Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why X essay

I am especially excited about a specific program that the school that I'm applying to offers, so I noticed that my essay is basically only about that one program. I discuss how I feel that I can learn a lot about it through the excellent professors, and how I feel that I can go into that field when I graduate etc.
But my question is, should I talk about other types of law too and how I feel that I would be a good fit for them as well... or is sticking with the one topic okay? Is it weird to just really focus on a single program and make that the sole reason I want to go to this school? Please #help

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Reasons to want to go to the school don't have to be directly related to the school. For example, is it in a location that you really want to live/practice in? Talk about that. Do you have any family ties to the area that you could briefly mention? Don't make it all about outside factors, but if you can tie a few in then it won't seem like you just picked one program because you had to pick something. Do you say "excellent professors" or do you name the specific professors and what about them makes you want to learn under them? Anything that can make it seem more personal and less like a brochure for that one program can help.

• 1Science1Art1Science1Art Alum Member
    269 karma

@MissChanandler said:
    Reasons to want to go to the school don't have to be directly related to the school. For example, is it in a location that you really want to live/practice in? Talk about that. Do you have any family ties to the area that you could briefly mention? Don't make it all about outside factors, but if you can tie a few in then it won't seem like you just picked one program because you had to pick something. Do you say "excellent professors" or do you name the specific professors and what about them makes you want to learn under them? Anything that can make it seem more personal and less like a brochure for that one program can help.

Thank you @MissChanandler I will personalize it, and it will probably be better. I did say "excellent professors" and I see now that that sounds like a bottled response that could apply to anyone. lol thanks for your time and response

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited January 2019 3652 karma

If you only mention one program, then you need to talk about your background/your skillsets that you can bring to the program/that would make you a good fit for that program or would align with your interests/your future goals. Otherwise the essay would just be you marketing the program..to the school itself.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

should I talk about other types of law too and how I feel that I would be a good fit for them as well... or is sticking with the one topic okay? Is it weird to just really focus on a single program and make that the sole reason I want to go to this school?

Focusing on a single program sounds totally fine to me. Such an applicant would sound far more convincing than an applicant who claims (s)he is interested in, say, seven different areas of laws, or gives vague and general reasons (e.g. "Your school has accomplished faculty members and collegial environment...").

• haashbrown95haashbrown95 Alum Member
    16 karma

The 7Sage video on "why X" essays helped me A LOT to really hone in on the important topics when I was writing mine. Good luck!
    https://7sage.com/admissions/lesson/how-to-write-a-why-law-school-x-essay/

• 1Science1Art1Science1Art Alum Member
    269 karma

thank you all. And thank you @FixedDice for the encouragement, I agree. Being truly excited about a program that they offer and rank really well in, I think shows that it is a compelling reason to go to them. @oshun1 your comment made me chuckle because you are totally right, if I just extol the virtues of their own program, I'm just selling them something they already own, and it doesn't say anything about me or why it would be a good fit for me. And thank you @hash97 for the link. I've been looking for that