Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

At what PT does LR start getting noticeably harder or at least different?

Gunningfor121Gunningfor121 Alum Member
in General 517 karma

I keep hearing that LR in the newer sections is more difficult or at least different. When does that change take place?

Comments

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

Hard to pinpoint. I believe the most significant change happens in the 60s but instead of looking for when the change happens, focus on taking it one question at a time.
    Whenever you run into a difficult question that seems extraordinarily difficult for whatever reason, BR the hell out of it. Understand why it was difficult and you'll be prepared next time you come across it.

• Gunningfor121Gunningfor121 Alum Member
    517 karma

@"Pride Only Hurts" It's frustrating because I'm on PT 57 but my LR score is fluctuating (in my mind) by a lot. Some times it's -1/-2 on a section and then sometimes it's -5. I don't know if that is pretty standard but it's tough to swallow considering I'm already BRing thoroughly

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

@Gunningfor121 said:
    @"Pride Only Hurts" It's frustrating because I'm on PT 57 but my LR score is fluctuating (in my mind) by a lot. Some times it's -1/-2 on a section and then sometimes it's -5. I don't know if that is pretty standard but it's tough to swallow considering I'm already BRing thoroughly

I was pretty much the same around the low 60s. All of a sudden my score average dropped like 3 points and I panicked. Don’t worry so much about your score. It’s easier said than done but every time you master a difficult question you’re getting better. Even if your score doesn’t change. It’s a process. There’s nothing better than BRing and getting a question incorrect twice. That means you’ve got a real opportunity to improve in a meaningful way.

• ChandymenChandymen Alum Member
    119 karma

80's

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited January 2019 23929 karma

The biggest changes I noticed happened gradually in the 60s. The good news is, I went in order and the changes really didn’t affect my scores. It’s not like all of the sudden I got to PT64 and was like “Wtf! This LR is harder. This must be the change

You’re using the same skills you’ve practiced, and most of the difficultly comes not from the questions actually being harder, but the same old tricks being less-well disguised.

For example, the ACs on NA questions become harder to negate and use more conditional logic. But as long as you know how to find assumptions and understand the difference between SA and NA, you’ll be just fine. Just takes getting used to. Tbh, I’m so acclimated to the “new” LR, now I’ve come to prefer them.

The newer LRs remind me of watching a new season of a series. Same characters, storyline and drama; but sometimes one of them grows a beard or changes their hairstyle. It can be cringey to watch at first, but before you know it, it becomes the new normal. Lol. 😂

In sum, focus on getting good at LR and the skills you learn will serve you well regardless of the changes.

• Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    1058 karma

So long as you do not jump around PTs, you probably won't see a significant change. This test has evolved gradually, further making itself such a well-written one. Do the PTs chronologically. Many sages have been recommending this approach for a while.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

I think this is a bit of a misconception. The shift wasn't related to difficulty, but rather towards more subjective and more nebulous types of questions. For me, having trained myself on these questions, I frequently bomb early 30's and 40's PTs because I mistakenly approach objective questions with the mindset of finding the flaw. The shift happened, I think, around mid 50's to early 60's, and this includes the addition of comparative passages, more misc LG's, and new LR question types and stems. Personally though, I don't find any range of PTs particularly easier or harder than others. The score is curved anyway, so it really shouldn't matter. Just take it easy and do your best.

• tams2018tams2018 Member
    727 karma

arguments are the same, the answer choices are annoyingly slightly different.