited January 2019 8392 karma

Anything that is polite works. I would just write something along the lines of, “Thank you so much for the opportunity, but I have been admitted under a binding contract at another school, so must withdraw from consideration at X school at this time. All the best, chug1234.” Just be polite and professional. And assuming this is a binding ED contract as is standard, I don’t think there’s a hard timeline but I’d make sure to withdraw everywhere within a day or 2. It doesn’t take long and is a requirement so I’d handle it ASAP. If you’re trying to see how other things may play out... I really firmly advise against that.

And congrats on the acceptance! Good luck at Georgetown. :)

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Yes, agreeing with @Leah M B that mentioning that you're under ED at another school is a good idea. They will understand and you'll be fine. Great work being accepted, by the way! This is a very selective law school. Celebrate!

• Chug1234Chug1234 Member
    11 karma

Thank you all for the comments. I truly appreciate it!!

• Chug1234Chug1234 Member
    11 karma

Also, I can just send this email to the other law school's admissions office correct? I don't have to send it to any specific person within admissions?

• ChardiggityChardiggity Alum Member
    336 karma

You should be fine to send it to the admissions office generally. They'll know what to do ;-)